Anyone had LASIK? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone had LASIK?

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Long story short....wife is starting a new job in another few weeks and we got the benefit booklet today and were wowed....REALLY good benefits. One of them is $2000 towards laser eye correction - something I've always wanted to do but couldn't swallow the up front cost.

I think my own benefits will kick in one years worth of eyeglass coverage ($250 or so) towards it as well, so I have $2250 basically.

Wondering what peoples experiences with it were, particularly if you have astigmatism, which is what I have. I've been wearing glasses for over 40 years and would love nothing more than to ditch them.

Long story short....wife is starting a new job in another few weeks and we got the benefit booklet today and were wowed....REALLY good benefits. One of them is $2000 towards laser eye correction - something I've always wanted to do but couldn't swallow the up front cost.

I think my own benefits will kick in one years worth of eyeglass coverage ($250 or so) towards it as well, so I have $2250 basically.

Wondering what peoples experiences with it were, particularly if you have astigmatism, which is what I have. I've been wearing glasses for over 40 years and would love nothing more than to ditch them.

Have had a couple friends do it (one works there) and have had good results. They're loving the no-glasses life again. Just gotta figure out how you're going to function being blind for a couple days during the recovery.

Just gotta figure out how you're going to function being blind for a couple days during the recovery.

I have a pool. With a beer fridge on the pool deck. And a hammock. I'm good LOL.

I have a pool. With a beer fridge on the pool deck. And a hammock. I'm good LOL.
Hell I'm coming over to be your blind friend for a few days!

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I had it done 12 years ago at Yonge/Eglington. Vision is still good, only thing I noticed in the beginning was at night looking at the lampposts, there were streaks of light coming out in all directions. It does not do it anymore though.

I definitely recommend it's and worth it for me, even if I had to pay full price. Life without the inconvenience of glasses or contact lenses is great.

only thing I noticed in the beginning was at night looking at the lampposts, there were streaks of light coming out in all directions. It does not do it anymore though.

I've heard about that side effect (and to some extent I get it now with my glasses anyways, so it not a big deal), but it's one of the primary reasons that I know my pilots licence medical will be invalidated briefly. Not a huge deal in the end since I've not been flying recently anyways.

How long did it last?

be careful with that pilot license. im not sure if it is still valid unless you get the PRP (no flap) procedure, i know military only will allow PRP.
longer healing time but better results.

i would also advise against any discount places (may sound obvious....but man its your vision) go to bochner eye institute.
i didnt get it done, i wish i did but at the same time my vision isnt bad...i only wear glasses at night, and night vision is harder for them to fix.

be careful with that pilot license. im not sure if it is still valid unless you get the PRP (no flap) procedure, i know military only will allow PRP.
longer healing time but better results.

i would also advise against any discount places (may sound obvious....but man its your vision) go to bochner eye institute.
i didnt get it done, i wish i did but at the same time my vision isnt bad...i only wear glasses at night, and night vision is harder for them to fix.

i call bs, flaps??

Last edited:
Haven't had it done, but had lots of coworkers get it years ago. Some now need reading glasses years later, so it doesn't last forever. No one has had their eyes explode yet that I know of. I'm too old myself and have had glasses all my life, Then again if I didn't have to kick in much of my own money . . . Like others have said go to a reputable and established place. Maybe your ophthalmologist can recommend one.

when you say you'd love to ditch your glasses do keep in mind depending on your prescription you will likely still need glasses for reading. I'm in the industry and we deal with lots of patients, 99% of whom have good results. Its a quite simple procedure, only 10-15 mins per eye (crazy considering the costs) and the places that specialize in it have likely done thousands of them over the years.

as far as not wanting glasses I feel you...I have 20/10 vision and still have 5-6 pairs just for fun/fashion because I just like to wear them for work or to change up the look a bit. For me its not a big deal even though my frames are 300-600 bucks I can usually get a decent discount if not at no charge depending on how much stock I'm ordering, I usually get blank lenses for free. With someone with a progressive prescription or even HD single vision just the lenses can range from $500-1000. So I really don't ever look forward to actually needing them even though I love glasses, including all my sunglasses I've easily got 20+ pairs.

Last edited:
yodude, YouTube search for "Lasik micro keratome" Enjoy.

Last edited:
Can`t remember when I had it done but over 15 years ago . Best move I made . Way back them it was 5k plus .

Best thing I've ever done for myself. No issues whatsoever and 15 years later, still better than 20/20.

I'm now in my early 50s and need reading glasses but that is a different issue and not having to wear bi-focals, it's a small price to pay. If you're a good candidate, I would heartily recommend it.

Laser eye surgery has been around long enough, there should be no surprises, except that it's a delicate procedure and like any type of invasive surgery complications can occur. Somebody mentioned the Bochner Eye Institute, I could write a tome on my negative experience there. This was in the late '90's, maybe the new stewards of that shipwreck are more ethical.

Last edited:
I've heard about that side effect (and to some extent I get it now with my glasses anyways, so it not a big deal), but it's one of the primary reasons that I know my pilots licence medical will be invalidated briefly. Not a huge deal in the end since I've not been flying recently anyways.

How long did it last?
It may have lasted about 6 months to a year, not too sure. But it is gone now.

About reading glasses, they tell you most likely you will need them later on in life.

my neighbor just had a lense replacement instead of lasik, its relativly new he tells me but is a complete fix, no reading glasses or driving glasses. They do one eye , then the other a week later so your two weeks off work and I understand its fairly expensive. He's a big deal with Manulife so I imagine insurance benefits are no issue for him.

It may have lasted about 6 months to a year, not too sure. But it is gone now.

About reading glasses, they tell you most likely you will need them later on in life.

Age related loss of ability to focus up close is unrelated to the cornea. "They" should use plain language.

14 yrs ago almost to the date!

Wore glasses since I was a kid, in my teens switched to contacts. Wore those for a few decades but had to quit as I was starving eyes of oxygen (plastic lens cap!).

So at 29 got LASIK.

That lasted 10 years. Eventually my eyes aged and my sight got worse, so about 4 yrs ago I was back into glasses for distance.

I could get it "touched up" but there is no ****ing way in hell I will ever let someone put another eye clamp on me. **** you Pink Floyd, The Wall screwed me for that. Once is enough.

They can correct deficiencies, eventually everyones' eyes age and they can't help that issue

@yodude they slice the top of the eye so there's a flap. Fold it over. Perform laser surgery. Fold flap back.
@inreb interested to hear about your experience. Bochner is one of the best along with Herzig and TLC.
@PrivatePilot I would avoid the franchise guys that advertise for $500. Read about many lawsuits out west. Also, depending on your rx you may not be eligible. My astigmatism is too severe for lasik.
@LoneRonin I hope people do understand that it may not be glasses free. But if I could even just get rid of my coke bottle lenses I'd be a happy camper.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom