Is it really necessary to replace your helmet every 3-5 years? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it really necessary to replace your helmet every 3-5 years?

Gsus

I keep on reading that this is a thing, but have found absolutely no testing or scientific evidence that there is any reason for this. I am familiar with helmet company rationale of adhesives breaking down, uv / heat / vibration degradation, better protective technologies over a 5 year period, etc, etc, but I cannot find any fact based evidence to support this. Snell, who supports the manufacturers' stance, also seems to do so blindly, as their support is based on a "what they say makes sense" attitude rather than testing. I would think that some organization would have taken a 5 year old helmet and compared it to a NOS, but I can't find anything. Has anyone found anything credible on this, or is it really fear mongering so we buy more buckets? My Arai is pushing 5 years, and I'm having a hard time justifying replacement with nothing to go on but speculation.

Snell upgrades their testing procedures every 5 years, they aren't telling you to buy a new helmet. They are more concerned about racing application than street use.
DOT, and ECE (I might be wrong on this) haven't changed standards in a long time, and rely on the manufacturer to do their own testing.
If the helmet still fits, hasn't seen any internal degradation or major impact, you're likely just fine (IMO).

Good question. I have always wandered about this too.

I'm guessing but I think it could have a lot to do with composition of the helmet, quality of the foam and liners that you started with and overall build level. No science but 3-5 is probably a fast turn around.

Same .. mine is approaching 5 years (for the mfg. date) .. still good and I love it.
I do think that anything more then 10 or so years is iffy. The reason for that is the shelf life by the time you bought it as well as the amount of riding you've done .
Also sweat degrades the liner so even if you replace the inner padding the Styrofoam liner absorbs your dirty thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

This is what Shoei has to say:

Helmet Replacement

Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:

1. The helmet was subjected to an impact.
  2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
  3. The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
  4. There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
  5. Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.

1-4 make perfect sense, but 5? Covering themselves /cash grab?

Styrofoam liner absorbs your dirty thoughts.

That's about as valid as anything else i've read, and since styrofoam takes 1+ million years to biodegrade, that's a lot of dirty thoughts in landfill.

Considering it a a safety device, they have to list a 'best before' date for legal reasons. If they didn't, and someone suffered a brain injury in a 12 year old helmet, someone could come after them. If 90% of helmets are still safe after say 8 years, but 100% would be safe after 5...they'll say 5. As with anything, YMMV past that date, same as it can with milk, eggs, etc.

Also, much like anything, materials do break down over time with use. Yes it could take millions of years for a helmet to disintegrate completely, but the resins, glues, and other material might not hold up so well over time. Heat, oils (from sweat), and petroleum are known causes, and they are experienced a plenty on a bike. That said, I'd still have more faith in a 5-10 year old full face Shoei than I would a brand new Harley beanie, if my head had to ever meet the pavement.

Really though, it is up to everyone to decide for themselves. Even a $700 Shoei or Arai works out to $120/year using the 5 year mark, which is nothing when you think of the cost of the bike, gas, insurance, parts, etc. Plus, who doesn't want a wall or cabinet of helmets 40-50 years down the road?

Considering it a a safety device, they have to list a 'best before' date for legal reasons. If they didn't, and someone suffered a brain injury in a 12 year old helmet, someone could come after them. If 90% of helmets are still safe after say 8 years, but 100% would be safe after 5...they'll say 5. As with anything, YMMV past that date, same as it can with milk, eggs, etc.

Also, much like anything, materials do break down over time with use. Yes it could take millions of years for a helmet to disintegrate completely, but the resins, glues, and other material might not hold up so well over time. Heat, oils (from sweat), and petroleum are known causes, and they are experienced a plenty on a bike. That said, I'd still have more faith in a 5-10 year old full face Shoei than I would a brand new Harley beanie, if my head had to ever meet the pavement.

Really though, it is up to everyone to decide for themselves. Even a $700 Shoei or Arai works out to $120/year using the 5 year mark, which is nothing when you think of the cost of the bike, gas, insurance, parts, etc. Plus, who doesn't want a wall or cabinet of helmets 40-50 years down the road?

I think you nailed this right on the head.... or helmet should I say:lmao:

It's all about liability, the makers are able to walk free of blame should anything fail after this time. But really it's just good practice to keep good fresh gear on your head.

I used the same helmet for many years. It was perfect as it fit my head.
Just for the hell of it, one day I checked the manufacture date. 12 YEARS.
It would probably be as much use as a hockey helmet in a collision.
The die was cast when I took it off my head one day after a ride. Half the padding was sitting on top of my head or on the ground.
Bought a new one, same make and model as the old one.

Just a general comment on how we fail to see the forest for the trees.
I check the other safety gear on the motorcycle all the time, but didn't check the safety gear for the rider.

Last edited:
From HJC

Even if your helmet has not been damaged, it needs to be replaced every 3 to 5 years depending on how much you use it. Over time, UV rays and adhesive and component aging will damage your helmet. Wearing a damaged helmet may increase your risk of serious injury or death in an accident.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/helmet-usage/#.V7sauNQrJnI

I don't replace my helmets for any of the above reasons, I simply do it because I like change and new things, especially with new tech. The current trend seems to be a new helmet added every 2 years or so. Might go longer with what I have now as they are fantastic helmets (Schuberth C3 Pro and Nexx XD1) with all the features I want (bluetooth, drop down sun visor). I would buy a new helmet immediately if Sena came out with their noise canceling helmet, or BMW came out with their high tech helmet with HUD display.

Just spoke to an Arai dealer. Because they are hand laid fiberglass and 1 piece membrane, they are 7-11 years. Sounds better to me.

I don't replace my helmets for any of the above reasons, I simply do it because I like change and new things, especially with new tech. The current trend seems to be a new helmet added every 2 years or so. Might go longer with what I have now as they are fantastic helmets (Schuberth C3 Pro and Nexx XD1) with all the features I want (bluetooth, drop down sun visor). I would buy a new helmet immediately if Sena came out with their noise canceling helmet, or BMW came out with their high tech helmet with HUD display.

the Schuberth C3 Pro, was my next choice for a helmet, can I ask how you like it, and did you happen to find a good deal, any place in mind to purchase one from and or go and test fit ?

the Schuberth C3 Pro, was my next choice for a helmet, can I ask how you like it, and did you happen to find a good deal, any place in mind to purchase one from and or go and test fit ?

I think the best deals will be found in Europe. You can try www.fc-moto.de

I bought mine originally from Riders Choice, I did not shop around at the time.

Most manufacturers have a 5 year warranty on their helmets. So that's where the 5 year mark comes. It all depends on the amount of use/abuse you put on your helmet. More use=more replacement.

Most manufacturers have a 5 year warranty on their helmets. So that's where the 5 year mark comes. It all depends on the amount of use/abuse you put on your helmet. More use=more replacement.

This is an important part as well...the 5 year limit is likely assumed you'll be using it almost every day 1-2 times, and that you generally neglect the helmet without actually damaging it. If you are only a weekend rider, plus the fact we live in Canada (and most of us don't ride much, if at all, over winter), you 'could' likely extend things a little. Couple that with keeping it clean/using a skullcap, and potentially having more than one helmet (I don't, but I know some that have a full face, modular, and half), which could easily extend the lifespan as well.

All that said though, I'll likely be replacing my RF-1100 with a RF-1200 next year. Will also come down to if I see any good sales during the shows, as there is a specific style I want if I were to get one.

Back
Top Bottom