New motorcycle - end-to-end process | GTAMotorcycle.com

New motorcycle - end-to-end process

zeta_immersion

Got a few questions about the buying process:

1. For new bike the dealership asks for MSRP / PDI / Freight / Documentation / Enviro Fees / GST (you might be able to negotiate some of these) + some manufacturer discounts on accessories
2. Who pays for the installation of the manufacturer discounted accessories? (say $1000 worth of accessories ranging from mirrors to bobbins/slip on)

Are there any other fees added to this process at # 1? how about # 2 (considering some of the accessories may already be on the bike or maybe not)?
Does the freight include dropping the bike at your house or you picking it up from the dealership? (in general not delership specific)
Any service visits with a brand new bike are included in the purchase (some cars have this)? (in general not manufacturer specific)
Do-s/Don't-s with 3rd party accessories installed after purchase would void warranty? (in general not manufacturer specific)

I dunno, maybe ask the dealership?
And yes I'm being sarcastic.

You pay for installation on accessories if you want someone else to do it. You can collect them and do it yourself otherwise.

Freight does not include dropping it at your house, thats delivery and will need to be worked out seperately.

You pay for service, even on a new bike.

Third party accessories only void a warranty if the part theyre connected to fails.

Your dealer can answer all these questions for you.

You pay for installation on accessories if you want someone else to do it. You can collect them and do it yourself otherwise.

Freight does not include dropping it at your house, thats delivery and will need to be worked out seperately.

You pay for service, even on a new bike.

Third party accessories only void a warranty if the part theyre connected to fails.

Your dealer can answer all these questions for you.

fair point on the accessories - thanks bob

Would you guys say it is best to strike a balance while negotiating between service and accessories or go one way or the other? Have heard sometimes the bike gets a good price but service is abysmal and vice versa.

Its going to depend on the dealer but fair warning most of them wont cut you any crazy deals. The margins on a bike are thin. They make most of their money on service and accessories so its unlikely anyone will give you any crazy deals off those either. I know snow city gives you 10 or 15% off service and accessories for 1 year when you buy new from them, that was pretty much the best dealer I found in the city. If youre looking for more than that you'll have to go to every dealer and see what theyll offer. The further outside the city, the more likely they will be to cut a deal since their traffic is lower. I know my dad got a pretty good deal from a honda dealership up in the middle of nowhere, but he also dropped like 60k dollars there in one shot so they were probably more willing to work with him than they would be if you come in looking for an 8k dollar bike only.

Got a few questions about the buying process:

1. For new bike the dealership asks for MSRP / PDI / Freight / Documentation / Enviro Fees / GST (you might be able to negotiate some of these) + some manufacturer discounts on accessories
2. Who pays for the installation of the manufacturer discounted accessories? (say $1000 worth of accessories ranging from mirrors to bobbins/slip on)

Are there any other fees added to this process at # 1? how about # 2 (considering some of the accessories may already be on the bike or maybe not)?
Does the freight include dropping the bike at your house or you picking it up from the dealership? (in general not delership specific)
Any service visits with a brand new bike are included in the purchase (some cars have this)? (in general not manufacturer specific)
Do-s/Don't-s with 3rd party accessories installed after purchase would void warranty? (in general not manufacturer specific)

keep in mind the riding season is coming to an end, and the further away it gets, the higher your bargaining power

Also dealers make profit at MSRP, i'd never pay for anything other than HST and licensing, not paying 500$ for throwing on a battery on a brand new bike fresh from the factory."Pdi and freight" lulz

Fair points. Will give another update in a few months once I make a purchase. This should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Fair points. Will give another update in a few months once I make a purchase. This should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Do NOT pay PDI + frieght, end of season, if they wont budge come back after when the weather is colder or there is snow on the ground, you will thank your wallet!

Play hardball and document the buying experience as it plays out. Remember the dollar is better in your pocket than the other guys. Every dollar shaved off is a win. Get used to telling everybody about your big wins. People will think you're a winner. And you are.

Do your homework and only ever use the "out the door" price. That way there's no extras to play with. I get 15% off accessories at GP Bikes as I bought a new bike there. I paid for installation of accessories and paid for delivery of the bike to my door. There's no reason why any negotiation shouldn't include any aspect of your purchase though. Just be reasonable in what you're asking for.

. Just ask for on the road price. No sense haggling over x and x. When i pull the trigger for my r nine t with bmw aftermarket exhaust, and ohlins suspension basically I'm going say "toss me a on the road price that's best for the both of us"

Last edited:
you can say I'm not paying PDI or Frt , but the reality is the mechanic can work for free and the truck that brought it there didn't run on pixie dust. You can find a dealer that wants to move off a model and he may have incentives from the manufacturer he can pass along, and they may offer some accessories as a throw in, or a one time discount on stuff at time of purchase.

You only get one chance to buy that new bike, the deal you make is the deal you have to live with. That salesman making huge bank working weekends and evenings is hoping to take his kids to wonderland for the halloween scare fest. Make sure only 2 of three kids can go.

Although some of the mystery fees irk me, I do understand SOME of them as Crankcall mentioned above - mechanics don't work for free and they will give the bike a once over before it goes out the door, brand new or not.

However, when it comes to fees you can't identify, question them. "Enviro fees" on a brand new bike? Ask what for. "Documentation Fee"? Again, what for - are you paying for them to go to the ministry and change the ownership? IMHO that should be part of their expenses as a business, not yours...and it takes then only a few minutes at the dealer wicket.

I'd certainly negotiate a little, especially (again, as others mentioned) this time of year when sales are starting to drastically slow I'm sure.

Any kind of administrative or document fee is straight up bullcrap so don't pay that.

The licensing charge is usually very small, on the other hand, like 20 bucks but yes, you should be able to get out of that too.

Tire levy is legit but shouldn't be more than $3.55 a tire.

Freight is by far the biggest hit on the wallet and there's not much you can do about it.

It varies of course, but on most vehicles the dealer markup is around 10%. Look for manufacturer's promotions, which come on top of what you can negotiate from a dealer. Last year's models or older are often heavily discounted.

I might be mistaken, but arent dealers making profit at MSRP? Profit, as in they make money after all the costs.

It has been my experience and those that have also bought new that almost everything is negotiable.
As the riding season is waning and the new bikes will be coming soon, you can probably get a good deal on last years model, just as soon as the snow flies.
I have also made good deals on optional equipment.
I want two options One costs $1000 and one costs $500.
I'll pay full price for the $1000 one if you throw in the $500 one for free.
That sort of thing.
If the bike you're buying has undergone major changes in the new model and the old bling won't fit the new bike, you'll be amazed at how reasonable a dealer will be if they have the old bling in stock.

Back
Top Bottom