OK spark plug question please take a look. | GTAMotorcycle.com

OK spark plug question please take a look.

GVH

This is not from a bike but a lawnmower. Single mom 3 kids lawnmower didn't start. Trying to figure out how bad this motor is with out to much disassembly free labour on my part. I'm thinking it is to much $$ to fix. Any ideas what happen to cause this. Hard to start 2 month ago but worked and cut lawn. Sitting in her shed since.

tip.gif

My guess is it's from overheating. I'd make sure it's the right plug before you dig too far into anything else.

Likely aluminum off the top of the piston - lack of or very dirty oil is my guess.
Briggs motors don't have an oil pump, just a dipper so no oil or very dirty oil means no lubrication.
Its a 10 minute job to drain the oil and pull the head off to have a look ?

I have an old 8 HP vertical shaft B&S motor - free, just pick it up.
PM me.

Looks like it was running real lean to me.

Are you saying the motor ran the last time it was used? Does it still have compression? If so check for spark, clean carb, clean plug, clean air filter, put fresh gas in and start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motor was hard to pull start last time. Worse now. Looks like air filter was clogged almost solid from some critter or bugs ? Mower was 5 years old all original and never serviced. I will scope it tomorrow.

Looks like it was running real lean to me.

Are you saying the motor ran the last time it was used? Does it still have compression? If so check for spark, clean carb, clean plug, clean air filter, put fresh gas in and start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 repeat once a year, and check oil level.

Motor was hard to pull start last time. Worse now.

Hard as in "difficult to get the recoil to come out without a lot of force", or hard as in "I just keep pulling and pulling with normal expected force but it won't fire"?

If it's physically hard to pull it's likely partly seized, as others have mentioned (and makes sense considering the plug contamination) possibly due to lack of oil. Is it a 2 stroke or a 4...and if at 4, check the crankcase/dipstick and see what the level is?

Hard as in "difficult to get the recoil to come out without a lot of force", or hard as in "I just keep pulling and pulling with normal expected force but it won't fire"?

If it's physically hard to pull it's likely partly seized, as others have mentioned (and makes sense considering the plug contamination) possibly due to lack of oil. Is it a 2 stroke or a 4...and if at 4, check the crankcase/dipstick and see what the level is?

As of this morning pull start doesn't move it at all. Two hands on the blade barely moves at all. I even put a little 2 stroke down the plug hole and still nothing. It was a Tecumseh 4 stroke

As of this morning pull start doesn't move it at all. Two hands on the blade barely moves at all. I even put a little 2 stroke down the plug hole and still nothing. It was a Tecumseh 4 stroke

The Briggs I offered will likely bolt right on - I'm east end T.O., PM me and make arrangements to come and get it.

The Briggs I offered will likely bolt right on - I'm east end T.O., PM me and make arrangements to come and get it.

That engine is pooched....very likely starved of oil and seized now. Take this offer above to help your neighbor, GVH. :)

'twas indeed

I have a Briggs & Stratton I can't kill. Left it out all summer, water in the gas, changed the air cleaner once in 5yrs. Thing just keep running

Back
Top Bottom