Buy (used) in fall or spring? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buy (used) in fall or spring?

smc

Looking to go with something else for next year, hopefully just one bike this time. Since this is my first go around, what are fall prices like in comparison to spring? I don't plan to sell/stop riding my scooter till the insurance renews in March. However I've noticed that cheap old bikes and projects are starting to show up on Kijiji more often now. So buy now or wait?

Prices are going to be cheapest b/w now and when people put their bikes away with hopes of getting higher value for their sale in the spring. If you know what you want, I'd say best time is September/early Oct before they stop riding and call it a season.

Best prices are after September all the way to Feb, then when March hits it's Spring Market.

Buy now for next season, even better into deep October/November.

Best prices are after September all the way to Feb, then when March hits it's Spring Market.

I would x2 this. I bought my wifes beginner bike in December and saved considerably vs what I would have paid in the spring...January and February are "desperation" months for some people who are selling (in an effort to upgrade themselves) as they need the money, so you are really in the drivers seat from a price/negotiation standpoint then.

Looking to go with something else for next year, hopefully just one bike this time. Since this is my first go around, what are fall prices like in comparison to spring? I don't plan to sell/stop riding my scooter till the insurance renews in March. However I've noticed that cheap old bikes and projects are starting to show up on Kijiji more often now. So buy now or wait?

Prices are going to be cheapest b/w now and when people put their bikes away with hopes of getting higher value for their sale in the spring. If you know what you want, I'd say best time is September/early Oct before they stop riding and call it a season.

Buy now for next season, even better into deep October/November.

I would x2 this. I bought my wifes beginner bike in December and saved considerably vs what I would have paid in the spring...January and February are "desperation" months for some people who are selling (in an effort to upgrade themselves) as they need the money, so you are really in the drivers seat from a price/negotiation standpoint then.

+1
anytime after august through to december is the best time.

Fall=lower prices and eager sellers but you gotta look at that bike all winter long just sit there.
Spring=higher prices (but you were able to save more) and you can ride it right away.

So I bought this thing, a 2006 Suzuki DR200 for $1500. Everything seems to check out except for a hole in the muffler. It was originally a trainer bike at Fleming College for 7 years and then a farm runner till now. I've always been interested in dual sports and couldn't pass up a 2006 with 7000km for that price. I might get a lighter pure dirt bike for next year as well since I don't think the DR is 401 worthy.

_27_zpstpota6js.jpg

Fall=lower prices and eager sellers but you gotta look at that bike all winter long just sit there.

Yes the hard part. It now sits in my apartment dining room where I get to stare at it till my insurance renews in March.

Depending on who your policy is with, generally insurance is amortized fully during our biking season from March to September (7 months). You could most likely cover the bike from now until next March for less than 1/7th of your yearly policy and get riding. Still less at the end of the month.

Insuring it now vs the spring won't save you anything (payments are the same all year despite how MC insurance is weighted towards the riding months), but at least you'd be riding.

And smc....why wait until your renewal? You can make changes to your insurance (add or remove vehicles or even move insurance companies) any time you please. You don't need to have the bike with the same company that insures your cars either. Call around and get some quotes, there's at least another 6-8+ weeks of good riding left in the season, and this this winter is anything like last winter lots of us rode all winter long.

Insuring it now vs the spring won't save you anything (payments are the same all year despite how MC insurance is weighted towards the riding months), but at least you'd be riding.

And smc....why wait until your renewal? You can make changes to your insurance (add or remove vehicles or even move insurance companies) any time you please. You don't need to have the bike with the same company that insures your cars either. Call around and get some quotes, there's at least another 6-8+ weeks of good riding left in the season, and this this winter is anything like last winter lots of us rode all winter long.
Agreed. Except that I don't think this winter will be like last winter.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

There is no right/wrong/better/best time to buy a bike in my estimation. If you find a bike at a price you are willing to pay, buy it. If its a good deal it wont sit around long, there is always a market for a decent bike at the right price, anytime of the year.

_27_zpstpota6js.jpg

Yes the hard part. It now sits in my apartment dining room where I get to stare at it till my insurance renews in March.

Seems like a good bike for $1500! Call your insurer and get the quote to see what it'll cost to get this thing on the road. Still plenty of time left this season, and with a bike like that you can book it all around and enjoy plenty of warm days still.

I still have my Fly 150 on the road, that while embarrassingly Fisher-Price has been 100% reliable. Also there's the issue of getting a motorcycle into the dining room of a basement apartment being rather difficult. Getting it out with gravity fighting against me is something I only want to do once.

As for insurance I haven't gotten one nickel back after switching from a 500cc to a 150. I really don't want to deal with Dalton Timmis ever again. I will wait until I have one year of continuous coverage and then switch to someone else.

As for insurance I haven't gotten one nickel back after switching from a 500cc to a 150. I really don't want to deal with Dalton Timmis ever again. I will wait until I have one year of continuous coverage and then switch to someone else.

If you're a new rider that's not surprising...it's my experience that there's not a huge difference in rates in the <600cc (non sport) class for new riders. My wife went from a 250 beginner bike to a 650 mid summer and the rate only increased something like $25 for the entire year.

Not sure what you were expecting?

As for Dalton Timmis....if you don't like them, well...you're unlikely to like the others.

$1600 to $800 with nothing back? Now I know I'm not going to get the $800 difference since I was insured on the 500 for 4 months, but something would be nice. I know I'll have to pay more on the DR since I'd go with comprehensive, so I'll wait.

$1600 to $800 with nothing back?

So, you were paying $1600/year ($133/Month) and your new rate is only $800/year ($66/Month), on the same term just a different bike?

Assuming you started the spring you won't get a refund for what you already "consumed" on the policy on the more expensive bike. If there is a retroactive change that results in a reduction that would be applied to previous months premiums, insurers typically apply any credit towards the remaining payments due, so you still wouldn't get a refund, you'd just pay less moving forward.

Again, I think you're misinterpreting how insurance works.

If you're a new rider that's not surprising...it's my experience that there's not a huge difference in rates in the <600cc (non sport) class for new riders. My wife went from a 250 beginner bike to a 650 mid summer and the rate only increased something like $25 for the entire year.

As for Dalton Timmis....if you don't like them, well...you're unlikely to like the others.

Dalton timmis are somewhat overhyped around here it seems, i had a much better experience with paul south, even statefarm (andy singh was quoting me like 4k for ninja 300? lmao...)

I'd wait until spring to start insurance. It's a long ways away and anything could happen in the meantime and for this reason it's best not to be paying insurance on it while it sits.

Back
Top Bottom