Friend crashed his Daytona 675 - Not exactly sure how | GTAMotorcycle.com

Friend crashed his Daytona 675 - Not exactly sure how

Canadian Rider

Group ride around Hamilton and my friend on his 675 dumped his bike coming out of a sweeping turn and even after watching the video I am not sure exactly how this happened. He does not remember what happened, but from what it looks like he target fixated into the concrete barrier and maybe grazed it? Rider is okay, but it is weird because we were past the turn coming into the straight.

Lesson learned on his part thankfully he is okay.

Edit* Looks like front or rear brake locked?

[video=youtube;eISuG8hqSE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISuG8hqSE4[/video]

Group ride around Hamilton and my friend on his 675 dumped his bike coming out of a sweeping turn and even after watching the video I am not sure exactly how this happened. He does not remember what happened, but from what it looks like he target fixated into the concrete barrier and maybe grazed it? Rider is okay, but it is weird because we were past the turn coming into the straight.

Lesson learned on his part thankfully he is okay.

What lesson did he learn?

What lesson did he learn?

Whatever he did to drop the bike was a cause of trying to keep up with a rider in front of him. He wont be doing that again. Riding your own ride is a valuable lesson. Still is weird how he went down after the turn. If anything he was in the clear I thought originally.

At night he could have more easily hit a stone or other debris that set off a chain reaction. Glad he's OK.

you can see it when you slow down the video - he target fixated on something (probably the wall) grabbed a hand full of front brakes and lost the front, watch the video, first the brake light comes on, immediately after his front wipes from under him.

His brake light is still on while his front is going down

attachment.php

Great thing about riding track is that you get the muscle memory of leaning more instead of panicking and grabbing the brakes.

Attachments

• 2016-08-29_10-55-18.jpg
    2016-08-29_10-55-18.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Great thing about riding track is that you get the muscle memory of leaning more instead of panicking and grabbing the brakes.

NO! Track riding does not help you on the street!

Last edited:
dunno about this, know a dude who gave up street riding early on ~ 30, too many unknowns, nevertheless, felt totally at home & safe on racetracks

i went down one time on a very slow right turn on a kawi 500 2 stroke, lost the backend somehow (very sudden, done) but didn't highside, too slow..

it was so normal a turn, daytime, wasn't even cranked over, that to this day, i have no idea what it was about,

from qew then dixie north turn, suddenly down

Last edited:
you can see it when you slow down the video - he target fixated on something (probably the wall) grabbed a hand full of front brakes and lost the front, watch the video, first the brake light comes on, immediately after his front wipes from under him.

His brake light is still on while his front is going down

attachment.php

Thanks for this, it makes sense. I don't know why though when I look at the video in slow motion I have a odd feeling he grazed the barrier first then locked the brakes. Though I think your right

As we know, all kinds of newbies became ditch diggers because they were afraid to lean a bit more.

I even sometimes think I cant lean much more then I can, but looking at my tires its obvious I can. Its about getting more experience and learning and leaning slowly more and more

Not this again. Yes, it does, and the only people who say otherwise have no experience with the matter.
Like.

Agreed with ZX600, looks like he just grabbed the front brake while leaned over and lost the front.

It's pretty easy to tell if the person is an experienced track rider vs not when riding with one.

I, myself, haven't found the time and money to spend time at the track, but pretty much every person I end up riding with does.

Sure, I can take can take corners with confidence at faster speeds than most street riders, but in comparison with a seasoned track rider, there is no way I am anywhere as smooth and can hold/adjust their line as well as they can at the speeds they do.

That is to say that the street is not a track, and I wouldn't need to take turns at those speeds, but it's the level of confidence and stability I would want to improve/gain.

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 (now worth $0.00), since no one caught my sarcasm :(

Last edited:
I thought so but had to ask - mostly because there was another thread where some kept arguing against it and making a fool out of themselves
It's pretty easy to tell if the person is an experienced track rider vs not when riding with one.

I, myself, haven't found the time and money to spend time at the track, but pretty much every person I end up riding with does.

Sure, I can take can take corners with confidence at faster speeds than most street riders, but in comparison with a seasoned track rider, there is no way I am anywhere as smooth and can hold/adjust their line as well as they can at the speeds they do.

That is to say that the street is not a track, and I wouldn't need to take turns at those speeds, but it's the level of confidence and stability I would want to improve/gain.

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 (now worth $0.00), since no one caught my sarcasm :(

I thought so but had to ask - mostly because there was another thread where some kept arguing against it and making a fool out of themselves

If you wear a full face and never take it off who's to know who screwed up?

Not much of a sweeping corner if you ask me ... ;)
But my thoughts is that he was going too fast and was drifting towards the barrier, panicked grabbed the brakes...then the rest is history.

track riding definitely helps, but track guys on motorcycle forums always like to remind the 'streeters how they do track... I can see why people get annoyed by that!it's like i'm better than you because I ride track... yes track riders are probably way better than your average numpty on the street... but then you get the one dude that ride track once a year, or just finished the beginner track course, and acts holier than though even though he got more experience than a 10yearold virgin.............

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom