Motorcycles and Laptop carrying | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycles and Laptop carrying

To the point of leaving the laptop running in the backpack:
The Hard Drive isn't the only thing to worry about when running the laptop in a case/backpack.
It's the amount of heat the laptop generates with no airflow that will damage components. If you've ever touched the insides of a computer after it's been running for a 10+ minutes, you'll know how hot it really gets in there..

Fair point. Screen off with bare minimum running in background, never had the fans come on.. that said, never rode in +30 with it either.

Do ppl really have that much trouble or find backpacks to be that uncomfortable? I take my bike to school, to work and in my entire 5 years of riding I think I've only been on without a backpack maybe 15% of the time and that's mostly when I 2up. Laptop in backpack as well and never an issue, although have to admit having the laptop in my bag would suck if I were going anywhere other than school which is 30 min commute.

I get that riding with a backpack is uncomfortable, but how is it stupid from a commuting standpoint to the point where you're "Off balance"?

Yeah, if you let your backpack hang to your *** like a high-school kid, it could shift around when cornering, but how "off balance" could you realistically be where it effects riding in a straight line in Ontario?

Top boxes would be preferable, but it comes down to $$, and usually a few hundred dollars at that.

I have no idea where you're coming from in regards to the "North American look"... Who actually WANTS to ride with extra luggage...?

As for going down with a backpack... Please refer to the video posted of me going down with my backpack. A laptop would simply be crushed if the rider should land on it. Falling on the street, there are a lot more that you can collide with that can break your bones than whats in your luggage. (Unless you decide to carry sharp or small/hard objects - ie. screwdriver).

If the argument is contents breaking, having a backpack with a bungee net wont save it, carrying it in side cases wont save it, and the only option is a large enough top case.
So far every person I've seen go down with side-cases, had them crack and open up throwing things everywhere while going less than 40km/h...
My comment about nth American look is about how sport bikes have a different image here than other places where even gixers are more of a workhorse bike...

Just about every sport bike with a top box pic online is from Europe or downunder

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/Funners/media/Givi Top Box/GiviTopbox006.jpg.html

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...7YVH_zxCusM2PPDQJY8vZCW8RCzq7-DAu2zGPbsEb34DQ

My comment about nth American look is about how sport bikes have a different image here than other places where even gixers are more of a workhorse bike...

Just about every sport bike with a top box pic online is from Europe or downunder

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/Funners/media/Givi Top Box/GiviTopbox006.jpg.html

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...7YVH_zxCusM2PPDQJY8vZCW8RCzq7-DAu2zGPbsEb34DQ

I guess I wouldn't fall into the "sport bike" image here because I don't have a "real bike" (SuperSport).... :rolleyes:

One question. Thirteen answers, all saying the same thing. Lol

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I'll go with a different answer.

If you have a SSD, you have pretty much nothing to worry about. I'd use a sleeve with some padding to protect against physical damage, but that's it.

I commuted for 4 or 5 years with a laptop in a top case without problems, but I only transported it when it was completely shut down so that the hard drive was properly parked. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you have some foam on the bottom of the bag or case to absorb bumps. If you have a SSD I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The vibrations won't be great for it, but assuming your bike isn't terrible it should be 'ok' to do. Make sure the laptop is actually 100% off (not sleeping). I'd also recommend wrapping it in a shirt or something, and making sure it is packed tightly so it wont' rattle around in the back/luggage.

Also, if you are going to be doing this a lot, get or make sure your laptop has a SSD (solid state drive) vs a HDD (hard disk drive). Hard drives have moving parts that have a tolerance of less than a width of a human hair, and bad things happen if you mistreat them. A SSD on the other hand is like a USB key, which means it can probably go through hell and back.

I know in my case, I actually resurrected an older laptop from work (needed $100-200 in parts) since it fits in my tail or tank bag, and (now) has an SSD in it.

I'll go with a different answer.

If you have a SSD, you have pretty much nothing to worry about. I'd use a sleeve with some padding to protect against physical damage, but that's it.

