My crash...that sucked | GTAMotorcycle.com

My crash...that sucked

dricked

Site Supporter
https://youtu.be/CXzTQQhEk4Y

So this was the beginning of the crash. The first bike was not mine but you can see the rider ended up on my bike. I was just about to shift into 6th, probably going 270km/h in the video. From what I recollect, what I was told from the riders behind us, and this video, I'm fairly certain there was a gust of wind that I hit first and it sucked the other rider into me, slowed me down, blew me into the other riders path, or all of the above. As we were veering to hit the wall another rider clipped my front wheel sending me down the track and most likely saving my life and the rider stuck to my bike.

As far as I'm concerned this was nones fault, it was a racing incident. With no practice in the morning because of the rain and the wind being much stronger than the day before this was just a very unfortunate event that left one bike in very rough shape (not mine) and one rider being taken to the hospital (me).

Broken collarbone, sore left wrist, whiplash in my neck, sore back, and a sore right ankle are the extent of my injuries. CT scan was clear, I don't remember what happened shortly after this video ended (when I hit the ground) to when I was being transported to the hospital. Anyone that can't justify the money on the best gear is nuts. I think I might be the first rider to test a D-Air suit in Canada. Unfortunately I still ended up with a broken collarbone but I don't want to know what could have happened. My X-14 faired quite well and my next helmet will be another one. No injuries to my hands and my Five gloves are still in good shape except one of the scaphoid sliders may need attention. No hip or thigh injuries thanks to my Knox padded shorts. My dainese back protector will need to be replaced as the aluminum honeycomb has been compromised. My chest protector probably saved me from something also. I can't wear anymore gear, there isn't any, and I'm thankful that I wear what I do.

Last edited:
Wow, that is one high speed get off. I'm glad you're relatively okay. I would imagine that's a pretty expensive crash but you were lucky to walk away in one piece.

https://youtu.be/CXzTQQhEk4Y

So this was the beginning of the crash. The first bike was not mine but you can see the rider ended up on my bike. I was just about to shift into 6th, probably going 270km/h in the video. From what I recollect, what I was told from the riders behind us, and this video, I'm fairly certain there was a gust of wind that I hit first and it sucked the other rider into me, slowed me down, blew me into the other riders path, or all of the above. As we were veering to hit the wall another rider clipped my front wheel sending me down the track and most likely saving my life and the rider stuck to my bike.

As far as I'm concerned this was nones fault, it was a racing incident. With no practice in the morning because of the rain and the wind being much stronger than the day before this was just a very unfortunate event that left one bike in very rough shape (not mine) and one rider being taken to the hospital (me).

Broken collarbone, sore left wrist, whiplash in my neck, sore back, and a sore right ankle are the extent of my injuries. CT scan was clear, I don't remember what happened shortly after this video ended (when I hit the ground) to when I was being transported to the hospital. Anyone that can't justify the money on the best gear is nuts. I think I might be the first rider to test a D-Air suit in Canada. Unfortunately I still ended up with a broken collarbone but I don't want to know what could have happened. My X-14 faired quite well and my next helmet will be another one. No injuries to my hands and my Five gloves are still in good shape except one of the scaphoid sliders may need attention. No hip or thigh injuries thanks to my Knox padded shorts. My dainese back protector will need to be replaced as the aluminum honeycomb has been compromised. My chest protector probably saved me from something also. I can't wear anymore gear, there isn't any, and I'm thankful that I wear what I do.
I freaked out when I got over the hump and saw two bodies being dragged by one bike... while the other one (Dominguez's) was exploding in the air !!! :(:(

Glad you are ok... Was something to see you come out of the ambulance... and what I can I say about your wife's face and your father's. We all cheered you up when you went back into the ambulance.

Glad you are ok and back in front of your PC giving us good news, considering what happened.

Wow..that looks pretty scary when you watch the video at that speed!! Definitely could have been a lot worse, consider yourself very lucky Derrick. I hope you have a quick recovery and back in action in no time...oh wait a minute season is over.;)

You are the second rider that I know of (the other is a good friend) that crashed in the D-Air suit, he thought he broke his collarbone but he actually dislocated his shoulder (level 5 seperation). Not sure what that says about the whole D-Air idea, in theory they are supposed to help and prevent those kind of injuries but I guess every crash is different. Hard to say if the suit prevented a bad situation from getting worse or?

