Tire warmers, new or used? and what kind? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire warmers, new or used? and what kind?

mbroyda

whats the general consensus on used tire warmers? are they worth buying used? if not whats everyone use? Bickle? Woodcraft?

this was my first season riding track on a dedicated track bike on street tires, and I want to get some warmers and slicks for next season.
I'm not fast by any means (bottom half of yellow group) and dont think i'm pushing the Q3s to their limits but would like to stop wondering if my tire is warm enough after the 2nd lap

Cheers

Max

Q3, it's warm enough after a couple laps. If you want to use track tires use warmers, street tires just do a couple warm up laps.

Q3, it's warm enough after a couple laps. If you want to use track tires use warmers, street tires just do a couple warm up laps.

i'm reading different opinions about this, some are in the "2 laps and you are good to go" camp and others are saying that you need to properly heat the tires and there is no way they are warm enough after 2 laps.

I recently low sided on turn 2 at Mosport (on the 3rd lap) trying to push my pace, and i'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the tires not being warm enough, but i'd like to take that out of the equation next time

FYI, I've run middle of red at Calabogie on Q3's with no issues.

To answer your question; If you can find a used set of Bickle warmers in good condition you can save a few hundred bucks and have warmers that are still great. I got my set used 3 years ago and they're still working great. The end of the CSBK season is tomorrow so keep your eyes open for end of season sales.

I've got a set of Moto-D's and like them, they run off my crappy 1k generator just fine and come with a two year warranty.

Well,,, consider that warmers are a consumable. If you get 3 years out of a set they have done you well. You can make a warmer that lasts years but you can not make a warmer that lasts and performs as required today,for race tire demands. Just got back from CTMP. this weekend we were sending guys out at 100 Celcius. They were coming in just over 100 C. We had one individual having extreme problems with tire pressure growth. He tried our new programmable model and we managed to reduce that pressure growth to less then half a pound. So my point,,what was is old,,, So if you wish to get the best value from your tires you need to set hot tire pressures.To do this you need a warmer designed for this generation of tire.
To help with your Mosport crash,,if you were doing 1:30 lap times that is 4.5 minutes,,takes me 40 minutes at 20 C to heat soak a tire.In fact we were going an hour this weekend,,,there is no way your carcass was heat soaked,,and here is your "Hot Tip" I mean the side wall to.

FYI, I've run middle of red at Calabogie on Q3's with no issues.

To answer your question; If you can find a used set of Bickle warmers in good condition you can save a few hundred bucks and have warmers that are still great. I got my set used 3 years ago and they're still working great. The end of the CSBK season is tomorrow so keep your eyes open for end of season sales.

without warmers?

without warmers?

Pro6 told me not to use warmers on Q3s. I know some people have but Pro6 is the Dunlop tire rep so I assume they know.

Jeff

Pro6 told me not to use warmers on Q3s. I know some people have but Pro6 is the Dunlop tire rep so I assume they know.

Jeff

that was also my understanding, but have seen some guys use warmers on street tires

It's a street tire, and can be overheated. The temperatures John mentioned is for true race tires with pro riders pushing them hard enough to gain even more heat. You won't do that with a Q3 at yellow group pace.

I've seen people do a lot of things, doesn't mean they were right.
Does it hurt when you type? :) get well soon buddy and if you need any help with anything let me know.

Resume thread :)

Does it hurt when you type? :) get well soon buddy and if you need any help with anything let me know.

Resume thread :)

Lol nope, about as good as one could expect considering. Laughing is not fun.

Anyway, street tires with warmers aren't recommended from the distributor so good chance you'll end up starting with over heated tires.

If a mfg'er specifies not to use warmers,,THEN don"t! A street tire is designed much different then a track tire. Baffels me how this is even a conversation about warmers and Q3's. If you are serious about using warmers then step away from the Q3's and get a DOT race tire. Then you can use warmers to help you move forward. Using warmers with Q3 tires will teach you nothing and "could" cause you problems.

Over heated Q3's - Broken ribs as a result of a highside - not me this time
10364166_10154144080695328_4374182011941732559_n.jpg

NO warmers, just racing. Q3's become slippery when over heated as per the blacky you see.

My ribs just started to hurt again after seeing that picture. :agave:

Back
Top Bottom