Man without garage buys electric car, then complains about charging | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Man without garage buys electric car, then complains about charging

So you don't think that this thinking of yours will stop people from purchasing electric vehicles?
If you have to buy a house plus the vehicle it seems like a deterrent to move to electric, instead of just re-evaluating the by-laws to provide exceptions as an intensive to others to buy electric like you know... the HOV lanes.

Jc100 - I think no one will give him the time of day if he hadn't purchase the car first, having the car, the parking tickets amount makes the point more credible than to just say " I would like to buy an E-car but I can't because etc".

Anyways, i got no intentions to argue the point but it seemed from what I read that the conversation happening in this thread didn't reflect the reality of the article and people were jumping to conclusions and talking out of their ***** like you know.. always on gtam

In some neighborhoods there is a limited amount of street parking. This is given out with permits. If you move somewhere new, you might not get a permit. This is something that you need to think about, and work through, before you make a purchase. Some people have been innovative, worked through the system, and turned their front lawns into a parking spot. Purchasing a car first, and then complaining, whether it is fully electric, a hybrid, or a gas guzzling monstrosity, should not lead to the city taking a parking spot away from someone else. The city permits allow you to park within an area, and in no way, allow you to claim the spot in front of your house. Otherwise, the government assisted families, with two or three cars, wouldn't have anywhere to park them (But that's a different issue). And yes the word obtuse does seem fitting. If the guy lived here, he could probably arrange to park at the local library, as they have recharging stations that are for the most part unused. Electric cars should not need major incentives to get people to buy them, and buying them, shouldn't deprive others as part of the process.

In some neighborhoods there is a limited amount of street parking. This is given out with permits. If you move somewhere new, you might not get a permit. This is something that you need to think about, and work through, before you make a purchase. Some people have been innovative, worked through the system, and turned their front lawns into a parking spot. Purchasing a car first, and then complaining, whether it is fully electric, a hybrid, or a gas guzzling monstrosity, should not lead to the city taking a parking spot away from someone else. The city permits allow you to park within an area, and in no way, allow you to claim the spot in front of your house. Otherwise, the government assisted families, with two or three cars, wouldn't have anywhere to park them (But that's a different issue). And yes the word obtuse does seem fitting. If the guy lived here, he could probably arrange to park at the local library, as they have recharging stations that are for the most part unused. Electric cars should not need major incentives to get people to buy them, and buying them, shouldn't deprive others as part of the process.
Well at least I appreciate a decent answer to the point on the article and not just one more opinion which seems to be what people are arguing here.

I don't necessarily agree he should be given any concession and I do agree that he should have thought about it and have a plan before buying the car but should also the government not start thinking about reviewing bylaws (study case, surveys, etc) that could pave the way to people moving from gas to electric?

My problem is people keep talking about his specific situation when the article is and the conversation should be about the big picture of the future and if we are looking ahead or just waiting for it to happen and then try to catch up.

But sure , let's hear some more about how you guys disagree with him and how dumb he is without not even thinking what the solution is, after all this is what people do, ***** about others without discussing solutions .

My comments are not at you specifically.

Did anyone actually read the article - he is willing to pay for the installation of cables under the sidewalk, his problem is with the red tape and the fact that laws are not yet changed to accommodate for these types of installations that would be paid by owners.

Here is his point for those with comprehension issues:

Anderson asked his Ward councillor, Paula Fletcher, to help him get approval to park in front of his house at night and to run the charging cord underneath the city-owned sidewalk, an installation he says he is happy to pay for himself.
But Fletcher says that while she’s “all about electric vehicles” and understands his frustration, there’s little she can do in the short term, as both requests would require bylaws to be rewritten.
“I don’t think the city’s moving fast enough,” she said. “We should be anticipating these new developments for the environment and thinking about how to accommodate them.”
You're right, there's no cost to the city related to implementation, they just have to look at the bylaws and revise them (assuming a reasonable solution exists). It might even be revenue positive if they rent out dedicated spots at a higher rate than the first-come-first-served street parking that residents have now.

That may realy be the reporters fault, as it seems there was no specific solution offered by the EV guy, as if he was saying "fix this problem I created" but perhaps there are solutions on the table and they're just not being addressed by city hall?

The cost would have to include engineering and legal costs.

I once asked my lawyer about writing a waiver letter and his reply was the cost of the letter would be a few hundred dollars but to research what to put into it would cost well into five figures.

What would this outlet look like?

A post that might get hit by the city snow plow?

A flush mounted one that electrocutes dogs that pee on it?

ESA regulations

An existing general city ruling that no electrical devices are to be on road allowances in case of emergency excavations are required.

Back
Top Bottom