Having difficulty selling your bike? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Having difficulty selling your bike?

Strange. I'm with Statsman on this one. I scroll pics, then price, then click for deets. But I have never been in the market for a track bike,

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

You might want to consider that approach.
People will post pics of other bikes to get you to their place because quite a few ppl can feel obligated or say what the hell I am here already...at most they buy the bike, at the least you wasted your time going to see a polished turd.

True story, sold a bike without ever starting it.
Guy called me (autotrader ad days), new rider, engineer type...he asked me some basic questions and one of them was about oil changes.
He came to see the bike. I lifted the cover (still winterized) and he thought it was brand new. He gave me deposit...I had to get a battery for it.
He brought a friend to check it out but he did not seem as knowledgeable.

I asked him why did he buy my bike without starting it. He said do you know how many ppl couldn't tell me when they changed the oil and there you are rattling off very detail off the top of your head and the people I can verify that wrenched on the bike (former Kawi factory mechanic).
I said no worries, when I fire it up if you don't like the sound we can cancel the deal. Bike sold, he said had you started it he would have paid me more.
I said I am cool, you paid me what I asked for. Cool story bro :)

Moral of the story, you complain about tire kickers...weed them out with the ad and be a legit seller.

I've had straight up sellers and buyers and then some that were anything but straight up. Roll of the dice.

That ad is ****ing terrible... he manages to contradict himself several times, which makes the whole thing sound like lies.

"The bad - none, I have to get a battery since this is likely dead (in storage)."

So the bad is that it needs a new battery

"...
clear/clean street title. My buddy’s former street bike, he had a little off. I was there, he went off into the side of the road little 2ft ‘ditch’ side road parallel to 401 in Whitby by the truck stop (Princess Auto area). Street plastics were cracked and insurance wrote bike off. I bought it and turned into track bike. It does have a street title so you can ride it on the street. "

So insurance wrote it off, but it was bought back and re-registered? That means it now has a "salvage" title, no? Which means it's not a "clear/clean street" title, as he mentions in the ad.

This is a track bike, and I would never buy it for the street, nor would I advise anyone else to. Track bikes have to have their bolts wired, which (to me) involves a good amount of wrenching to get done; the current owner has LOTS of piece of mind because he conducted the work, but any potential buyer does not have that guarantee - I don't know you, or how bad or good you are at working on bikes, so I don't trust you. The seller is obviously trying to appeal to more people by marketing it as a streetable bike, but that is a track bike and should be sold to people looking for track bikes.

JESUS.

That ad is ****ing terrible... he manages to contradict himself several times, which makes the whole thing sound like lies.

"The bad - none, I have to get a battery since this is likely dead (in storage)."

So the bad is that it needs a new battery

"...
clear/clean street title. My buddy’s former street bike, he had a little off. I was there, he went off into the side of the road little 2ft ‘ditch’ side road parallel to 401 in Whitby by the truck stop (Princess Auto area). Street plastics were cracked and insurance wrote bike off. I bought it and turned into track bike. It does have a street title so you can ride it on the street. "

So insurance wrote it off, but it was bought back and re-registered? That means it now has a "salvage" title, no? Which means it's not a "clear/clean street" title, as he mentions in the ad.

This is a track bike, and I would never buy it for the street, nor would I advise anyone else to. Track bikes have to have their bolts wired, which (to me) involves a good amount of wrenching to get done; the current owner has LOTS of piece of mind because he conducted the work, but any potential buyer does not have that guarantee - I don't know you, or how bad or good you are at working on bikes, so I don't trust you. The seller is obviously trying to appeal to more people by marketing it as a streetable bike, but that is a track bike and should be sold to people looking for track bikes.

JESUS.

uhm, did you read the thread.
That's my ad. You clearly demonstrated that you are not fully informed and do not know what you speak about.
Please stop spreading false information, it makes you look stupid. Do you know the difference between salvage and rebuilt?
It is already setup to be plated and registered properly.

Bike was not raced, it had 4 hours in total track time going slow around the track (back of green) to setup the bike and suspension (by Craig Atkinson (do you know who that is).
That's why it is not safety wired. I can be made a street bike which would kick the pooh out of most street bikes.
Does your street bike have a full front and rear suspension setup e.g. Ohlins?

Anyways, no surprise to hear from the less informed.
Carry on...thanks for the bump:cool:

Last edited:
You didnt address either of things he mentioned. Does your bike have a valid title or not? Does the ownership say FIT or SAL? If it says SAL you cant register it on the road. If it says FIT then insurance didnt write off the bike.

