Any companies insure 20 year old on a 750 cruiser? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any companies insure 20 year old on a 750 cruiser?

These are all done over the phone, Andy forwarded me to another dalton timmis broker who actually gave me that quote of 4500. A few companies like intact will insure me only up to 500cc. And sure Pm me a SF rep if you can, although I heard they are rough on new riders now. I'll try anything at this point.

I also called TD to get a quote on a CBR650F for comparison and I got quoted at $11 000 WTF LOL.

(to clarify, 20 with G/M2 clean record no accidents/tickets paying 2000/yr on my 300)

Last edited:
Also got quoted at 2000 for a V star 650

That's insane. My wife is a new rider this year, got her M1 in March and took her M2 course in May. She rides a Vstar 650 now and is paying under $500/year for insurance.

So, I continue to say...something doesn't add up.

As I suggested several responses ago..have you asked WHY your quotes are so high? Go re-read the second paragraph of my post #6 in this thread.

Forgot you're only 20....despite it being in the title. ;)

$2000 for a Vstar 650 is more inline with a realistic number, that given. I still think it's a little on the high side, and again, go back and read my earlier responses as well as Joes...are you actually CALLING brokers? And ASKING why the prices are so high?

The cruiser market is generally very significantly cheaper, and a 750 isn't a high performance bike by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it a terribly bad choice for a beginner bike either. The guy I bought my wifes last bike from was in his 20's (and a brand new rider when he bought it) and was paying only slightly over $1000/year for it.

AllState wouldn't insure my Ninja 250 until I'm 30 because they said its a sportbike. I'm lucky if its got 25hp to the rear wheel...told the broker their rating system is a joke and completely flawed, didn't hear back.

Insurers can't tell sh*t from shinola these days...

Last edited:
AllState wouldn't insure my Ninja 250 until I'm 30 because they said its a sportbike. I'm lucky if its got 25hp to the rear wheel.

Likely more about perception vs HP in the under 25/30 age category.

Young guy guy on a 250 cruiser is less likely to ride in a sporty/dangerous fashion. Young guy on a crotch rocket, 25 horsepower or not, is statistically far more likely to ride in a dangerous fashion because of the simple fact it's a "sport bike".

This was evident to me even last year when I did my licence upgrade course - a lot of the kids in the class ran to the 250 crotch rockets like their lives depended on it but laughed at the cruiser guys. And by Sunday some were already trying to ride them in a sporty fashion - tucked at speed, leaning hard, and I even saw one guy experimenting with dropping his knee. It's fairly safe to say that this sort of behaviour immediately translates to how they subsequently choose to ride on the street regardless of how big their bike is, and the insurance companies are keenly aware of that

Last edited:
So refuse to insure them on a small bike they will be able to handle, and being young and dumb, they just go out an find 600 or 1000 and go for it. Not saying this is a defensible act before anyone gets all bent outta shape, but it's no surprise that more and more plate-less runner types are out on the roads.

This argument has been had lots of times before.

Nobody is being completely denied insurance in the province of Ontario – it's actually law here that anybody who wants insurance MUST be able to get it, even if it's via the insurer of last resort – facility.

There is no law that says it needs to be affordable however, Be it for high risk drivers (tickets etc), or high-risk driver/vehicle combinations.

There is a distinct difference between not being able to find insurance, & not being able to find insurance at a price that some people are happy with. Don't muddy the two.

My son just bought his first car. He'd love to have bought something sporty but ended up with a 4 door econobox instead simply because of insurance realities...but for some reason in the motorcycle world people don't think these same realities should apply.

Likely more about perception vs HP in the under 25/30 age category.

Young guy guy on a 250 cruiser is less likely to ride in a sporty/dangerous fashion. Young guy on a crotch rocket, 25 horsepower or not, is statistically far more likely to ride in a dangerous fashion because of the simple fact it's a "sport bike".

This was evident to me even last year when I did my licence upgrade course - a lot of the kids in the class ran to the 250 crotch rockets like their lives depended on it but laughed at the cruiser guys. And by Sunday some were already trying to ride them in a sporty fashion - tucked at speed, leaning hard, and I even saw one guy experimenting with dropping his knee. It's fairly safe to say that this sort of behaviour immediately translates to how they subsequently choose to ride on the street regardless of how big their bike is, and the insurance companies are keenly aware of that

yea, that's understandable but to an extent, and lets not call a 250/300 a crotch rocket, its about as much of a rocket as a 650 Shadow...

New rider's sure...but someone 25+ with a full M licensed and insured 7+ years, 0 claims, 1 ticket, 100k km+ on a bike and refusing to insure it on the grounds that its a sportbike that's just ridiculous. You can't just group everyone under 30 into a single category. Its like saying all you cruiser guys are porky fat bastards who can only ride in a straight line and that's it.

yea, that's understandable but to an extent, and lets not call a 250/300 a crotch rocket, its about as much of a rocket as a 650 shadow

Its the body style in the end. Sporty cars attract people who often/typically operate them in a sporty fashion. Not always, but often.

