Shannonville, Tuesday, August 30. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shannonville, Tuesday, August 30.

BigEvilDoer

So, anyone else go?

No tech, as expected. But, apparently they are allowing regular coolant in street bikes. I was very surprised to hear this and there was a general grumble from most track day enthusiasts.

Overall, it was a very crashy day. There were at least 4 red flags today, with the first one being on first session, first lap of green group. From what the person following said, he locked up his rear brake at the end of the back straight, started to slide the rear end, let it go, and immediately high sided. He ended up with a broken arm or similar injury. I would estimate a good 40-45 minutes of track time was lost while waiting for the incident to be cleared, and the fellow to be transferred to a regular ambulance.

There were also a bunch of incidents that required the retrieval car and trailer. Such is life.

The track busy, with about 40-45 riders attending the day.

That's scary about the coolant, but even though it's in their track day rules it's not enforceable since the tech is basically an honor system.

Sorry to hear about the green group rider, GWS. There was a lot of back brake usage going on the last track day I did there too in the green group. In my opinion they need to do a better job with the green group and have those that have never been there follow someone that has been and learn the race line and what to expect. I volunteered and towed a couple guys around for the first session the one time just to keep them on the line and make them more predicable.

That's scary about the coolant, but even though it's in their track day rules it's not enforceable since the tech is basically an honor system.

Sorry to hear about the green group rider, GWS. There was a lot of back brake usage going on the last track day I did there too in the green group. In my opinion they need to do a better job with the green group and have those that have never been there follow someone that has been and learn the race line and what to expect. I volunteered and towed a couple guys around for the first session the one time just to keep them on the line and make them more predicable.

Generally in Green group there is a "pace setter" or there should be. A local pro or Red group volunteer to set a moderate pace and guides Greenies around on the proper lines.

Generally in Green group there is a "pace setter" or there should be. A local pro or Red group volunteer to set a moderate pace and guides Greenies around on the proper lines.

Smergy and I took several newbies around for a few laps on first session. We made it 1.5 laps (to the hairpin) before the first red flag (broken arm incident) occurred.

It was a good day nonetheless. The weather was nice and rain held off. I'd like to know who
the photographer was as well. He was out there for a while.

Photographer was Don Empey.
He's on Facebook. Has some good pics up there and has more you can purchase.

Perfect! I added him. He posted some on his page but none of me. So i requested to see he has any.
thanks!

Who going Sept 22 myself and one other will be there

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OK search me out can't be missed with the leafs and chelsea trailer

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Got to meet xrayhonda! They really should have tech. No one intentionally rides an unsafe bike, but sometimes one misses a bolt or simply isn't aware of a technical detail. Case in point, riders showing up with bald tires and asking "where the coolant disposal is" suggests a need. While tech details are posted on their site, they are a little loose and need updating. An experienced person checking is simply safer for all.

Bigevil and I always try and be as welcoming as possible to new riders and encourage them to ask questions, take them for laps, etc. There are no dumb questions, we all had our first trackday once.

You guys are making me jealous with this track day talk. I might need to look for a track bike in the next few years.

I go out to Shannonville to drag, which is fun, but doesn't benefit the skills department as much.

It was great meeting the legendary Smergy, will definitely take you up on your offer next year. It was also nice seeing what the 1000rr can do, those wheelies between turn 1 and 2 were like clockwork, very consistent and fun to watch. Can't wait for next year, a big thanks to Umer and John for all their help this year.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

It was great meeting the legendary Smergy, will definitely take you up on your offer next year. It was also nice seeing what the 1000rr can do, those wheelies between turn 1 and 2 were like clockwork, very consistent and fun to watch. Can't wait for next year, a big thanks to Umer and John for all their help this year.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

No worries Deon! We still have a lot of work to do on that CBR over the winter.

Does anyone know if they will be doing anymore evening track days? 5-7? They did them earlier in the season, but I haven't heard of any lately.

Does anyone know if they will be doing anymore evening track days? 5-7? They did them earlier in the season, but I haven't heard of any lately.

For bikes or cars? Check the full calendar on the website.
Edit: Looks like the last one is this Thursday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom