HMFS! Plates for High-Risk Bikes in Quebec are expensive! | GTAMotorcycle.com

HMFS! Plates for High-Risk Bikes in Quebec are expensive!

Private insurance in QC is much cheaper though. There's little to no difference in the end.

Edit - ok, maybe there is for older bikes and older riders. I can't believe that a 90hp FZR600 is on the list.

Last edited:
Oh, looks like my '84 V65 Magna didn't make the cut.

The Quebec plate includes medical insurance, that is why it is so expensive. Private insurance handles property damage only. In aggregate Qc insurance is about the same as Ontario's for an average bike. For high-sport bikes it's obviously more expensive, as it should be since they are the ones killing themselves.

The Quebec plate includes medical insurance, that is why it is so expensive. Private insurance handles property damage only. In aggregate Qc insurance is about the same as Ontario's for an average bike. For high-sport bikes it's obviously more expensive, as it should be since they are the ones killing themselves.

'Cuz no cruisers ever cross into oncoming traffic; try to pass through intersections; run into each other leaving debris fields normally seen in movies.... wait, all that's happened in the last month. To be fair, SS bikes attract many young riders, so risk is obviously higher, but personally, my insurance is cheaper then more than a few Harley guys I know. Metric crusier & standards rates beat me by a mile though.. haha

'Cuz no cruisers ever cross into oncoming traffic; try to pass through intersections; run into each other leaving debris fields normally seen in movies.... wait, all that's happened in the last month. To be fair, SS bikes attract many young riders, so risk is obviously higher, but personally, my insurance is cheaper then more than a few Harley guys I know. Metric crusier & standards rates beat me by a mile though.. haha

Insurance companies are going to charge what the market will bear. That means a $40,000 bike is going to cost more than a $20,000 bike to insure. The personal injury insurance however is going to be higher for the bigger risk takers who like popping wheelies at 120km/h. Haven't seen many grandpas on bat-wing bikes doing that.

Insurance companies are going to charge what the market will bear. That means a $40,000 bike is going to cost more than a $20,000 bike to insure. The personal injury insurance however is going to be higher for the bigger risk takers who like popping wheelies at 120km/h. Haven't seen many grandpas on bat-wing bikes doing that.

You do know that more than 70% of your primium has nothing to do with property right?

Tons of old beaters on that list. I should look at Quebec Kijiji more often.
People should look out of province much more. I had a bike shipped to me from a dealer in Nova Scotia for $400. Packed in a crate, delivered to my door. .. And I still saved about $1100 - $1500 compared to the used market here.

Too much info in op to wade thru to posit a cogent opinion. Kudos to those who care. Free wheeling, motorcycles built and marketed to appeal to a certain headspace are high risk? Who knew.

People should look out of province much more. I had a bike shipped to me from a dealer in Nova Scotia for $400. Packed in a crate, delivered to my door. .. And I still saved about $1100 - $1500 compared to the used market here.

Where else do you recommend we look?

That's a pretty big risk, though, not being able to inspect, start or see the bike in person before buying. You'd need a really committed seller to give you all of the info, which I imagine would be rare for bikes that are high in demand.

are you talking new or used you bought?
i was out there last year and every night i was on their local kijiji looking for a bike to buy and tow home...nothing seemed to be worth it at the time.

if you are talking new...sure i can see that.

One of the biggest nightmares of a vehicle purchase I ever made was a sight unseen deal like that. NEVER again. I had to put about 100 hours or work and about $1000 into that pig to put enough lipstick on it to sell it and recoup (thankfully) most of my money.

That's not true, most motorcycle deaths involve men in the 45-64 age range (I'm guessing the vast majority of them ride harleys).

Don't forget that the number of cruiser riders are exponentially bigger than the sportbike crowd. Because Chevy Cavaliers crash more often than Corvettes doesn't mean that there's anything inherently wrong with Cavaliers nor their drivers, it means that when they out number Corvettes 25,000 to 1, of course the stats are going to be different.

You do know that more than 70% of your primium has nothing to do with property right?

Not sure if it's 70%, but most of it is injury rehab at last look. I used to ride in Quebec and paid a pittance for property insurance and quite a bit for the annual registration that covers injury.

That's not true, most motorcycle deaths involve men in the 45-64 age range (I'm guessing the vast majority of them ride harleys).

Source: http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/6789196-most-motorcycle-deaths-involve-middle-aged-men-opp/

Never trust the OPP stats. They just are not true. For better numbers try the Ontario Road Safety Annual Report, or the report from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. In that, per 10,000 registrations young riders - particularly young sport bike riders are way overrepresented in the fatalities. In the last 10 years there has been a rise in the number of older riders getting killed, mostly retiring boomers who are able to afford expensive Harleys and do a lot of riding, but the young risk takers are still dropping dead fastest.

Not sure if it's 70%, but most of it is injury rehab at last look. I used to ride in Quebec and paid a pittance for property insurance and quite a bit for the annual registration that covers injury.

I agree; so why did you say this when I said I pay less then many Harley owners? Maybe those grandpas don't heal so well?
fwiw, I don't know if you've been living under a rock, but I see plenty of the loud pipe crowd leaving black lines out the local tims parking lot too.

Back
Top Bottom