Riding in Japan | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in Japan

slowbird

September 1st I'm on a flight to Japan. Spending 3 days on foot exploring Yokohama and Tokyo before getting on a rental CB400SF Revo and spending 9 days riding around the country.

I'm all set for booking the rental and the flight and the first 3 nights stay in Japan.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience riding down there, or knows any riders I could hook up with or bike/car meets.

I'll be doing my best to stay out of the cities and riding around between them and staying on the outskirts.

Wow - nice choice of bike. Almost bought one here in Australia. Been a very long time since I've been in Japan but you can't miss spending some time around Mount Fuji.

This looks like your best source for info
http://gaijinriders.com
here are specific routes
http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthread.php?5471-Bikejin-magazine-s-top-16-motorcycle-roads-in-Japan

some info here
https://motorcycleparadise.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/best-motorcycle-roads-in-japan.html

and maybe here.
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-japan-/japan-__14606.html

You are riding the opposite side of the road as I do when I'm in Australia. My tip for that is keep the shifter at the curb and you are on the correct side.
Left hand turns can throw you initially - especially anything with an island as you tend to want to go out and around which in lightly populated tropical Australia is not an issue and cause for laughter from riding buddies....could be hurtful on the heavily travelled Japanese roads.

As long as there are some other vehicles around you tend to cope very well..things like turning out of a service station can get you muddled as and make sure you park pointing the way you want to turn out.....otherwise habit kicks in.

Good luck ...send lots of pics....as I said....long time since I"ve been in Japan ( 80s ).
Tokyo is very easy to get around on public transport subway and light rail but careful after 11 pm as the city changes look a lot.
If you want a humorous look at the innocent traveller in Japan. Enlightment Guaranteed is hilarious and right on the mark as far as "bewildering" goes.
[video=youtube;6fXi4lOJe1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fXi4lOJe1I[/video]
It's much fun and might help the culture shock a bit.

Oh yeah ...you gotta take a ride on the Bullet Train and get a bento box as you travel at insane speeds.

Careful if take any medicines ..some over the counter cold and allergy stuff ( anything with pseudo-ephridine ) can get you a "no arguments" conviction in Japan.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

this might be useful ....I assume you are carrying medical insurance.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7119.html

I found RBC travel meidcal insurance the least expensive. I buy an annual as I travel so much ....so it would cover you for US rides as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Macdoc.

Links are great. I've been researching the trip for awhile now so I've seen all those. Still very thankful though.

Riding on the left will be interesting and I'm looking forward to the adventure.

I take no medication and I work for the Fire dept so my insurance is good. Regardless, I am calling them on Monday and making sure I don't need to take out more.

Mt.Fuji is up there along with the Nihhon Romantic Highway and others on one of those links.

Figured but you never know ....was fun hunting links.
If you remember the shift on the curb side...driving opposite side should pose no problem...brilliant choice of bike....have fun.

Figured but you never know ....was fun hunting links.
If you remember the shift on the curb side...driving opposite side should pose no problem...brilliant choice of bike....have fun.

Thanks Mac!

I was worried the CB400Sf might be too small. I'm used to more Sport-Touring like bikes for my long distance rides, though this little guy seems quite capable for where I'll be going

It's a bike where V-Tec is truly useful. Easy riding around town and a little speedster when the V-Tec kicks in.

It's a bike where V-Tec is truly useful. Easy riding around town and a little speedster when the V-Tec kicks in.

Yeah I'm excited to ride it. Even with luggage I think it'll be fun to ride

in the '90s I spent a year in Kyushu, Japan's most southern island. It was very rural. I had a Suzuki scooter that I still have fond memories of that bike. I rode a lot on the weekends, all over, visiting various friends and touring around.

It was difficult adjusting to riding on the left side of the road. There were times when I forgot (early morning, not too awake) when I almost met the Maker, but in the end I did learn. Scared the hell out of a lady when I left turned into her lane, oncoming traffic. Thankfully she screeched her 1 L mini car to a halt before squishing me. I did profusely apologize in Japanese, and felt very bad later. The speed limit was 40 kph, thankfully. Gaijin, ne? Some things are very instinctual. Unlike in China, the gear shifter works the same as here. Road speeds are much slower where I was, no more than 50kph on most roads. Their cars are smaller, their speeds are slower.

The coast around Kyushu is very beautiful and there is a lot to see. The people are really lovely and friendly, and the country is the safest I have felt, which includes Canada. There are a lot of local places to stay, very friendly. Onsens, or hot springs, are very common and after a day of riding would be a real treat. Onsens are sex separated, you wash first with soap and water, and then go into the hot spring. Japanese like really hot water, so test the water before you go in, as it could be super hot and you'll come out looking like a boiled lobster.

The gas stations are really interesting. There is this polite fussiness where the attendants jog up to you and will gas your bike up for you, and they do a super clean job. They offer to clean your bike. At every fill up a lot of bowing is involved, which is common in Japan. I do miss this politeness and attention to detail. You will quickly see why Japanese products have high quality and great attention to detail, so unlike/opposite to China and even North America.

Japan is volcanic, obviously. Not so evident is that they can and do blow their tops on a regular basis, spewing volcanic ash all over, well, everywhere. It looks like a grey version of 3cm of freshly fallen snow, but the weather is hot. If this happens be very careful as the volcanic ash is very slippery, even on a bicycle.

Japanese car and truck drivers are very courteous, follow the road signs and will stop to help if they feel you need something. Compared to here it is night and day. The vehicle licensing requirements in Japan are really strict and it shows with their quality of driving. The Japanese police are polite and will not screw you over, but then again I only encountered them twice, both positive experiences.

Japanese learner drivers must post a symbol on their car. It is an arrow pointed down in yellow on the left and green/blue on the right. Try to avoid these drivers.
attachment.php

So much to remember, riding for a year in Japan. All really good memories and experiences.

Attachments

• japan-learner-driver-symbol.png
    japan-learner-driver-symbol.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 280
I rode in Japan last year from Tokyo to Mt Fuji+Hakone.

My experience was pretty good but had a few difficulties.

-Had to get used to riding on the left side. In the city it was no problem as I followed the flow of traffic but when I went out to the countryside, I found myself on the wrong side a few times
-There are underground highways in some places in Tokyo which could be confusing when trying to follow a GPS (I didnt have a mounted GPS, only one that I checked every now and then)...which brings me to my next point
-Get a mounted GPS. Almost all road signs are in Japanese. I navigated by remembering the exit numbers but also got lost a few times
-Be aware of lane splitters. Lane splitting appears to be allowed and common practise but they will split in very close quarters and very fast. Be aware of who is coming up behind you.
-Tolls galore! Carry cash/change with you and be ready to pay the tolls. It cost me almost 2000-3000 Yen to get from Tokyo to Mt Fuji. Toll both operators do not speak English from my experience.
-I had no idea how to use the gas pumps as the instructions were in Japanese...Had to get assistance from the attendant but had issues communicating because my phone was dead and couldnt use my translator. Learn some basic gas station/toll both related phrases.

Have fun and take lots of pics!

Last edited:
Thanks TorontoBoy and Wheelieboy for the replies and the advice. :D

Ive been doing a lot of reading and researching and I hope I will be as prepared as I can be. I know a few Japanese words and phrases and I'm trying to learn more. But "fill up tank" and "premium" I know, as well as the Kanji form for "premium".
I also know how to apologize and say thank you and the different forms of hello and goodbye.

Bike does come with a mounted English GPS as well as a Wireless hotspot so I can use google translates photo feature when I require it. (it's not bad)
Bike also comes with the Electronic toll card so no fishing around for change at the toll booths. Just go through the automatic gates.

I'm planning different routes though unfortunately extended forecast for the 9 days i'll be riding looks rainy. Also Japan is currently getting pummeled by Typhoons so I'm hoping things clear a bit for my trip.

Bike does come with a mounted English GPS as well as a Wireless hotspot so I can use google translates photo feature when I require it. (it's not bad)
Bike also comes with the Electronic toll card so no fishing around for change at the toll booths. Just go through the automatic gates.

that's brilliant - what is the cost for the rental??

Looks like fun.

I lived in Japan for 2 years. Went back for 3 weeks last summer with my family. Travelled from Shikoku to Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Tokyo.

If you want, I'm in Oakville and if you want to meet for a coffee before you go I will see if I can give you any advice and tips including some phrases if I can. しかし,私の日本語がどんどんへたになりました。

Send me a PM if you wish.

あなたが少なくとも与え彼漢字 :d

I can only select the kanji that I remember when they come up on my Japanese keyboard. Otherwise I have to stick with the phonetic. :)

Since I learned it in the 90s, some 25 years prior, I was told over and over last summer that I speak "old" Japanese. Makes sense. A generation has passed since then.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been around to reply. Been super busy with the planning and packing etc etc.

bakaboy, thanks for the offer! If I saw it sooner I would have taken you up on it.

My flight is in less than 24 hours.

Unfortunately the forecast has gone from a bit of rain, to them calling for rain everyday I'll be on the bike.

First day on the bike isn't till September 5th so hopefully the extended forecast is wrong.
Rain or shine I'm determined to ride :glasses2:

Hey Everyone. I got home a few days ago and had to go straight back into life. It's kinda ****** being back. No word of a lie, I spent so much time on a Motorcycle in Japan with some of the greatest roads and amongst motorists that drive properly and get out of the way and are courteous that now I'm back and driving around Toronto I can't stand it.

But anyways, Cherahola, Blue Ridge, The Dragon, 555, Cabot trail....all roads I have ridden and were all on the top of my best roads I've ever ridden list until I visited Japan. Pretty much all of them have been knocked down the list by the roads in Japan. It seems like almost every road...even the ones you use to get to the popular roads are ****ing amazing. Great surface, great scenery...just astounding.
Roads around Mt. Fuji, the road over Mt. Kusatsu-Shirane (Highest road in Japan at 2,180m), Route 120, Venus Line, Izu Skyline and all the roads around it...all just spectacular.

Route 292. Mt. Kusatsu-Shirane in Gunma Prefecture
HT3tZrz.jpg

Route 292. Mt. Kusatsu-Shirane. Gunma Prefecture

quxVUfQ.jpg

Route 120 (Nihon Romantic Highway) from Nikko, Tochigi Prefecture heading west.

mmnsYvx.jpg

I'll post more pics later, and videos when I get done watching them and formatting them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom