Freevalve.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Freevalve....

GateKeeper

since it's not motorcycle related at this time, I have to post it here, as I thought this to be very interesting, and I wonder if and when one day it will actually be applied to motorbikes as well

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_844197

freevalve-876.jpg

[video=vimeo;145498720]https://vimeo.com/145498720[/video]

pneumatically controlled - so what kind of pressure will it need, and now you gotta have a compressed air system in the car? hmmmm......

Do you mean streetbikes? It's already being used in MotoGP

And Fiat uses a hybrid of this tech with their MultiAir intake valve system... but does any of this eat babies.. I have concerns.

Doesn't Ducati use pneumatic (aka "Desmodromic") valves in their bikes already?

Doesn't Ducati use pneumatic (aka "Desmodromic") valves in their bikes already?

Desmo just uses cams to open AND cams to close the valves. Tradtional systems close (seal) the valves with springs, and only use cams to open the valves.

This system seems to close the valves with a spring, and open with a pneumatic actuator... the benefit being that pneumatic actuators are completely independent and fully controllable, as opposed to cams which can only be shifted by phases and/or fully replaced to increase/decrease lift.

And Fiat uses a hybrid of this tech with their MultiAir intake valve system... but does any of this eat babies.. I have concerns.

Seems Fiat's system uses hydraulic oil, rather than any sort of pneumatic system. No compressed air is required.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/fiats-multiair-valve-lift-system-explained

Last edited:
Last edited:
Freevalve (or Cargine as it was known then...) video from 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ-vO5-v-OU

yup it was mentioned in the article

A subsidiary of Swedish supercar marque Koenigsegg has been working on a new type of valve system for engines that does away completely with the camshaft, hence the descriptor “camless” is often used. That subsidiary is FreeValve (previously Cargine), which has published a video that shows the inner workings of its revolutionary engine

and the reason for it not being in mass production as of yet

So what’s the hold up? Reliability, refinement and noise levels aren’t up to scratch and remain the biggest hurdles in the technology's advancement

but it's still using a cam shaft.....

unlike the freevalve where there is no cam shaft....

I fully understand that, but just like this freevalve, the intake valves can be turned off completely, for however long, as they are actuated by solenoids and in no way mechanically connected to the camshaft. The exhaust cam simply has lobs to supply hydraulic pressure, but the independent operation of the intake valves is conceptually very similar.

Of similar nerdery, Nissan announced a variable compression engine recently. Looks awful and cludgy to me, though.

f1a1bb576320ea59519abda84b06d36e.jpg

Of similar nerdery, Nissan announced a variable compression engine recently. Looks awful and cludgy to me, though.

f1a1bb576320ea59519abda84b06d36e.jpg

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Hard to picture that assemblage of parts at 6500RPM.

Desmo just uses cams to open AND cams to close the valves. Tradtional systems close (seal) the valves with springs, and only use cams to open the valves.

This system seems to close the valves with a spring, and open with a pneumatic actuator... the benefit being that pneumatic actuators are completely independent and fully controllable, as opposed to cams which can only be shifted by phases and/or fully replaced to increase/decrease lift.

Interesting. Somewhere I thought I read that they were pneumatic and all this time believed that to be the case. I learned something, thanks.

but it's still using a cam shaft.....

unlike the freevalve where there is no cam shaft....

Indeed - which makes Fiat's system MUCH more practical and traditional than Freevalve, but still limited to timing with the cam shaft.

Freevalve is pretty badass, but that level of flexibility is almost not required; i mean, the valves still have to be timed with the cylinders? Cams make way more sense.

I guess you could make finer adjustments, timing to each cylinder and on-the-fly timing changes would be infinitely easier. Lets see what happens when the software controlling freevalve freezes LMAO

Indeed - which makes Fiat's system MUCH more practical and traditional than Freevalve, but still limited to timing with the cam shaft.

Freevalve is pretty badass, but that level of flexibility is almost not required; i mean, the valves still have to be timed with the cylinders? Cams make way more sense.

I guess you could make finer adjustments, timing to each cylinder and on-the-fly timing changes would be infinitely easier. Lets see what happens when the software controlling freevalve freezes LMAO

Not actually though.. The exhaust cam provides hydraulic pressure to the solenoids above each intake cylinder, which are then actuated in whatever way the PCM strategy desires, each cylinder completely independent from the next in the same way the free valve system does.

Back
Top Bottom