I inquired on a kijiji ad today. The guy is selling supermoto wheels and I inquired with the question "what size are these wheels, front and rear?" He responded two hours later with "these tires are for the street"

face right into palm!

uhm, did you read the thread.
That's my ad. You clearly demonstrated that you are not fully informed and do not know what you speak about.
Please stop spreading false information, it makes you look stupid. Do you know the difference between salvage and rebuilt?
It is already setup to be plated and registered properly.

Bike was not raced, it had 4 hours in total track time going slow around the track (back of green) to setup the bike and suspension (by Craig Atkinson (do you know who that is).
That's why it is not safety wired. I can be made a street bike which would kick the pooh out of most street bikes.
Does your street bike have a full front and rear suspension setup e.g. Ohlins?

Anyways, no surprise to hear from the less informed.
Carry on...thanks for the bump:cool:

You didnt address either of things he mentioned. Does your bike have a valid title or not? Does the ownership say FIT or SAL? If it says SAL you cant register it on the road. If it says FIT then insurance didnt write off the bike.

Seriously, you can't read either?

I inquired on a kijiji ad today. The guy is selling supermoto wheels and I inquired with the question "what size are these wheels, front and rear?" He responded two hours later with "these tires are for the street"

face right into palm!

don't facepalm, can't you see ppl have problems when you provide a lot of details.
I thought you were going to say he replied stating the wheels are round:lmao:

It is possible to receive settlement from insurance and not have a brand applied if the damage is not severe enough to warrant "irreparable" status.

]The "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" brands don't apply to motorcycles. A motorcycle is branded as "Irreparable" where there is frame damage that requires replacement.The "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" brands don't apply to motorcycles. A motorcycle is branded as "Irreparable" where there is frame damage that requires replacement.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/vehicle-branding-program.shtml

However outside branding is not accepted in any way and automatically leads to irreparable

All imported motorcycles previously branded "Salvage," "Rebuilt" or an equivalent brand are branded "Irreparable" when registered in Ontario. This means that the vehicle will never be eligible to be driven on Ontario roads. The regular green vehicle permit is still issued.
A permit is not issued for vehicles that are "wrecked," which means they have been crushed or dismantled.
There are no exemptions from this requirement.

All that said, ad is a spastic read, I'd likely avoid unless it was EXACTLY what I was looking for and there wasn't much else to choose from

Seriously, you can't read either?

Yeah, I can, i just have run into a lot of people that are under the impression you can get a salvage titled bike (or irreparable now I guess?) turned back into a fit bike because you could up until 10 years ago. The law changed, not everyone knows that. You could also be talking about going to quebec and getting it changed then bringing it back to ontario. There are tons of people that would say thats a "minor" inconvenience for such a great price on a used bike, when they are the ones selling it at least.

I can "set up" a home built car with everything it needs to get plated and registered, doesnt mean I actually can do it, or do it easily.

Yeah, I can, i just have run into a lot of people that are under the impression you can get a salvage titled bike (or irreparable now I guess?) turned back into a fit bike because you could up until 10 years ago. The law changed, not everyone knows that. You could also be talking about going to quebec and getting it changed then bringing it back to ontario. There are tons of people that would say thats a "minor" inconvenience for such a great price on a used bike, when they are the ones selling it at least.

I can "set up" a home built car with everything it needs to get plated and registered, doesnt mean I actually can do it, or do it easily.

Ok, I give you a pass, thanks for admitting you did not know, all good.

Hence the details in my ad, at any point the details of some of the special parts can be verified from previous owners/suppliers.
Someone pointed out the date on the tires, which happened to be when the track day pics were taken...hence another thing that lines up...pics match tire info.

Scammers don't post that amount of details because they will get caught very easily by someone looking for this setup, can't post details you don't have either...instead they post info such as clean bike and clean title until you go and find out bike is not clean or their is a lien on the bike e.g. that Ducati thread with the 'cop' stating lien is clear but there was a lien.

As mentioned my ad is directed towards a very specific group of people not just the average Joe Blow.
You have no idea how many people want some of the parts especially the KRT ECU.
If someone wants to add light or Chinese body work to ride on the street then great they will have a street and full race/track ready bike.
And I likely wont sell it to a stunter either.