Ditto bikes.

One driving style is far more risky for underwriters vs the other.

I agree that it's not fair to paint everybody with the same brush, however one would be naïve to suggest that the stereotypes do not apply to some extent nonetheless... and when it comes to insurance, they are left with no option except for the "paint everybody in age group X with the same brush" approach because statistics show that it generally fits.

Last edited:
This argument has been had lots of times before.

Nobody is being completely denied insurance in the province of Ontario – it's actually law here that anybody who wants insurance MUST be able to get it, even if it's via the insurer of last resort – facility.

There is no law that says it needs to be affordable however, Be it for high risk drivers (tickets etc), or high-risk driver/vehicle combinations.

There is a distinct difference between not being able to find insurance, & not being able to find insurance at a price that some people are happy with. Don't muddy the two.

My son just bought his first car. He'd love to have bought something sporty but ended up with a 4 door econobox instead simply because of insurance realities...but for some reason in the motorcycle world people don't think these same realities should apply.

Make unattainable // refuse. One and the same.

@28, or there about, I paid 4K for the first year on a 250 Ninja. 1 minor ticket. If I was any younger and less financially stable who knows what I would have done. I get a kick out of a bunch of old man far removed from the stupidity of their youth, sitting around here acting as though they never did things they were told they couldn't at 19-20... regardless of consequence. Maybe a few of you were that level headed, but the odds are most, if honest with themselves, were not.

@unL33T that's crazy that they quoted you that much too.
Not just quoted. That's what I paid. Best I could find at the time.

Forgot you're only 20....despite it being in the title. ;)

$2000 for a Vstar 650 is more inline with a realistic number, that given. I still think it's a little on the high side, and again, go back and read my earlier responses as well as Joes...are you actually CALLING brokers? And ASKING why the prices are so high?

Yes Im calling lol, the reasons why is its so high is because of my age and experience, that simple. There is no market really out there for young riders on anything 650cc unless they want to pay out their ***.

Your posts here just prove how retarded insurance in Ontario is, sport bike riders = high risk, cruiser riders = low risk, generally. But yet I'm here being offered $4500/year on an entry level 750 compared to my 300cc sport bike at $2000/year, which bike is more of a risk...especially when your 20?

@PrivatePilot

Make unattainable // refuse. One and the same.

No, it's not.

I'd love to have a Lamborghini, but it's unattainable for me because I couldn't afford one - it doesn't mean a dealership would refuse to sell me one if I could.

Because I can't afford it doesn't mean I am somehow being wronged, it means I have to lower my expectations and drive something else more inline with what I can afford instead.

There is no market really out there for young riders on anything 650cc

Then, being what it is, lower your expectations and look at the 250 market instead.

No, it's not.

I'd love to have a Lamborghini, but it's unattainable for me because I couldn't afford one - it doesn't mean a dealership would refuse to sell me one if I could.

Because I can't afford it doesn't mean I am somehow being wronged, it means I have to lower my expectations and drive something else more inline with what I can afford instead.

Then, being what it is, lower your expectations and look at the 250 market instead.

But we were talking about the 250 market... and how you somehow think it's reasonable to ask a 20 year old to pay 5k+ a year to insure one...

Lamborghini's? Get a grip man.. What I've been talking about here and elsewhere is a simple enough concept to grasp, and happens all over the world, particularly where greater inequity exist. We're widening the gap every year, don't expect these things to slow down.

No, it's not.

Yes your right, I'll stick to a 250 for 6 years, it has plenty of power to entertain me

/endsarcasm

Yes your right, I'll stick to a 250 for 6 years, it has plenty of power to entertain me

Or you could ride it for ONE year instead, get your full M licence on it, and magically find your rates for motorcycle insurance will be lower.

Or you could complain about things you want but can't afford instead. That seems to be the way to do things now.

/endsarcasm
Some members on here have put over 100k on their 250s. #justsayin
I'll try to pm you that info soon. Just wanna talk to them first.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

/endsarcasm
Should be.

Or you could ride it for ONE year instead, get your full M licence on it, and magically find your rates for motorcycle insurance will be lower.

Or you could complain about things you want but can't afford instead. That seems to be the way to do things now.

Out of curiosity, what was insurance on you're first vehicle (or bike if you started @20 or below); and what was your income @20?

This is open to anyone over 45. The days of landing a career worthy job and all the benefit that comes with, straight outta high school are long gone. Want to buy a house, car, motorcycle @20? Good luck. My old man managed all of that in mediocrity. But hey, today's youth are all just "a bunch of cry babies"; coming from the generation who arguably had it best of all, particularly in the last 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom