Dead bike :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dead bike :(

JP0160

I read about the engine recall on the 2015 CBR300R and CB300F and I've been worried ever since. Well after a 400km trip yesterday in the Muskoka's, my bike decided to die on the way to work today. Was southbound on the 404 near Wellington and felt the bike slowly die under me, drove onto the shoulder and pulled the clutch in and the engine stopped. It will start, but it doesn't want to and it makes a nasty clicking/slapping noise then shuts off after a couple seconds. Called up Markham Honda and they are aware of the recall and said to bring it in and it will take a couple weeks. I'm still under my unlimited 1yr warranty and have all my receipts and oil change records so I think everything should be fine. The thing got fresh oil in it just last week!

I seem to have bad luck with engines this year. My Elantra blew up with only 61k(another recall!), and now my little Honda with just over 19k! Now to prepare for bike withdrawals :(

I read about the engine recall on the 2015 CBR300R and CB300F and I've been worried ever since. Well after a 400km trip yesterday in the Muskoka's, my bike decided to die on the way to work today. Was southbound on the 404 near Wellington and felt the bike slowly die under me, drove onto the shoulder and pulled the clutch in and the engine stopped. It will start, but it doesn't want to and it makes a nasty clicking/slapping noise then shuts off after a couple seconds. Called up Markham Honda and they are aware of the recall and said to bring it in and it will take a couple weeks. I'm still under my unlimited 1yr warranty and have all my receipts and oil change records so I think everything should be fine. The thing got fresh oil in it just last week!

I seem to have bad luck with engines this year. My Elantra blew up with only 61k(another recall!), and now my little Honda with just over 19k! Now to prepare for bike withdrawals :(

I think it's a sign to go in for major recall repairs ASAP rather than waiting until your vehicle dies.

Dude it was a stop sale recall... You should have taken your bike in asap rather than keep riding it, especially on the highway... Youre lucky the engine didnt seize up and buck you off at 120kmh.

Right, the recall notice did not suggest that the bikes should not be ridden. Parts for the recall are scarce and dealers have only been able to even order the parts in the past week or so.

Someone on the cbr300 forum said that his dealer even suggested riding the bike at least every week to evaporate the condensation that is the cause of the failure. I doubt that Honda central would put that in writing though

Last edited:

did you check the nut behind the bars?

Get a Suzuki.!

I can only imagine how terrible you must feel. I hope your bike is fully-repaired quickly and with no fuss/shenanigans. Please keep us informed as to the dealers findings and subsequent actions. Wishing you the very best!

Right, the recall notice did not suggest that the bikes should not be ridden. Parts for the recall are scarce and dealers have only been able to even order the parts in the past week or so.

Someone on the cbr300 forum said that his dealer even suggested riding the bike at least every week to evaporate the condensation that is the cause of the failure. I doubt that Honda central would put that in writing though

Wow, that sucks. Thats pretty irresponsible of honda to suggest riding a bike with a crank known to fail.

I'm not too worried to be honest, and yeah I'm lucky it wasn't more catastrophic. I talked to the dealer over a month ago and they said they will send me a letter as soon as they get the official notice, but didn't tell me to stop riding it or inform me of the stop-sale. I didn't think it would fail given it's the same design as the old reliable 250's but with a couple different parts, but one of the new parts is whats defective.

Honda, the new Hyosung.

R3 recalls....Cbr300 recalls....only one that hasnt cropped up is the ninja...(perhaps a good sign?)

LOL ... as usual, the GTAM experts have spoken.

I had a CBR500R prior to my current bike. Recalls for that model included fuel float shaft separation, bad main/starter relays and rocker shaft bolts that could back out and cause engine damage and/or leak oil. Now they've got another "small" bike facing a stop-sale/recall for defective crankshafts.

Not an enviable record of late for a company that used to have its **** together.

I have a hard time believing "condensation" is the "real" reason for crankshaft failure. Someone screwed up the tolerances and the oil clearance isn't correct - that's all there is to it. "Condensation" is a scapegoat that they can blame it on.

After a 400 km trip, the engine would be fully warmed up, and there shouldn't be any "condensation" left to cause an issue.

Engineers probably screwed up. i'm not hearing a lot of good things about engineers these days.

Sorry to hear that about your bike JP, definitely not something you'd expect with a newer bike.
Wish you the best for your next bike.

Rough :( you got a lotta mileage on that first bike of yours too! Hopefully you get back on the road with 2 wheels sooner rather than later

Back
Top Bottom