Rear end slides (sideways) under hard breaking | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear end slides (sideways) under hard breaking

No I was simply using it as an example of pros (at the highest level) having a use (any use) for the rear brake, which many here will imply is useless.

Regardless, they were using it for more than just makeshift tc or wheelie control. They can use it to settle the rear suspension before applying the front brakes, and they can use it mid corner to tighten up a line. Excellent skills to possess. Why wouldn't you wanna know how to do that?

They're not using the rear brake as the primary brake, though. They're not really using it for improving stopping power / reducing stopping distance. They're using it to balance the chassis and/or induce deliberate slides. That's above my pay grade.

OP asks about a problem with hard braking on his sport bike.

Forum posters reply you need to do x, y, and z when you're not emergency braking or if you're on a cruiser or riding dirt.

GTAM.

Sometimes I think you and I are the only normal people here but I'm not so sure about you. Anyway I know a guy who knows a guy who threw a bike off a skyway on account of dodgy equipment. The more you know the more you realize how much you don't know.

The video description itself directly on YouTube attributed it to gravel, and it makes sense - he goes down right at intersection of what appears to be a gravel driveway or road. He certainly didn't appear to be into the brakes anywhere near hard enough to lock the front IMHO nor did he appear to hang a peg into the ashphalt or anything.

Every young gun I've every come across has "attributed it to gravel" when asked. I'll stick with what I can see..

For me, the corner was tightening; the appearance of an oncoming bike; and likely, more front brake when he didn't think he'd make it. These are all far more likely then the gravel none of the bikes in front, nor behind, seemed to be affected by.

I am not saying dont use your front brake. Also not saying only use your rear brake. What I am saying is that is how I ride and it works just fine for 95% of the times I need to stop the bike. For the other 5% I use the front brake.

I actually just got back from riding and I was thinking about how much I use both brakes. I actually generally finish each complete stop with a bit of front brake, but most of the time im just engine braking and dragging the rear brake. I only had to brake hard once, when I came around a corner into a red light, and I used my front brake.

I do agree with you the rider in the video I linked was incompetent, which is why I chose it as an example. The guy in the rear brake video was equally incompetent, so using it as an example of what will happen if you use your rear brake is pointless. Dont jam either of your brakes until your tires lock up and you can avoid lots of bad situations.

Sometimes I think you and I are the only normal people here but I'm not so sure about you. Anyway I know a guy who knows a guy who threw a bike off a skyway on account of dodgy equipment. The more you know the more you realize how much you don't know.
You and I are distinctly NOT normal people (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm kinda proud of my weirdness, and you should be proud of yours. Most people here are weird, but not all of them in a way I'd want to boast about if I were them.

Some of the few normal people on GTAM are Jayv, shanekingsley, katapult... Hopefully they're OK with that!

Sometimes I think you and I are the only normal people here but I'm not so sure about you.

You and I are distinctly NOT normal people (not that there's anything wrong with that).

A dear departed coffee swiller used to say that to me on the daily. We'd exchange knowing looks and bust out laughing. Every time. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was the other way around. Sometimes you just gotta know when to shmooze.

Weight transfer to the front…What to do ???

I’m almost tempted to attach a 100lbs worth of rocks on top of the passenger seat lmao

if you never get comfy with your brake setup, & it's not for everyone, could be you would chill on a bike (honda equivalent has) with linked brakes,

if you are sliding out on the rear with your brake setup, then good bet you are using too much rear brake in proportion to front,

& that gets way dicier in slick conditions,

another thing to look into is you could have an issue with the rear, in that they are oversensitive, touchy or grabby,

Last edited:
Sometimes I think you and I are the only normal people here but I'm not so sure about you.

You and I are distinctly NOT normal people (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm kinda proud of my weirdness, and you should be proud of yours.

Hate to brake up this little love fest, but this is not a dating site; please, put the breaks on the PDA asap, thanks :p

my 2016 N1K has slipper clutch..... amazing.

It still locks just not solid like the old days. If it isn't adjusted from stock settings it'll lock quite nicely ;). That is how you "back it in", not with the brake.

Hardest thing for me now I'm riding more loose surface roads is to remember to use the rear brake on those surfaces more and then go back to normal mainly front brake use back on Tarmac. Rear brake is mighty handy when trying to do tight turns on a top heavy adventure bike at slow speeds too.

Back
Top Bottom