Anyone in Sudbury willing to check a bike out for me? Also FZ6 vs Hornet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone in Sudbury willing to check a bike out for me? Also FZ6 vs Hornet?

Zooz

Hey everyone,

I am looking to purchase a bike, and there is one in Sudbury that I really like. Its an fz6. The problem is, its way too far to just go to check it out. Is anyone in the area that can take a look at it and let me know? Idk if you'd like financial compensation or something, but we can figure something out.

Otherwise, I had a question about fz6 vs the hornet. I love how the hornet looks, but I was looking at the fz6 because of fuel injection. I'm looking at a bunch of 2004-2006 hornets tomorrow, and I wanted to make a decision soon. What would you guys suggest?

Fuel injection is so much nicer than carbs honestly. Less maintenance, really reliable systems by the time they got them into bikes. I cant see buying another carbed bike after I've had a couple fuel injection bikes, I just dont have the time to do maintenance that carbed bikes expect anymore. I used to be ok with spending a day off wrenching on my bike, not so much anymore, id rather just get on and ride these days.

Fuel injection is so much nicer than carbs honestly. Less maintenance, really reliable systems by the time they got them into bikes. I cant see buying another carbed bike after I've had a couple fuel injection bikes, I just dont have the time to do maintenance that carbed bikes expect anymore. I used to be ok with spending a day off wrenching on my bike, not so much anymore, id rather just get on and ride these days.

Is it really that bad? I've had my current bike (84 magna) for over a year, everything ends up needing some maint. of course, but the carbs are only annoying when its cold out. Ofc I've never had an EFI bike

Is it really that bad? I've had my current bike (84 magna) for over a year, everything ends up needing some maint. of course, but the carbs are only annoying when its cold out. Ofc I've never had an EFI bike
No, it's not that bad. Carbs were the absolute norm for many years with no real problems. The key to carbs is proper storage in winter. My current bike is Fi, carbs wouldn't deter me from buying a bike I wanted.
Fuel injected bikes have a fuel pump, costly when it fails. That fuel pump is mounted in the tank so you now carry less fuel. Fuel injection brings a lot more electronics, so if your battery is less than perfect it will not start your bike, and forget about bump starting with fuel injection.
In other words, Fi is great but it's not the be all end all. There is nothing wrong with carbs.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I've owned more than a few carb'd bikes (and countless other powersport toys with carbs as well), never had any problems whatsoever nor had to spend any amount of time wrenching on any of them because of such.

As mentioned, winterize them right and chances are you'll never touch the carb for as long as you own the bike. And having to put a choke on while cold starting isn't a biggie to me. I'm not against FI, just saying that there are potential downfalls (good luck bump starting your bike if you ever accidentally kill your battery), but what I am saying is that I wouldn't base a buying decision on it one way or the other.

I was in the same boat as you last year

Go with a hornet 919

It's fuel injected and very comfy

My bike

e2ee971e83b6ebd1c56542b32c8ba774.jpg

5c3940fa93f0acd380f8d2ae2f5dbf1a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Go with a hornet 919

My bike

e2ee971e83b6ebd1c56542b32c8ba774.jpg

5c3940fa93f0acd380f8d2ae2f5dbf1a.jpg

Very nice ride!

I've owned more than a few carb'd bikes (and countless other powersport toys with carbs as well), never had any problems whatsoever nor had to spend any amount of time wrenching on any of them because of such.

As mentioned, winterize them right and chances are you'll never touch the carb for as long as you own the bike. And having to put a choke on while cold starting isn't a biggie to me. I'm not against FI, just saying that there are potential downfalls (good luck bump starting your bike if you ever accidentally kill your battery), but what I am saying is that I wouldn't base a buying decision on it one way or the other.

No, it's not that bad. Carbs were the absolute norm for many years with no real problems. The key to carbs is proper storage in winter. My current bike is Fi, carbs wouldn't deter me from buying a bike I wanted.
Fuel injected bikes have a fuel pump, costly when it fails. That fuel pump is mounted in the tank so you now carry less fuel. Fuel injection brings a lot more electronics, so if your battery is less than perfect it will not start your bike, and forget about bump starting with fuel injection.
In other words, Fi is great but it's not the be all end all. There is nothing wrong with carbs.

Thanks guys! Yeah I winterized my bike properly and didn't have any problems with the carbs. I'm going to go check out the 3 main hornets and 1 fz6 today.

