97' gsxr600 vibration | GTAMotorcycle.com

97' gsxr600 vibration

gixxer_AL

Hello there , apologies if this is a bit of a " noob " question , I am fairly new to riding . I've noticed recently when I get to a little bit of a higher speed ( starting at around 180 ) I get some type of vibration coming from the front wheel somewhere , I can't really pin point it . Now I'm. Wondering if this is normal at those speeds as I don't have a steering damper . My bike has been down at very low speed when I bought it , perhaps that can be the issue ?

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

As speeds pick up, the balancing of the front wheel begins to matter more. If it is off even a little, at high speeds it can shake out your fillings. I have made a store rebalance a wheel after getting it wrong the first time after a tire replacement.

I just reread your post, does it feel like the handlebars are turning left/right, or does it feel like the front wheel is hopping up and down?

Safety message: As a noob, take it easy. A crash at 180 plus makes a mess and the odds that you are ready yet to deal with problems that pop up at those speeds is low.

As speeds pick up, the balancing of the front wheel begins to matter more. If it is off even a little, at high speeds it can shake out your fillings. I have made a store rebalance a wheel after getting it wrong the first time after a tire replacement.

I just reread your post, does it feel like the handlebars are turning left/right, or does it feel like the front wheel is hopping up and down?

Safety message: As a noob, take it easy. A crash at 180 plus makes a mess and the odds that you are ready yet to deal with problems that pop up at those speeds is low.

Thanks for the reply I'm more of a noob to sport bikes but I've been riding dirt bikes etc.. for years so I'm safe don't worry ;-) . But yes getting back to the bike , I think you described it just about right , it feels like it's hopping up and down. So would I have to balance the tire ? Thanks

That's a simple bike.
Check wheels to ensure its balanced.
Check head bearing for binding / looseness.

If you need the wheel to be balanced - run your hand on the tires to see if its cupping and check bearings.

That's a simple bike.
Check wheels to ensure its balanced.
Check head bearing for binding / looseness.

If you need the wheel to be balanced - run your hand on the tires to see if its cupping and check bearings.

Thanks ! Appreciate the help .. how do I check the bearings ?

Thanks ! Appreciate the help .. how do I check the bearings ?

Best way is to - get the weight off the front end and check for play / smoothness.

Other way is to roll the bike over a small bump and see if it transfers a ton of motion through the bearing - might be heard to feel for the novice - perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom