Check safety for M road test? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Check safety for M road test?

architect

Site Supporter
Will the tester care if my bike is missing a front amber color signal lens cap? I have an '89 JDM import bike and can't get the lens cap from Japan in time. Not sure if they would care about that but I believe it wouldn't pass safety if you're missing one. Thanks.

Tough one. The tester is responsible for giving the bike a walk around and will get you to activate all light prior to driving out. They probably give you a hard time about that and not let you ride it.

Does it have a different lens/colour or missing completely?

Will the tester care if my bike is missing a front amber color signal lens cap? I have an '89 JDM import bike and can't get the lens cap from Japan in time. Not sure if they would care about that but I believe it wouldn't pass safety if you're missing one. Thanks.

Really depends on how picky the examiner is. If it flashes, that will work in your favor, but not a guarantee.

The bulb is there and flashes. It's just missing the cover. Maybe I'll grab some random amber cover and duct tape secure it for the test.

The bulb is there and flashes. It's just missing the cover. Maybe I'll grab some random amber cover and duct tape secure it for the test.

That would probably work as long as it can hold on on the highway... xD

The law says that forward facing signal lights must project an amber light, so yeah, I'd say that a missing lens that is allowing the bulb to project a white light would be a fail so far as the walkaround goes.

Find anything that turns the projected light to an amber colour, even if it's a lens from a scrapyard bike that doesn't fit quite right - so long as the light is amber and the lens is secure enough that the instructor has no reason to think it might fall off (which again, would be a safety issue in itself that could cause you grief) there's not much they can say about it - a friendly explanation ahead of time explaining the situation would probably be wise and appreciated by the instructor, and unless they have a complete bug in their *** I can't see why they wouldn't accept your efforts as satisfactory.

You may be able to find an amber bulb. I know I've used amber 1157s in the past.

You may be able to find an amber bulb. I know I've used amber 1157s in the past.

Yeah, that could work for sure as ultimately the projected light is amber, but I'd be worried that the inspector could say "If it rained the electrical could short out and the light may fail", again, if they were being a total stickler.

I also have a question about this. Anybody know if one can do the test with yellow daytime running lights

Amber forward facing running lights is fine. Rearward amber running lights are not legal - if you retrofit a bike to have rearward running lights on the signals you must also switch the lenses on the rear signals to red.

One more thing, my horn hasn't worked since I got my current bike, PO said it was cuz of the cold (bought during February, rode starting March) but when it warmed up, it never worked. Would the tester check that too? I've been meaning to fix it by getting a better horn from princess auto, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Really worried if replacing the horn won't give a quick fix.

2 years ago my son took my car to take his G test. Unbeknownst to either of us, a brake lamp was burned out. He was sent home and had to rebook the test for 2 weeks later.

My kid was kinda peeved. I don't blame him & I felt bad for him.

And I was out a $econd te$ting fee.

All for a $1.75 bulb.

You take your chances.

Last edited:
When I went for my g, I took my full size ram pickup. They refused me because it had a cap on the back, called it a panel van. They said rearward visibility is not safe. I had to rebook. For the retest, I simply removed the cap and they were fine. Wtf?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

They said rearward visibility is not safe.

If it's legal for the road with a licenced driver I can see no reason it wouldn't be legal for the road for a road test. That sounds like an instructor who was being a jerk IMHO.

I wrote my 365 on my birthday and did my road test for my full G licence the next day (this was long before graduated licensing) in a 1974 GMC full size camper conversion van - it was the family vehicle at the time. No issue, passed first try.

the examiner gave me a hard time on the tires and gloves - "oh the tires are too old and you see cracks on them - he checked the date and was 05 manufacturing and I was riding them in 2012 and your gloves are not leather" - he was right the tires were so old it was actually unsafe for me not him, and the gloves - I told him i am not planning on actually passing the test by falling off my bike - at that speed the last thing on my mind would be the leather on the inside of my glove - I have some protection from abrasion

also, the signal lights he said are weak - he must have been drunk - i told him in case of failure I will actually use hand gestures as it is legal for bike w/o working signals

Why would the examiner care if the gloves aren't leather? The only HTA requirement is a DOT approved helmet.

Dono .. he said in the case of an accident I would receive extensive abrasion ... true but oh well .. I passed so was fine

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

The gloves thing, well...that's in the "advice" category if he was talking to you about it I'm sure - a lot of people don't understand proper riding gear...ie sneakers vs lace up boots, that sort of thing.

i told him in case of failure I will actually use hand gestures as it is legal for bike w/o working signals

If the vehicle has signals it's not legal to operate it without them working. The only legal way to ride solely using hand gestures would have been to completely remove the signals from the bike.

The gloves thing, well...that's in the "advice" category if he was talking to you about it I'm sure - a lot of people don't understand proper riding gear...ie sneakers vs lace up boots, that sort of thing.

If the vehicle has signals it's not legal to operate it without them working. The only legal way to ride solely using hand gestures would have been to completely remove the signals from the bike.

I did it wrong then for a few months. One of the connectors came loose so I rode purely on hand signals...

ignore my statement then

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

as others have said, depends on the examiner. Friend of mine borrowed another friends bike for the M test and the front headlight did not work... no one seemed to notice that. Personally I would not want to risk it, I would get my bike fixed or get a bike that would not fail me on the walk around.

Back
Top Bottom