How is your answer any different, minus how to carry the laptop itself?

How is your answer any different, minus how to carry the laptop itself?

Shutting it down makes zero difference, SSD drives have zero moving drives. The whole point of shutting down is so the hard drive doesn't crash with the plates spinning if it experiences shock. This is a non issue with a SSD. There are virtually zero moving parts in a modern laptop, outside of the dvd/cd player (and who uses that?).

Shutting it down makes zero difference, SSD drives have zero moving drives. The whole point of shutting down is so the hard drive doesn't crash with the plates spinning if it experiences shock. This is a non issue with a SSD. There are virtually zero moving parts in a modern laptop, outside of the dvd/cd player (and who uses that?).

The problem with having it in a hibernated or sleep mode is that the shock of a bump, or the compression of the lid, can wake the laptop in an enclosed area causing it to overheat. (Assuming you have something wrapped around it padding it from thrashing around).

FWIW, I think different laptops have a different default setting of what is required to wake a computer from a hibernated mode needing to press the power button vs any key/click.

Last edited:
The problem with having it in a hibernated or sleep mode is that the shock of a bump, or the compression of the lid, can wake the laptop in an enclosed area causing it to overheat. (Assuming you have something wrapped around it padding it from thrashing around).

FWIW, I think different laptops have a different default setting of what is required to wake a computer from a hibernated mode needing to press the power button vs any key/click.

I don't think I have ever, not once, considered my laptop could overheat. Regardless of the scenario.

Pretty sure most modern laptops and other high tech electronics will temporarily turn off if the operating temperature is outside of it's safe parameters.

I don't think I have ever, not once, considered my laptop could overheat. Regardless of the scenario.

Pretty sure most modern laptops and other high tech electronics will temporarily turn off if the operating temperature is outside of it's safe parameters.
Some do, but most will only shut itself off when they've already exceeded safe operating temperatures that can damage other components.

Example, the heat from the processor gets so hot so fast, it requires a heat sink to distrubute the heat so that the moving air from the fan can cool it much faster. If that heat isn't going anywhere, it is distributing the heat to the confines of the laptop/enclosed area. Many components inside the laptop have much lower melting points such as the wires connecting your wireless network adaptor, fan, connectors to your keyboard, touchpad, and screen.

If you don't see an immediate effect, it doesn't mean damage isn't being done.

Ever see a laptop key melt from underneath the keyboard...?

Last edited:
But you have to ask yourself, what does a laptop have to be doing to generate that level of heat? I can sit on the couch and read a document for near an hour without the fan coming on. I don't disagree that heat can be a concern, but not on the level of HDD failure... For my data logging purposes, I have ZERO concern with an SSD installed.

But you have to ask yourself, what does a laptop have to be doing to generate that level of heat? I can sit on the couch and read a document for near an hour without the fan coming on. I don't disagree that heat can be a concern, but not on the level of HDD failure... For my data logging purposes, I have ZERO concern with an SSD installed.

Your laptop is still passively dissipating heat when it's in your lap, fan on or not. Once you put it in a small confined space, that space becomes a low power oven. Also consider that some SSDs can still be drawing 1-3W of power at idle, not vastly more efficient than an HDD. It's still probably not an issue, just be aware that in some edge cases you may have trouble. I would be wary of trusting most cheaply built consumer laptops (HP, Compaq, Acer) in that situation

HDD vs SSD has nothing to do with efficiency in this context; rather moving parts vs no moving parts

The SSD/HDD likely wouldn't be the concern in regards to heat as they're (for the most part), in a separate compartment. Rather, the concern with the heat generated is more for the other components in the laptop.

Depending on how much you value the data on the HDD/SSD, damaging the smaller components can be more costly.

Fans generally turn on when they need to. When sitting with the laptop in an open area where there is airflow, and not using much processing power, it wouldn't neceasarily need itself to use the fan.

No airflow in a confined area would be the concern should the laptop wake itself up. Hence, why you should shut down in transport.

