Help me choose my next motorcycle - 899 Panigale vs CBR 1000RR vs 675R | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help me choose my next motorcycle - 899 Panigale vs CBR 1000RR vs 675R

Canadian Rider

After finally figuring out my insurance woes as many of you know its been very high in Ontario recently, I have narrowed my search down to these 3 motorcycles. Which one would you suggest?! I had an option to buy my old Ducati 899 Panigale back, or look at the CBR 1000RR's or the 675R's.

[video=youtube;fTOLb4HkeYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOLb4HkeYY[/video]

Heart kind of wants the Ducati, body wants the CBR1000RR, and an interesting option is the 675R.
I have to admit, I keep hearing from people the CBR 1000RR is the perfect street bike and comfortable.. and lets not forget Honda reliability.

Reliability I have not heard to many bad stories of the 675 engine? More unique then a CBR, and a better electronics package.

The Ducati well... just drop dead gorgeous. Leading electronics but is pricey, initial cost and maintnence and not as street friendly as the CBR 1000RR

First world problem discussions I know..

Last edited:
Yikes. If you hate the video no need to watch, I typed everything in text here to have a discussion for that reason alone :) Though I agree, just need to decide if my gut is groaning for food or one of these bikes

How long you going to keep the bike for?
What type of riding you plan on doing?
Are you going to do 500km+ days?

Did you factor insurance costs?

Did you crash the 899? Wot happen? I'm confused.

Sold it because insurance was butt rape, and yes before purchase I got a quote but it drastically changed at the time I wanted to start the policy. Though now, my insurance situation has been resolved so I can indeed choose between these 3 again. Currently on my trusty old Ninja 250

Having ridden all three quite a bit I could write paragraphs as they are such completely different experiences, but who wants to read that. I'll keep it brief....

CBR1k, fast but surprisingly boring.. so smooth and civilized and just missing something for me.

Ducati, alright performance, looks fantastic, has character, hate the ergos.

675D is both civilized and has soul; good balance, and my choice of the three without a doubt.

Ps I guess it wasn't you I saw 2 up near Albion Falls today?

Last edited:
Sold it because insurance was butt rape, and yes before purchase I got a quote but it drastically changed at the time I wanted to start the policy. Though now, my insurance situation has been resolved so I can indeed choose between these 3 again. Currently on my trusty old Ninja 250

I see. Then I would get the 899 back. It's a sex machine and the soundtrack is intoxicating. (I wouldn't actually get one myself, the riding position is too extreme for me, but that can prolly be fixed with risers and rearsets.)

Also, I think the 899/959 is still in an insurance loophole, i.e. it's in a much cheaper bracket than more common supersports. I asked for a quote before test-riding the 959 and it was surprisingly reasonable.

My advice to people is always the same in this matter - or if they're making a decision on any matter.

What would you think if suddenly 1 option was no longer available?
For example. Lets say the CBR you were looking at is sold. Would it bother you, or would it be a minor inconvenience?
If any of these bikes would bother you to be removed from the equation more than the rest, then that's the bike you want.

wait a year and get a 2017 supersport !
panigale like styling without the brutal ergos and nut roasting engine heat....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/july/ducati-supersport-in-detail/

supersport1.jpg

If I had to choose between just those 3....Ducati.

Honda - It'll last forever, but in the 1000cc class, it's not leading the pack by any means. No electronics, slightly down on power, and...well, it's boring.

675 - Nearly as much maintenance as the Italians, looks good, but missing that sex appeal.

Ducati - looks to die for, user interface for electronics look a little dated (but the system works), but love the linear torque. I just couldn't get past the fact that the valves still need to be done so frequently compared to the Japanese products. That's why I went Yamaha.

Good luck.

Viewing from the sidelines, the CBR makes the most sense. Is it not the last of the analogue superbikes? Once they're gone, they'll never come back. The others, in a year or two, will be more known for how non current they are than anything else. Just more ho hum has beens.

Having ridden all three quite a bit I could write paragraphs as they are such completely different experiences, but who wants to read that. I'll keep it brief....

CBR1k, fast but surprisingly boring.. so smooth and civilized and just missing something for me.

Ducati, alright performance, looks fantastic, has character, hate the ergos.

675D is both civilized and has soul; good balance, and my choice of the three without a doubt.

Ps I guess it wasn't you I saw 2 up near Albion Falls today?

Thanks for the insight. I'm surprised you would pick the 675. See I think I need to ride a CBR 1000RR to get an understanding of what you mean.

Also, guess it wasnt ;) Maybe it was ;)

If I had to choose between just those 3....Ducati.

Honda - It'll last forever, but in the 1000cc class, it's not leading the pack by any means. No electronics, slightly down on power, and...well, it's boring.

675 - Nearly as much maintenance as the Italians, looks good, but missing that sex appeal.

Ducati - looks to die for, user interface for electronics look a little dated (but the system works), but love the linear torque. I just couldn't get past the fact that the valves still need to be done so frequently compared to the Japanese products. That's why I went Yamaha.

Good luck.

For the new Panigale's they actually are now scheduled for every 24K

Thanks for the insight. I'm surprised you would pick the 675. See I think I need to ride a CBR 1000RR to get an understanding of what you mean.

Also, guess it wasnt ;) Maybe it was ;)

Let me expand. The CBR is a great package for sure. It'll do everything from doddle around in stop and go traffic to accelerate in a way that makes you wonder how anyone could possibly hold onto these things (as any litre bike does the first time), and it does it ALL very well. But, for me, it's just so happy to do everything in such a smooth effortless way, it just lacks that something. The Aprilia for example, is dramatic from the second it fires.. that's what I like in a toy; and I get the same from the Daytona, even though the engine performance is not in the same league. But you hit the nail on the head! Ride it before you make any decisions!

And I just saw an 899 and a chin mount gopro, so I assumed haha

If you want us to choose I would go this way:
1. D675
2. Duck
3. 1000rr

If you want us to choose on your behalf where road common sense escapes you:
1. Duck (impractical for road use but looks cool)
2. 1000rr because 1l makes your pecker bigger than everyone else ( you may not track it)
3. D675 - why would you go to the equivalent of a 250 ninja - not a litter and is missing 1 cylinder

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Not sure how I feel about this motorcycle. Seems.... odd looking
Picture it without the watermark. ?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom