Motorcycles and Laptop carrying | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycles and Laptop carrying

Curious on how this would compare to the Mach 5 bag series, the price range is rather similar and I believe both to be rather "tough" and water resistant. During pouring rain, I'm sure they still get wet inside. Although that'd be nice if I was wrong.

Actually, they have a sleeve that's pretty much totally waterproof, unless you dunk it in a lake.

Can't see it being any different than the people who walk around university with their laptops in their bag that constantly keep slapping their back. Doesn't break for them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Can't see it being any different than the people who walk around university with their laptops in their bag that constantly keep slapping their back. Doesn't break for them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

There was a point where I used to do exactly as you described.

Occasionally, (maybe once every one or two weeks), it would manage to wake itself up while in a laptop case + backpack. It would heat up enough for it to unbearable levels of heat if you were to put your hand on the bottom of the laptop (or laptop on your lap). This was usually over a 15 minute period or so.

That laptop did suffer pre-mature hard drive failure (after about 1.5 years), and the plastics were definitely warped.

This is probably getting too technical, but whatever. The processor itself is unlikely to get damaged - pretty much all modern CPUs have robust thermal throttling to protect themselves. This does not hold true for pretty much everything else. It would have to get nice and hot, not merely warm, but damage could range from weakening adhesives (not a big deal as it's usually only to hold cables in place while the laptop is being assembled) to stuff warping (see multiple generations of Apple laptops) to pushing marginal solder connections past their failure point (bigger deal for laptops made roughly '05-'10). Also RAM in laptops seems to like any excuse to fail so I imagine heat will only make it worse. Still not something you want to push too much because consumer laptops do not have one iota more of cooling ability than they strictly need. Logging of temperature sensors will not tell you everything as you could be developing hotspots on components that do not have any kind of thermal monitoring.

I am merely trying to point out risk factors and am not saying that your laptop will definitely catch fire, burn your house down and cause your wife and kids to leave you (or if you don't got those, your dog)

Hey, if someone wants to put their laptop to the test, let them. :)
I'm curious of what temps they actually reach in that scenario..

I have never seen RAM actually fail as they're designed to get stupid hot. Back in the day, :rolleyes:, they used to get so hot, they turned black... It was just up to the maintenance person to just wipe it off when it got bad enough. That being said, I have burned my fingers on RAM before..

As you said, a modern laptop would never be hot enough to put the user at the risk of any harm. Conversation is merely for the risk factor of damaging the device itself.

Last edited:
Pre FJ-09/Givi: OGIO Mach 5. Laptop is slipped into a drybag.

But now I just put it in my luggage unless I need to carry more things.

Computer??! Pffft!

article-0-003B885F000004B0-330_468x286.jpg

you can carry your computer too, easy even with a scooter :)

2RubJx5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom