BMW Bringing Carbon Fiber Tech To Motorcycle Frames | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW Bringing Carbon Fiber Tech To Motorcycle Frames

Heh, I also missed the bit under S1000RR where MCN mentions two frame types, the second could be for future R1200 models.

looks like we jetted off into a different direction

if harley davidson built a plane, would you fly in it ? :0)
main-qimg-6a5640be1dacf5de5e51828fbd9bb872

Last edited:
It's funny, so much hate for the attempted progress; bet it wasn't much different when the first aluminium framed bikes appeared.

It's funny, so much hate for the attempted progress; bet it wasn't much different when the first aluminium framed bikes appeared.

i dunno... i think people are expressing a healthy skepticism against having needless and expensive technology rammed down their throats...when the alu framed gixxers came out in '85 i remember most enthusiasts being pretty excited ..maybe consumers will embrace cf as well ...who knows?

Last edited:
i dunno... i think people are expressing a healthy skepticism against having needless and expensive technology rammed down their throats...when the alu framed gixxers came out in '85 i remember most enthusiasts being pretty excited ..maybe consumers will embrace cf as well ...who knows?

Does anyone know how CF burns?
Meaning in an accident once fire starts, how does that stuff burn?

As for CF debate...again...why did MotoGP return to metal?

Once the first plane with CF falls apart they will all be recalled and scrapped...mark thy words down please.
There is a place for CF...probably not for things of this importance.

P
EDIT: Crankall, how does CF eat stainless and aluminum? I didn't know if this property.

The carbon it self produces a chemical reaction, almost like a galvanic reaction with some metals, a low grade stainless fastner shows visible degradation in 3 years. There is a product called Tefgel thats used to isolate fasteners and some people use a plastic insert on a pop rivet to isolate, it can cause some challenge with torque settings and wearability.

The masts i sometimes service on 35-40ft sailboats see loads way over anything you'd ever see on a motorcycle part, 12 -14,000lbs of shock loading and as part of a frame, (google marconi rig) its amazing the stress they take without breaking, but when they do its pretty interesting to watch a carbon mast taller than a telephone pole fall down.

As an aside I'm also using a far bit of PBO and Dyneema fiber rope to replace stainless steel wire rope as rigging. The fiber rope is stronger than stainless , weighs less and actually stretches less.

riders were complaining about no feel from the front end ....heres an excerpt from an article on it...

he problem is not that CF is too stiff, but that the feedback it provides differs so completely from conventional aluminium. The property most often quoted is hysteresis, which in this instance, refers to the rate at which absorbed energy is returned. One of the benefits of CF is the fact that it can be made to damp vibration, its hysteresis meaning that the energy absorbed from an input (such as striking a bump) is released in a much more controlled fashion. Tap an aluminium tube and it rings like a bell; tap a CF tube and it emits a dull thud.
This is a property that Ducati had hoped would help them solve the problem of chatter (or extreme vibration over bumps) but it had an unintended side effect. Just as with the original attempts at using carbon fiber for chassis, starting with the Cagiva back in 1990, the damping also removes some of the feel from the front end.

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2011/08/08/the_trouble_with_the_ducati_desmosedici_.html

riders were complaining about no feel from the front end ....heres an excerpt from an article on it...

he problem is not that CF is too stiff, but that the feedback it provides differs so completely from conventional aluminium. The property most often quoted is hysteresis, which in this instance, refers to the rate at which absorbed energy is returned. One of the benefits of CF is the fact that it can be made to damp vibration, its hysteresis meaning that the energy absorbed from an input (such as striking a bump) is released in a much more controlled fashion. Tap an aluminium tube and it rings like a bell; tap a CF tube and it emits a dull thud.
This is a property that Ducati had hoped would help them solve the problem of chatter (or extreme vibration over bumps) but it had an unintended side effect. Just as with the original attempts at using carbon fiber for chassis, starting with the Cagiva back in 1990, the damping also removes some of the feel from the front end.

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2011/08/08/the_trouble_with_the_ducati_desmosedici_.html

So it would be as if they were riding a plank of wood (plank probably give more feedback).

The carbon it self produces a chemical reaction, almost like a galvanic reaction with some metals, a low grade stainless fastner shows visible degradation in 3 years. There is a product called Tefgel thats used to isolate fasteners and some people use a plastic insert on a pop rivet to isolate, it can cause some challenge with torque settings and wearability.

The masts i sometimes service on 35-40ft sailboats see loads way over anything you'd ever see on a motorcycle part, 12 -14,000lbs of shock loading and as part of a frame, (google marconi rig) its amazing the stress they take without breaking, but when they do its pretty interesting to watch a carbon mast taller than a telephone pole fall down.

As an aside I'm also using a far bit of PBO and Dyneema fiber rope to replace stainless steel wire rope as rigging. The fiber rope is stronger than stainless , weighs less and actually stretches less.

TLDR - drywall from China

Does anyone know how CF burns?
Meaning in an accident once fire starts, how does that stuff burn?

Because Ducati. I think it will make a return at some point; when, who knows. And yes, it's burns.

Can you win with composite chassis'? Yes. Ironically, built to take on Ducati

10-britten.jpg

How does it burn? Slow burn, fast burn, lots of toxic smoke?

Also what about street use with gas fumes around the bike or slow fuel leak...or fuel spill.
Gas on metal not an issue.

What about the bike being exposed to hi temps and the sun/uv rays for hours day after day?
That can't be good.

Did anyone try to make a Ti frame?

it burns really really hot , accumulates a lot of smoke and once its going , its fast. Its an epoxy resin base material. UV is its enemy, again because of the resins, you can use a UV topcoat laquer and UV resistant resins and paint is even better, but you went to carbon for weight savings sometimes and paint is heavy.

So sad the Britten production numbers never made it past 10 units?

The whole exercise seems pointless since weight isn't really a problem with sport bikes. They might want to look at improving fuel mileage instead, which tends to be horrendous on most motorcycles for their size.
Is anything a problem on sportbikes right now? Of course not. Fuel mileage is not a concern on a performance machine either.

it burns really really hot , accumulates a lot of smoke and once its going , its fast. Its an epoxy resin base material. UV is its enemy, again because of the resins, you can use a UV topcoat laquer and UV resistant resins and paint is even better, but you went to carbon for weight savings sometimes and paint is heavy.

So sad the Britten production numbers never made it past 10 units?

So what will happen to a bike that sits out in the sun...bikes are ridden mostly when it's sunny...seems like imminent failure.
Are you saying one little crash some gas leaking spark and FLASH fire unlike metal which does not catch on fire.

Is anything a problem on sportbikes right now? Of course not. Fuel mileage is not a concern on a performance machine either.

Valid point.

What about when bikes go electric, any issues with compounds mixing, battery leaking on frame?
I am all for technology but this application does not seem to make sense considering the downsides.
Who is really pushing this and why?

I guess one little mishap on the bike with CF and goodbye bike or needs a new frame.
Great way to ensure constant bike sales.

Back
Top Bottom