How dangerous is riding in the GTA? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How dangerous is riding in the GTA?

LOL. One needs to decouple the controls. Even if you hit a feature and your body gets catapulted forward or up or back, you should still have the ability to give as little or as much clutch, throttle or front brake as required or wanted.

A popular saying amongst shooters is to not pull the trigger, but rather to squeeze the trigger. This can only happen if you can decouple the two actions of holding the piece and firing the piece.

I always see people with all four fingers on the clutch lever or brake lever. IMO, it's just a matter of time before they crash. Slow speed work and technical riding requires precise steering control, braking and clutch work. This may be more offroad oriented but slow speed skills are key when riding downtown IMO. (ie. instead of putting a foot down at a light, just do a track stand and modulate the brakes/throttle/clutch as required to keep it upright for a few seconds or putting the feet up on the pegs from a standstill and only then ride off, etc. I'm not good at it although I treat every day out as a training session)

Also every bike is different. On my 690 Enduro with a hydraulic clutch, I only ever use one finger on the clutch and one on the front brake. Riding offroad or in areas where you are going dump the bike, this is even more important as you may need to hold the bike upright with the available fingers on the grips so the more fingers on the grips, the better.

However on my buddy's S1000RR, I need to use two of my weak fingers for his non hydraulic clutch setup. Not really hitting rocks with that thing though haha.

GTA drivers are some of the least competitent and most aggressive, careless, distracted etc...... drivers I've seen anywhere and it's getting worse, not better.

GTA drivers are garbage. Worst ones are those in the suburbs (any one of them, it doesn't matter which). The suburbs are not aware, careless, and incompetent. Downtown drivers are more aware, and more competent BUT more aggressive.

Not sure which is better, lower aggressiveness but low competence or higher competence higher aggressiveness.

Got to agree with this...been through there earlier this year...Brampton has really changed.
I was also told that their car insurance rates are higher than places in the 416.

Once again, we allow the problem to grow and get out of control.
Brampton will soon be it's own country.:D
Correction -- Brampton drivers were bad when I lived there 25 years ago too. Mind you, 25 years ago, I may have been part of the problem.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I commute from Niagara to Concord, I see crap drivers for the entire duration, it's not one specific area that is lousy.

Guys, question regarding motorcycle jackets:

Is leather the only way to go? I saw some "textile" bright green jackets in one store for $170.

Thoughts on these?
There are plenty of excellent textile jackets. Bright green is a good colour. Leather comes in black or disco.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

That's part of the issue. "I've paid my dues" . . . therefore, you owe me or I'm entitled now, and I never will or should have to go back. The big issue for Mass transit is time. Transferring from one thing to another takes time. Once you get two or three transfers, that really adds up. I suppose it's all good for those who live and work within a short walking distance of the Subway to some extent. TTC turned my 12 minute (8 km) car/motorcycle commute into over an hour. Of course when the Exhibition was on, the car/motorcycle took over an hour as well; just from the mass stupidity of all that traffic. At one point, I switched to bicycle which took 20-30 minutes when I was in shape. A TTC bus trying to make me part of a tunnel wall, changed my mind about that.

Entitled? LOL. Maybe if I were a Johnny-come-lately who had been driving/riding since 16, then had an epiphany fuelled by "green" marketing, then got upset by the inconvenience. I knew the limits and hassles of intermodal transport from the get-go, decades ago. Cycled from March to November, all times and weathers (2 hour round trip commute, as fast as the TTC, natch). Transit covered the winters. Lots of friends had cars, so I wasn't ignorant of the benefits of a private vehicle either. I figured contributing to the congestion wasn't going to help air quality and my money had other uses. Downtown in the 90s was only slightly less hopeless than today.

As the years wore on, it was pretty clear than the governments starved transit in every respect. Repairs, maintenance, expansion--it was all a cynical game of politics to them. It still is, as evidenced by Metrolinx and the bickering municipalities. They cared about superhighways and big business, not smog or quality of life. So how much was my time worth to our dear leaders? Less every day, as it turned out. Doubling travel times so leftist councillors could pray at the altar of the streetcar was a prime example of their contempt. Maybe, just maybe, I WAS entitled to lead a more productive, prosperous life that didn't involve planning my day around someone else's delays while interacting with rude, sullen employees and rude, sullen passengers. That was ages ago. Look at the current Bombardier boondoggle. The more things change...

Last edited:
I had a close call the other day. I was sitting at a red light and a little old lady almost rear-ended me. I might not even have noticed if the driver in the next lane hadn't pointed it out to me. I looked over my shoulder and her car was stopped close and snug behind my rear wheel.

I had a close call the other day. I was sitting at a red light and a little old lady almost rear-ended me. I might not even have noticed if the driver in the next lane hadn't pointed it out to me. I looked over my shoulder and her car was stopped close and snug behind my rear wheel.

I guess its a good idea to be in first sometimes, to have the capability to quickly get out of the way if needed.
Having said that, I drive a manual car and I am always in neutral when stopped at a light. Plenty of car behind me though, not the case on a bike.

There are plenty of excellent textile jackets. Bright green is a good colour. Leather comes in black or disco.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Yes, saw some decent ones for $170-$200. Will try to see if I can get some deals on used ones first.

Entitled? LOL. Maybe if I were a Johnny-come-lately who had been driving/riding since 16, then had an epiphany fuelled by "green" marketing, then got upset by the inconvenience. I knew the limits and hassles of intermodal transport from the get-go, decades ago. Cycled from March to November, all times and weathers (2 hour round trip commute, as fast as the TTC, natch). Transit covered the winters. Lots of friends had cars, so I wasn't ignorant of the benefits of a private vehicle either. I figured contributing to the congestion wasn't going to help air quality and my money had other uses. Downtown in the 90s was only slightly less hopeless than today.

As the years wore on, it was pretty clear than the governments starved transit in every respect. Repairs, maintenance, expansion--it was all a cynical game of politics to them. It still is, as evidenced by Metrolinx and the bickering municipalities. They cared about superhighways and big business, not smog or quality of life. So how much was my time worth to our dear leaders? Less every day, as it turned out. Doubling travel times so leftist councillors could pray at the altar of the streetcar was a prime example of their contempt. Maybe, just maybe, I WAS entitled to lead a more productive, prosperous life that didn't involve planning my day around someone else's delays while interacting with rude, sullen employees and rude, sullen passengers. That was ages ago. Look at the current Bombardier boondoggle. The more things change...

Good points, however, the 90's did not have as many cars and condos downtown. There are A LOT more condos down there and still more going up using the SAME streets and transit system from the 80's (guessing 80's, at least 90's).

The roads were built without any foresight...look at how the DVP ends by the 401... everyone comes to a halt in order to navigate those slow corners to get on to the 401. btw- streetcars are make work projects...Ottawa has wider streets and 1 way streets...why do they still run buses and not streetcars?

Having been rear ended in a car more than once before, it's a big concern for me on my bike. My routine at a stop, is to stay in first and watch my mirror for cars coming up the rear until one stops behind me. Until then, I visualize possible exits in front of me, like evasive lane splitting just in case.

Been doing it for almost 40 years. The invention of the cell phone was the worst thing to happen to riding in the past 100 years.

I figure one avoidable close call every other ride in Toronto traffic is about right (e.g.; someone switches lanes without noticing me). Keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel. Learn to read traffic patterns and watch for distracted drivers. Keep your position and makes sure others see you there. Furthermore, be aware of the crap road conditions in a lot of places- potholes and streetcar tracks can be nasty.

All this right here. I commute daily and I've found the biggest problem to be cars in the lane next to me trying to swerve into my lane when theirs is slowing down. Try to recognize when this could possibly happen and be prepared at all times. I often slow down and place a thumb over my horn, just in case. It's helped me avoid potentially dangerous situations a number of times.

Another thing to look out for is cabs. They are notorious for making three point turns on a whim, right in the middle of traffic.

Edit: Should add that I commute in Downtown Toronto

Last edited:
Guys, question regarding motorcycle jackets:

Is leather the only way to go? I saw some "textile" bright green jackets in one store for $170.

Thoughts on these?

Some riders will swear their allegiance to leather and only leather. "Leather = God Tier. Everything else = garbage."

I on the other hand own 3 types of jackets. Mesh (double padded, inner and outer), Textile/Kevlar and Leather.

Each has their own strengths you might want to consider. As long as there's CE Level 2 armour rating or higher you will be protected from impact damage, since ALL jackets containing armour will do shock absorption.

In terms of abrasive damage (Damage you will receive from slide and being dragged across the ground), and having your skin ripped off.

Mesh = Worst, just by looking at it you can tell it's going to rip open easily.
Textile/Kevlar/Cordura Ballistic Nylon = Good, my textile has 6 ventilation zippers, my leathers only has 2 vents.
Leather = Great

However, I would like to add that heat exhaustion is a ***** and leather feels very heavy and you will feel very fatigue. This is where the advantage of mesh would come in. It's lighter and very breathable. For a novice or newbie I say textile is fine since it's the middle ground, leather is better for overall protection.

Last edited:
Having been rear ended in a car more than once before, it's a big concern for me on my bike. My routine at a stop, is to stay in first and watch my mirror for cars coming up the rear until one stops behind me. Until then, I visualize possible exits in front of me, like evasive lane splitting just in case.

+1 same routine here

Haven't read the rest of the thread. But as a daily commuter from burbs to downtown core, short answer is yes.

Back
Top Bottom