Otherwise, I'm glad you're somewhat alright. You doing the surgery or are you going to let it heal naturally?

I was there at the race as a spectator at turn 1, when I saw the red flag for the 2nd time and heard the incident happened on the back straight I knew it is pretty serious. I am glad you walk away in one piece as well. I can't imagine what it feels like to fall at 270km/hr+

You guys are true warriors and I am sure you will fully recover from this, get well soon Derrick and hope to see you next year.

p.s. anyone has any update on Scott R. #396? I hope he is okay too, turn 3 doesn't have a lot of run-off.

Last edited:
Wow, that is one high speed get off. I'm glad you're relatively okay. I would imagine that's a pretty expensive crash but you were lucky to walk away in one piece.

Actually my bike needs about $600 in parts, a new lid, and some minor leather repairs/suit recharge. The time off work is what's going to hurt.

I freaked out when I got over the hump and saw two bodies being dragged by one bike... while the other one (Dominguez's) was exploding in the air !!! :(:(

Glad you are ok... Was something to see you come out of the ambulance... and what I can I say about your wife's face and your father's. We all cheered you up when you went back into the ambulance.

Glad you are ok and back in front of your PC giving us good news, considering what happened.

Thanks Alex, one heck of a way to end a season.

Wow..that looks pretty scary when you watch the video at that speed!! Definitely could have been a lot worse, consider yourself very lucky Derrick. I hope you have a quick recovery and back in action in no time...oh wait a minute season is over.;)

Very lucky indeed!

You are the second rider that I know of (the other is a good friend) that crashed in the D-Air suit, he thought he broke his collarbone but he actually dislocated his shoulder (level 5 seperation). Not sure what that says about the whole D-Air idea, in theory they are supposed to help and prevent those kind of injuries but I guess every crash is different. Hard to say if the suit prevented a bad situation from getting worse or?

Otherwise, I'm glad you're somewhat alright. You doing the surgery or are you going to let it heal naturally?

Well being slammed on your shoulder at 260 it's probably hard to prevent any injury. I won't wear anything less.

I was there at the race as a spectator at turn 1, when I saw the red flag for the 2nd time and heard the incident happened on the back straight I knew it is pretty serious. I am glad you walk away in one piece as well. I can't imagine what it feels like to fall at 270km/hr+

You guys are true warriors and I am sure you will fully recover from this, get well soon Derrick and hope to see you next year.

p.s. anyone has any update on Scott R. #396? I hope he is okay too, turn 3 doesn't have a lot of run-off.

I'll be back again that's for sure! As far as Scott goes, I believe he's still in the hospital but recovering.

We will cheer harder next year.

Post up if you need anything Derrick.

First off glad to hear the riders are OK including better news for the rider from turn 3. I helped load Dominguez's bike onto a trailer as I was passing by it as they were trying to manhandle it, Franklyn was limping pretty good but it was good to see rider up and about when you are looking at a bike with a shattered rear wheel and no body work.

Anyhow, I have a question for the racers about Mosport. A buddy of mine has done many laps of Mosport but he is a car guy. His car can reach same or more speeds up the back straight so he has a reference for the speeds and track. I was texting him during the red flags on Sunday about the incident etc as it was reported on the race loud speaker. So I sent him the video and summary of the incident via e-mail today. He has a question:

In cars its not unusual to pass up the straight with the minimal lateral movement to get around the other car. But on a bike is there any benefit of being that close to the other bike? If wind can affect the bike that much why would you not pass with more space?

He actually asked the question with more expletives about nuts on 2 wheels and understood the "I feel like it's just instinct. If you get a run on someone, why waste any effort, move only as far as you need to to clear the guy." "but if you know you can get blown into the guy and you've all got exposed moving parts doing 50+ meters per second..."

So since I will probably never be in the situation myself I thought I would pass along the question. I never even considered his view point when I read the summary as I have seen bikes always close together through 7. I assume it is just the closeness of drafting just playing out combined with the 'move only as far away as needed' for passing? I think his question really just comes down to his relative safety of 4 wheels and roll cage vs 2 wheels and a bunch of leather (with built in air bag in this case)

Thanks, Jeff

IMO even thought it looks like and it's called "back straight" it isn't straight at all, at the speed of a Liter bike you are basically leaning in an angle and drifting from one apex to the other (hard to explain). I found this past Wednesday when trying to pass slower bikes, when i went to the outside (left side) for the pass the rider in front of me was basically drifting to the left as well; many times I had to let off the gas as the gap between the rider and the edge of the track became too small (track day and not a race day for us), if this was racing I would have gone for it most likely.

Everyone is basically trying to stay on the best line so even though it seems wide, bikes are trying to occupy the same space... plus there is the trying to tuck behind another rider to pass them on the drift.

First off glad to hear the riders are OK including better news for the rider from turn 3. I helped load Dominguez's bike onto a trailer as I was passing by it as they were trying to manhandle it, Franklyn was limping pretty good but it was good to see rider up and about when you are looking at a bike with a shattered rear wheel and no body work.

Anyhow, I have a question for the racers about Mosport. A buddy of mine has done many laps of Mosport but he is a car guy. His car can reach same or more speeds up the back straight so he has a reference for the speeds and track. I was texting him during the red flags on Sunday about the incident etc as it was reported on the race loud speaker. So I sent him the video and summary of the incident via e-mail today. He has a question:

In cars its not unusual to pass up the straight with the minimal lateral movement to get around the other car. But on a bike is there any benefit of being that close to the other bike? If wind can affect the bike that much why would you not pass with more space?

He actually asked the question with more expletives about nuts on 2 wheels and understood the "I feel like it's just instinct. If you get a run on someone, why waste any effort, move only as far as you need to to clear the guy." "but if you know you can get blown into the guy and you've all got exposed moving parts doing 50+ meters per second..."

So since I will probably never be in the situation myself I thought I would pass along the question. I never even considered his view point when I read the summary as I have seen bikes always close together through 7. I assume it is just the closeness of drafting just playing out combined with the 'move only as far away as needed' for passing? I think his question really just comes down to his relative safety of 4 wheels and roll cage vs 2 wheels and a bunch of leather (with built in air bag in this case)

Thanks, Jeff

The hole a bike creates in the air when travelling at speed is less than a car. If you're more than 2' to the left/right you're most likely out of the draft. Franklin probably left space, he said he thought I missed a shift so I believe he was slowly gaining in my draft when I caught a large gust of wind that slowed me down unexpectedly and his speeds kept climbing because he was in the draft. The only other possibility is I tapped the limeter in 5th but I don't remember hearing that and I was just about to shift to 6th before the collision.

If you want to make sure nobody gets close to you, racing isn't the right place. Mitch kept passing me into 8 on Saturday with inches to spare between us. I didn't feel like it was anything out of the ordinary, this is what we do. I trust these guys, if I didn't I wouldn't race them. We all want to go home on Sunday and thankfully we all did, I just took a detour to the hospital.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you're relatively okay @dricked. Heal up soon.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

@dricked

considering 270kph, your bike looks pretty good. GWS man!

Glad to hear that you're relatively okay @dricked. Heal up soon.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Thank you!

@dricked

considering 270kph, your bike looks pretty good. GWS man!

Subframe, bit of bodywork, rear wheel, clipon, lever, and bar switch. The engine cases didn't even get a scuff and not a mark on the frame/swimgarm. I'm not sure how the right side of the bike didn't get any damage, that was the side I would figure the bike landed on after being clipped on the left???

Thanks for the well wishes.

Glad you are OK and walked basically away. I always enjoy your level headed posts ... one o the few I always read.

I am frankly amazed how little damage your bike has ... I guess it was a huge dose of luck that the bike didn't go into cartwheel?

Glad you are OK and walked basically away. I always enjoy your level headed posts ... one o the few I always read.

I am frankly amazed how little damage your bike has ... I guess it was a huge dose of luck that the bike didn't go into cartwheel?

Thank you!

I'm not really sure, the bike stayed upright because I was still riding it with Franklin attached. It wasn't until Marco clipped the front that I was ejected. I'm not sure how much we slowed down but we made it to the bridge apparently. I guess the bike went along the wall??? I couldn't tell you, I don't remember anything from the track side. I'm also amazed, the bike looks like it had a small low side as far as damage. I have most of the parts as spares to fix it up, some I'll just replace with new. I'll put new bodywork and paint on it for whoever buys it so its in the same shape as when I posted it up.

Good to see everything worked out for all considering the situation. Damn! That could have ended very badly.
It seems Kawis saves lives :)

I like what you did with the rear spoiler...better traction?:D

Back
Top Bottom