Last edited:
HDD vs SSD has nothing to do with efficiency in this context; rather moving parts vs no moving parts

It has to do with heat - most power that is consumed winds up as heat

Chrome Industries in Seattle has a really good messenger bag designed specifically for motorcyclists. Completely water proof etc etc.
http://www.chromeindustries.com/motor-citizen-messenger-bag

Friend of mine in Seattle has one, and swears by it. I will likely order one up for myself as a Christmas gift etc. My hard shell backpack is getting rather worn out.

maybe I'll log my cpu vitals if I have the occasion to data log a bike in the near future. Again, for my use, and the minimal resources required, I'm thinking it's not going to show anything even close to approaching damaging temps

Chrome Industries in Seattle has a really good messenger bag designed specifically for motorcyclists. Completely water proof etc etc.
http://www.chromeindustries.com/motor-citizen-messenger-bag

Friend of mine in Seattle has one, and swears by it. I will likely order one up for myself as a Christmas gift etc. My hard shell backpack is getting rather worn out.

Curious on how this would compare to the Mach 5 bag series, the price range is rather similar and I believe both to be rather "tough" and water resistant. During pouring rain, I'm sure they still get wet inside. Although that'd be nice if I was wrong.

maybe I'll log my cpu vitals if I have the occasion to data log a bike in the near future. Again, for my use, and the minimal resources required, I'm thinking it's not going to show anything even close to approaching damaging temps

It'll be an interesting test.

Some things that would be good to note would be, make and model of device, how it is being transported (backpack or laptop bag/laptop case/top case surrounded with padding/top case no padding), and how long it is being transported in that condition.

Temps to note: Ambient temp, processor temp, hdd/ssd temp, and if possible, fan on/off/speed.

HDD/SSD (which I assume shouldn't be too much of a problem for you because you have an SSD), shouldn't be much higher than 50 degrees celsius to be considered "safe".

Processor under heavy load (under normal circumstances) shouldn't be much higher than 90 degrees celsius, but wouldn't really be considered damaging until you start hitting the 100s.

The ambient temperature shouldn't be much higher than 30 degrees celsius (which I assume would easily hit while in a case).

The laptop, while under relatively high temperatures will likely be running the fan constantly trying to cool it down.

Last edited:
It'll be an interesting test.

Some things that would be good to note would be, make and model of device, how it is being transported (backpack or laptop bag/laptop case/top case surrounded with padding/top case no padding), and how long it is being transported in that condition.

Temps to note: Ambient temp, processor temp, hdd/ssd temp, and if possible, fan on/off/speed.

HDD/SSD (which I assume shouldn't be too much of a problem for you because you have an SSD), shouldn't be much higher than 50 degrees celsius to be considered "safe".

Processor under heavy load (under normal circumstances) shouldn't be much higher than 90 degrees celsius, but wouldn't really be considered damaging until you start hitting the 100s.

The ambient temperature shouldn't be much higher than 30 degrees celsius (which I assume would easily hit while in a case).

The laptop, while under relatively high temperatures will likely be running the fan constantly trying to cool it down.

This is probably getting too technical, but whatever. The processor itself is unlikely to get damaged - pretty much all modern CPUs have robust thermal throttling to protect themselves. This does not hold true for pretty much everything else. It would have to get nice and hot, not merely warm, but damage could range from weakening adhesives (not a big deal as it's usually only to hold cables in place while the laptop is being assembled) to stuff warping (see multiple generations of Apple laptops) to pushing marginal solder connections past their failure point (bigger deal for laptops made roughly '05-'10). Also RAM in laptops seems to like any excuse to fail so I imagine heat will only make it worse. Still not something you want to push too much because consumer laptops do not have one iota more of cooling ability than they strictly need. Logging of temperature sensors will not tell you everything as you could be developing hotspots on components that do not have any kind of thermal monitoring.

I am merely trying to point out risk factors and am not saying that your laptop will definitely catch fire, burn your house down and cause your wife and kids to leave you (or if you don't got those, your dog)

Back
Top Bottom