Need a question answered. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a question answered.

Getoverit

Hi everyone. New to the site but not riding.
I had my m2 a few years back but foolishly let it
Expire. Now to my question.
I just bought a brand new 2016 KTM 690 Enduro r.
But I have no bike license. Have had a G for a long long time.
Can I get insurance without a bike license?
I need it for the finance company.
Thanks.

You may be able to insure it but not for riding by you on the road.

That is what I want to do.I need it insured so I can pick it up from the dealer and for the financing company as well.

There's a guy on here who has a friend who had another friend sell him a pink slip for $300.

If any concern, go write your M1 licence again (you'll have to do it anyways) tomorrow. Half an hour at the DriveTest centre in the morning and the insurance company no longer had anything to be concerned about since you'll technically be licenced again.

Ya I think that's what I'm going to do.
Write the M1 test tomorrow then like you said I will
Have my license so the insurance company should be happy then.

Hope you got insurance quotes on the bike before having committed to the deal? Insuring it under an M1 might be pricy, could be hard(er) than with an M2 already under your belt, but it's getting late in the season to be able to achieve that now, especially if you're planning to ride as one would assume.

I've gotten a quote from my insurance company a month or so ago.I've been with then forever. I'm 47 years old had my G since I was 17. They said nothing to me about needing a license to actually get the insurance.
Although they may have thought I had my license still.
This is all kinda turning into a freak show.
I just want to get the bike home already.
I should have never let my M2 expire.

I wouldn't sweat it, but going and getting the M1 tomorrow morning would quite likely streamline or simplify things. If you get to a DriveTest centre 30-45 minutes before they open there's a good chance you'll be the first person in line (or near the front at least) and you could expedite the process.

If you plan to take an M1 exit course through a college (assuming there's still any availability) make sure to tell them this when you pay for the M1 and they will exclude the ($75 or something like that) MTO fee for the M1 exit road test - you won't need that as the college courses include it as part of the fees.

Be sure to double check that there are even M1 exit road tests available at the magic 60 day mandatory window time period for the M1 before you're even eligble for it - that will put you into November and I seem to remember reading that the MTO stops motorcycle road tests in mid or late October. If you're going to take the training course option then that's moot but I'd get something booked ASAP - you can do it anytime although even if you did it next week you wouldn't get the M2 until the 60 days have passed, but most insurance companies will still rate you as an M2 at that point anyways once you show proof. Some will give you a 30 day window to complete the course and then adjust the policy premiums based on successfull completion of a course within that time period.

I did the same thing with my licence....rode 20 years ago, had my M2 for years, got out of riding and never took the stupid M2 exit road test...so when I came back to riding last year I had to go through all the hoops again the same as yourself. On that topic, FWIW, the motorcycle training courses I've been mentioning are well worth the coin if you've never taken one before.

You can always pay someone to get it home for you, or rent a trailer, pick up etc

Without a license you are euchred even w insurance for you to ride it home. Legally

Ya. I'll just go write the M1 test first thing in the morning. That way at least I am licensed. Not too sure if I'll even be able to do the M1 exit before my M1 expires. Might have to wait till next year and start all over again!!!
As far as getting it home I have a trailer I can always use.No where near as much fun as riding it home but at least it'll be in my garage. Finally!!

Not too sure if I'll even be able to do the M1 exit before my M1 expires. Might have to wait till next year and start all over again!!!

I was going to be in a similar situation myself last year, which was one of the reasons (albeit not the only one, a refresher and additional training after being out of riding for 20 years was never a bad idea) I decided to take the college course to get my M1 exit. That, and since I completed it within 30 days of writing my insurance policy my insurer rated me as an M2 rider right out of the gate instead of M1 at a higher rate.

I'm only about 10-15 minutes from you...hit me up in a PM if you want to do coffee one evening or something, or need help with anything. Similar age category as well. ;)

I will most likely do the college course as well. Either this year if I can get in or next year as soon as I can register for it.
For sure. I'll Pm you Privatepilot as soon as I get all this sorted out lol !! Thanks!

Between Durham and Centennial (both convenient to our location) you should be able to get in before the year end. I did mine in late October at Centennial. Probably worth doing it this year if you can, it'll help with your insurance and by this time next year at your renewal you'll have a year of M2 experience under your belt for the purpose of next years $$$ renewal.

Plus no hassles rewriting the M1 in the spring and starting all over again, as you mentioned. ;)

I'll check out those places tomorrow and see what they have available. It makes sense to just do it and get it over with. Plus if it helps save a few $$$ then it's really worth it.

Year 1 insurance discount amounted to about 30% the cost of the course. Not paying the MTO for the road test portion of the M1 written test (since it's included in the college course) saved $75 or something like that. In the end I think I figured out that the safety course ended up costing me net $200-$250, something in that range. For what I learned and the refresher experience after not riding for 20 years I considered it money well spent. Even yourself, with a much smaller gap, if you never took it before it's really worthwhile - the first few hours will be painfully boring for someone like yourself with previous experience (I know I was rolling my eyes for a while), but when it comes to the more advanced stuff you eventually get to like emergency braking, swerving/collision avoidance, slow speed and high speed maneuvering and such, it was good stuff. Potentially life saving.

For sure. It can't hurt to take the course. No dought some of it will be boaring.But like you said going over a few things to help me become a better rider never hurts. I think it will be money well spent.
I only hope I can get in this season before they are done for the year.
I'll write the M1 tomorrow morning then call my insurance and let them know I have it and hopefully all will go well and I'll get my bike. Y the weekend!
I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow evening.
Thanks for all the advice. Look forward to getting together with you for a coffee.

Well the dream is dead. The 2016 KTM 690 isn't going to happen any time soon.Went and got my M1 this morning. Called my insurance company to get it set up.They did some checking and it seems the rules have change . Minimum requirement is anot M2 license now to obtain insurance. Called several places and was told the same thing.
So the sold sign is off the bike and my deposit refunded. Good times once again for me!

Back
Top Bottom