I wasnt trying to imply you were scamming, I was just saying that I agree with the guy who says the detail about the ownership status seemed conflicting. Its possible you can say something you believe to be true but isnt actually, again like people who have told me "Yeah this bike is totally clean, it has a salvage title but i replaced the frame so you can get it recertified now". They probably arent lying, they believe you can do that because 20 years ago they did it without issue before the law was changed.

I wasnt trying to imply you were scamming, I was just saying that I agree with the guy who says the detail about the ownership status seemed conflicting. Its possible you can say something you believe to be true but isnt actually, again like people who have told me "Yeah this bike is totally clean, it has a salvage title but i replaced the frame so you can get it recertified now". They probably arent lying, they believe you can do that because 20 years ago they did it without issue before the law was changed.

There is no belief here, I deal in facts.
Note sure when we made this societal leap when what people think they believe is tolerated as facts.:D
I have a UVIP and ownership in hand (from this Spring)...( I am pretty sure I posted that in the ad, will have to double check).
I will be more than happy to attend the MTO with buyer and finish the deal there.

Actually you raised a valid point, you can buy a frame from someone parting out or a clean title. Apply title to a bike written off or swap parts over to the new frame, polish bike up and viola...mint condition never dropped yada yada...you know the rest.

It's all good, you are proving a point for me...my ad weeds out the uninformed which I don't have time to waste holding their hands...isn't that what a lot of you complain about...to many tire kickers and ppl wasting your time.

It's an awesome machine, I was thinking of turning it into a street fighter ( more upright bike like a FZ 7/9) but I already have a another project bike in the works.

Thank you "D", this has been an eye opening experience.
Your photos are sub par, but if you expand them and zoom in they are fine. As if a potential buyer will bother and it's thier fault if they don't.
Your text is contradictory and misleading, but that is to narrow down the field to only serious buyers.
It has been pointed out that there are a number of flaws in your ad.
Your response is that it's somehow the buyer's fault. Never yours.
I believe this entire thread should be saved and posted under the title of How NOT to sell your motorcycle.
The amount of time you have taken to comment and react to the comments of others about your ad is 20 times longer than the amount of time it would take to act on the comments you have received and fix the ad.
There is little point in commenting further, so I won't.

Last edited:
"Hey what do you guys think of my ad?"
"meh"
"I DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK!"

I've had buyers ask me to send them close up shots of the frame to see factory welds (on bikes that are clearly not dropped). I just tell them to come see the bike as my pics are always clear and close up.

I denied one buyer a test ride because he didn't have cash in hand. He came back two days later and wanted to buy the bike but told me to ride it down the street for him so he could "hear" it. It was -2c and snowing at the time so he got a "no" to that request also.

I've had buyers ask me to send them close up shots of the frame to see factory welds (on bikes that are clearly not dropped). I just tell them to come see the bike as my pics are always clear and close up.

I denied one buyer a test ride because he didn't have cash in hand. He came back two days later and wanted to buy the bike but told me to ride it down the street for him so he could "hear" it. It was -2c and snowing at the time so he got a "no" to that request also.

Exactly, a man that has been there and done that.:cool:

@Statsman, you sound lazy. Once you click on the pic it automatically expands. Are you serious, it's too much work for you or someone to click on a photo. If that is the case then once again you proved my point that I don't want to deal with a 'buyer' like that.

* I never said I would not modify my ad, clearly I will get to it when I return to clear up the title part...because stating clear title with details is somehow confusing for some people.

I believe this entire thread should be saved and posted under the title of How NOT to sell your motorcycle.

LOL

-D-, you asked (on an open forum) what we all think of your ad, so I gave my (perhaps a little harsh) feedback. No need to fling insults in either direction, but your ad should state that the bike has a "rebuilt title", and I think mentioning the size of the ditch that your boy was found in after writing off the bike, is pretty damn irrelevant (and hilarious)

I browse for street bikes, but I'm looking for those that have been un-molested. Ideally 100% stock, and the only work done to them was maintenance. To each his/her own :)

Cheers, and GLWS.

Touching on some of my earlier comments in this thread about replying to people in a timely fashion when you're selling something, I just received a response (via text) from somebody selling an iPhone. I inquired about it (via text) a week ago. I was immediately reminded of this thread.

We found and bought another one from someone else 5 days ago. I replied "Sorry, never heard back from you, we moved on", to which he didn't bother replying.

I dont get some people. Meanwhile, he's probably complaining to friends that "I can't sell this stupid phone".

Back
Top Bottom