Go with a hornet 919

That's a gorgeous bike man! I can't go with the 919 unfortunately because my insurance would skyrocket, looking around the 600cc class.

Why don't you start with getting a quote?

It might not be much different than your 600

Insurance is weird

Again I was in the same boat as you and I found the 900 not too much more expensive than the 600

If you go choose to go with the 600 hornet

Check this workshop tomorrow

https://www.motorevere.com/products/carburator-workshop

I have never had an issue bump starting a fuel injected bike. Drained multiple batteries to the point that the bike exhibited absolutely zero signs of life, was always able to bump start. Sometimes I did need a partner to help push for more momentum, but have never not been able to bumpstart. Side note, the only bike I have not been able to bumpstart is my carb'd KTM, but that's more because it's a big thumper than anything to do with fuel.

The carb on my KTM is absolutely flawless, and is perhaps the best fuelling I have had on any bike I've owned, thankfully I bought it that way. That's not always the case though, tuning a carb'd bike is black magic to most techs these days. Good luck if you have one that's not running right. FI is comparatively maintenance free, it just works.

I was looking at a few 599's before I bought my FZ6. It's been a while, but I remember it being a much smaller bike physically. At 5'10, I felt a bit cramped on it which is what led me to the FZ6. Both are very nice bikes.

Fuel Injection all day, any day. Carbs are fine but FI runs way smoother and nowhere near as susceptible to temperature and altidude changes. I've owned 5 carbed and 3 FI bikes.

Go for the FZ6 - great bike, and should be able to buy super cheap. People want too much for Hornets.

Why don't you start with getting a quote?

It might not be much different than your 600

Insurance is weird

Again I was in the same boat as you and I found the 900 not too much more expensive than the 600

If you go choose to go with the 600 hornet

Check this workshop tomorrow

https://www.motorevere.com/products/carburator-workshop

I got some quotes, it was MUCH higher. I'm 22, one year of insurance record. I wish I could go to that workshop but I'm working unfortunately.

I was looking at a few 599's before I bought my FZ6. It's been a while, but I remember it being a much smaller bike physically. At 5'10, I felt a bit cramped on it which is what led me to the FZ6. Both are very nice bikes.

I'm 5'9, the ones I test drove today seemed to fit me alright.

Fuel Injection all day, any day. Carbs are fine but FI runs way smoother and nowhere near as susceptible to temperature and altidude changes. I've owned 5 carbed and 3 FI bikes.

Go for the FZ6 - great bike, and should be able to buy super cheap. People want too much for Hornets.

That was my problem, all the FZ6 sellers were being super unreasonable with price. For bikes that had either been down, or had some issue, or anything, they weren't willing to wiggle at all. Despite me showing them market value and dealership prices.

I've decided on a 2004 hornet, $3800, all stock parts in a box, tasteful modifications (full system hindle exhaust, integrated lights, levers, and many more.) in matte black (favorite color, matches helmet too). What do you guys think? Pull the trigger?

Quick question about the FZ6 you were looking at.
FZ6 and FZ6R are two different bikes.

Yep I'm aware, I was only looking at the FZ6, no R versions. My old bike has tons of grunt, the R wouldn't be a HUGE improvement over it.

I ended up getting the 2004 honda hornet, the one I really liked. Man, she GOES! The ride home was fantastic, I'm already in love

I was also considering a hornet (and a SV650S) a few weeks ago, but decided I didn't want to lose both ABS and EFI (I don't think we ever got ABS equipped Hornets here did we?) so I ended up choosing a FZ6.

I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam, the FZ6 is a little bit awkward to back up. I think the Hornet is a little smaller than the FZ6 right?

Yep I'm aware, I was only looking at the FZ6, no R versions. My old bike has tons of grunt, the R wouldn't be a HUGE improvement over it.

I ended up getting the 2004 honda hornet, the one I really liked. Man, she GOES! The ride home was fantastic, I'm already in love

I was also considering a hornet (and a SV650S) a few weeks ago, but decided I didn't want to lose both ABS and EFI (I don't think we ever got ABS equipped Hornets here did we?) so I ended up choosing a FZ6.

I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam, the FZ6 is a little bit awkward to back up. I think the Hornet is a little smaller than the FZ6 right?
Two new bikes in one week and no pics. Wtf? Didn't happen.

Two new bikes in one week and no pics. Wtf? Didn't happen.

I posted a picture in the latest purchase thread in multimedia :D

Back
Top Bottom