Any companies insure 20 year old on a 750 cruiser? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any companies insure 20 year old on a 750 cruiser?

Oppoe

20 year old, have m2 for since April but finding no companies will insure me on a 750 cruiser, if there is one out there that can offer a decent rate please let me know

On a cruiser? Only a 750 at that? You shouldn't be having any issues at all unless you have a bad record - is that an issue?

No companies will insure me, I have a clean record. Very stupid policies, I can get insured on 650cc that I know of with Aviva, 500cc is usually the limit with most companies. They are willing to insure me on a 600cc sportbike but not a 750cc cruiser

Last edited:
Something isn't right - you shouldn't have problems finding a carrier at 20, with a clean record on a 750 cruiser.

Who have you called and year/make/mode of the cruiser in question?

ANY blemishes on your insurance history like non payments or past cancellations?

0 Issues with my driving history, and Im looking at a 2008-2014 Shadow 750. TD(4600/yr liability only), Aviva, Intact, RidersPlus, Statefarm so far

Something does NOT add up. You should have zero issues.

Did you ask them WHY they're refusing to insure you...or are they offering you rates that you just don't like? Honestly, something is wrong - there might be something on your AutoPlus record you may not even be not aware of? Ask questions.

If it's a rate issue, well, there's no helping that, although TD's $4600/year is out to left field....$1500 or so would be about what I'd expect.

That aside, call Dalton Timmis tomorrow and ask for Andy Singh. Unless there's something you're not sharing with us here he will hook you up.

These companies wont insure me because 750cc is too high for someone with my age and experience, they wont give me rates. Intact for example I was told 500cc is the max they will insure me at but Aviva will do 650cc regardless of the class of bike. Ill give Andy a call, although I think Dalton insures through Aviva anyways. I know it doesn't add up, its very weird and annoying tbh, thanks for your help

Aviva will do 650cc regardless of the class of bike. Ill give Andy a call, although I think Dalton insures through Aviva anyways. I know it doesn't add up, its very weird and annoying tbh, thanks for your help

Again, something isn't adding up, especially in the cruiser market - if we were talking sport I could half understand the situation, but it's not jiving for a 750 Shadow.

I returned to riding last summer after a 20 year lapse and for all intents and purposes I was effectively considered a brand new rider because despite the 4 years of experience in the 90's, I let my motorcycle licence expire, so I had to start all over again last summer. I bought a big VTX1300 cruiser (1300CC) and am insured through Dalton Timmis (via Aviva) for $450/year. Yes, I'm more than twice your age, but 20 still shouldn't be outside of the market in the end aside from an almost assured higher rate like I mentioned.

But in the end, there are kids in your age range here with sportbikes getting rates in the $2000 range on bikes that exceed the HP of a Shadow 750...and are in the sport category which is automatically more expensive and harder to find insurance vs the cruiser market. This is why things aren't adding up to me.

Anyhow, yeah, give Andy a call tomorrow - he's a good guy, and again, unless something is awry somewhere he should be able to help you. If the rate seems extraordinarily high (anything over $2000-2500 or so) or he too says there's no market for you...ask why - he should be willing to give you the exact details.

These companies wont insure me because 750cc is too high for someone with my age and experience, they wont give me rates. Intact for example I was told 500cc is the max they will insure me at but Aviva will do 650cc regardless of the class of bike. Ill give Andy a call, although I think Dalton insures through Aviva anyways. I know it doesn't add up, its very weird and annoying tbh, thanks for your help
Yeah Dalton insures with Aviva. That's weird you're having issues using insuring a cruiser at 20. I would think they would accept you around 1500-2000 per year. Andy will help, he's my broker and many others on this site!

I started on a 650 (not cruiser) and it was over $5000/year at 24. $4600 on a 750 for a 20 year old doesn't surprise me, even if it is a cruiser.

I started on a 650 (not cruiser) and it was over $5000/year at 24. $4600 on a 750 for a 20 year old doesn't surprise me, even if it is a cruiser.

The cruiser market is generally very significantly cheaper, and a 750 isn't a high performance bike by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it a terribly bad choice for a beginner bike either. The guy I bought my wifes last bike from was in his 20's (and a brand new rider when he bought it) and was paying only slightly over $1000/year for it.

The cruiser market is generally very significantly cheaper, and a 750 isn't a high performance bike by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it a terribly bad choice for a beginner bike either. The guy I bought my wifes last bike from was in his 20's (and a brand new rider when he bought it) and was paying only slightly over $1000/year for it.
I agree but many insurers see bigger engine sizes and jack up the prices. I know when I started on that 650 the agent told me many of their clients are cruisers were paying more than the people on sport bikes because the engines are so big in most cruisers.

I know when I started on that 650 the agent told me many of their clients are cruisers were paying more than the people on sport bikes because the engines are so big in most cruisers.

Horsepower comes into the equation as well in a big way. A gixxer 600 for example makes around 40 more HP than my 1300CC V twin. Now, torque is a different matter, but the insurance companies don't only look at CC's anymore - that went out the window some time ago. They now look at the bigger picture.

Aviva wouldn't insure me on a fz-07 because it's over 650cc, so I got a faster gsxr 600.
Ya it's crazy.

Aviva wouldn't insure me on a fz-07 because it's over 650cc, so I got a faster gsxr 600.
Ya it's crazy.

When was this?

I know when I started a ZX6R would've been cheaper than the 650R to start on. But that was when State Farm pretty much ONLY considered engine size.

2 months ago.
This is with M2. M I believe they have no problem.
Guess that shows that they still haven't sorted it out to consider mostly HP instead of engine size, like I was saying.

Update - finally stopped procrastinating. Best price I got is 4500 a year with TD Ecchon, no other companies would accept me or would charge higher. Still way too much for a 750. Also got quoted at 2000 for a V star 650 but I might wait it out for the 750. Although I also got a quote for 5000 on an R6 with TD too which I found hilarious. Ontarios Insurance :eek:

First I would consider just waiting till next April to get insurance. Keep shopping, but considering how insurance is seasonally rated I can't see starting a policy now making sense. You might get a lower rate with a year as an M2, although with no insurance record maybe not.

It sounds like you may be stuck on getting a 750, that VStar 650 is more then enough for a starter bike. I started on a Shadow 500 and got it to 140km/hr, with power to spare. Maybe also look at a Vulcan 500 or newer 650.

@Oppoe are you doing online quotes? That is insane. What does a Shadow have, 48 hp? Mine doesn't move that quick at all, (no fat jokes @inreb)so not sure why the insane rates. Like @PrivatePilot said, just not making sense. Get on the phone. Call Andy Singh, call Dejardins or pm me and I'll give you a SF contact to try. I would think half that rate would be normal.
@unL33T that's crazy that they quoted you that much too.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom