How dangerous is riding in the GTA? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How dangerous is riding in the GTA?

Grew up downtown and I love going down to rip around the old hood kensington market, its gymkana style on the street car tracks lane split and filtermania usually push poor peeps on bycycles and major advantage knowing every single sidestreet and laneway in case quick getaway is needed. I dont give no one a chance or sniff cut in whatever.... for me being super agressive keeps me safe and besides why not join the party and ride like you own the road .

is this on a supermoto?? Either way we need to ride...that other dude's just a pussy.

Riding in a city will always be more dangerous than outside of it, due to the higher population density (meaning more cars on the road and more places to turn into and out of), plus reduced sight lines, and increase traffic. That said, if you ride conservatively and defensively, and keep an eye out for all those who don't even watch for themselves, it shouldn't be much more dangerous than driving a car. Still, the only time I can relax a little is when I get north of Port Perry, and you can actually enjoy the ride a bit more (although you need to watch more for animals, of course).

As for cheaper gear, if you don't mind used then check out Regear in Oshawa. Probably a better deal than most places. If you know exactly what you want, CanadaMotorcycle (online) is good too.

Not so sure about that. Do you have numbers to back up the claim? Motorcyclists will want to ride outside of the city, and traffic, therefore, that's where more of the aggressive riding would be.

Guys

Just got my M1 and in the process of buying a 1990 Honda VTR250.

Was hesitant about bikes for some time, since city traffic is pretty heavy, but thought I'd give it a try. Not planning to use it for commuting or anything like that.
I do have some minor riding experience, as I borrowed on a few occasions my brother's Rebel, and rode it without insurance or license, being careful though.

So the question, how safe or unsafe do you feel on Toronto streets, assuming defensive riding ?
Do you often encounter situations where drivers do not see you and merge into you?
Some advice for a novice perhaps?

And lastly, where can you get motorcycle gear at reasonable prices?

Thanks
go slow and keep your eyes moving and you will be fine,re gear in oshawa for gear.

Believe it or not guys, when you talk about congestion and road rage and the rest, you are not talking about Toronto or the GTA.
You are talking about every major metropolitan area in the world.
It has been anywhere from 30 to 50 years since new expressways have been built or existing ones have been expanded.
Frustration and rage are the result.
Population and the number of cars continue to increase, but the facilities for them to use remain the same.
Add to this the stupidity of not improving the infrastructure as an inducement to get people to use public transit instead of the car.
Want people to get out of their cars and into the bus or subway, cut the fare by 50%.

Want people to get out of their cars and into the bus or subway, cut the fare by 50%.

Cutting the fare by half is NOT the solution to getting more people to use transit. Having transit that is convenient is the solution. What difference does it make if it costs you $1.50 to travel on transit, but takes you 3hrs because you had to take a bus, subway, streetcar to get to your destination. Unless transit is convenient, and reaches your destination, doesn’tmatter how cheap it is because that extra $1.50 is more than enough to make up the time.

I’d love to take transit if I could…but car takes me 20min…and TTC takes me an hour. My 40min is worth more than $1.50.

Anyway that’s a major tangent…OP it’s not that bad if youkeep your wits and head about you. Re-gear is great I’m sure, but I’ve yet tofind something that I actually like there.

is this on a supermoto?? Either way we need to ride...that other dude's just a pussy.

Lol no not supermoto.... BTW you know me and have ridden together.... drivin or riding TO is best survived being bigger arsehat than everyone else and in most cases they will give ya more room cause of the unpredictability and if confrontational they be talking to my fumes. Come to think of it couple of manouvers on the highway at speed and that open all 4 lanes behind everyone watching show or worried about running over the roadkill LOL.

Whats up with this site the prim proper prissies rule the roost

Last edited:
I commute every day from Orangeville to Mississauga. 410 is the most terrifying part of the trip. Mississauga isn't much fun either, but manageable if you have your wits about you. If you ride in rush hour, especially on a Thursday or Friday afternoon, it can be a real challenge to avoid the impatient, inconsiderate psychopaths who will cut you off without warning. Biggest hazards for me:

--Left turners at intersections and boulevards with centre turning lanes.

--Cars pulling out from the right (from commercial parking lots, small sidestreets, gas stations, etc.)

--Cars cutting into my lane without warning. Several cut across two lanes at a time and if you're not aware of this practice you won't live long.

--The abject fear of some ditz slamming into by rear end while texting. It has happened to my friends. Can put you in the hospital real fast. Never stop directly behind someone's bumper, stop sort of to the side.

Had 2 cages turn left in front of me today.

Every time you leave your house, tell yourself today could be your last day on earth.

How ever you drive a car, increase your attentiveness and ability to anticipate movement by tenfold if you want to survive. I know that's vauge

I think the gta itself would be ok. The 400 series hwy imo is sucidial.

I'd rather ride an 8 lane highway packed to the tits with idiots driving in the (relatively) same direction than cross through an 8 lane intersection (4 N/S and E/W) with idoits pulling all types of wild **** with random side streets filled with people pulling in and out.

Worse case, if you're near the shoulder on a highway, you can confidently swerve on to it in an emergency stop/evasive maneuver without hitting an electrical pole, street sign, fire hydrant, pedestrian, fu c king watermelon stand or a bag of cats.

Not so sure about that. Do you have numbers to back up the claim? Motorcyclists will want to ride outside of the city, and traffic, therefore, that's where more of the aggressive riding would be.

Aggressive riding is up to the rider...they can choose to ride around the limit, or they can pretend to play MotoGP-rider and what happens happens. In the city, there are a lot more cars, intersections, plazas, etc for other vehicles to turn out of and cause an accident. I don't think anyone can debate riding around the limit in the Kawarthas and seeing maybe 20 cars in an hour is less dangerous than riding around the limit in the city and seeing 200 cars in 10 mins.

Cutting the fare by half is NOT the solution to getting more people to use transit. Having transit that is convenient is the solution. What difference does it make if it costs you $1.50 to travel on transit, but takes you 3hrs because you had to take a bus, subway, streetcar to get to your destination. Unless transit is convenient, and reaches your destination, doesn’tmatter how cheap it is because that extra $1.50 is more than enough to make up the time.

Hear, hear! I didn't give up my car to use transit, I BOUGHT a car to avoid it. Not going back, even if the fare is free. There's a reason TTC stands for Take The Car. It's an expression of contempt by Queen's Park and City council for the citizens of Toronto. Once they start taking things seriously, like actual "world class" cities do, then I'll consider it.

Depends. How much bicycle experience do you have?

-cross-thread-points-
You can't give yourself cross thread points. I'm issuing a penalty.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Hear, hear! I didn't give up my car to use transit, I BOUGHT a car to avoid it. Not going back, even if the fare is free. There's a reason TTC stands for Take The Car. It's an expression of contempt by Queen's Park and City council for the citizens of Toronto. Once they start taking things seriously, like actual "world class" cities do, then I'll consider it.

I believe John Tory said it not long ago that we have to stop this 1970's policy of forcing car drivers to take the TTC.
We have more cars now and time to change.
It was Tory that recently got the stop lights to sync so they can create a better traffic flow.

So think about that, since the 70's/80's this was a government policy to shaft the people that were paying the bill.

Also remember, most CITY Councillors live downtown (ish) so they don't drive.
It makes no sense why there aren't 1 way streets downtown. Shutdown Yonge/Dundas and make it a pedestrian zone except for TTC.
One way streets are safer for cyclists too.
Say what you want about Hamilton but those LARGE street signs are great and the 1 way streets are easy enough to deal with.
How many of you have been stuck because 1 car is making a left turn...waiting...another car is making a right turn....waiting for pedestrians to clear (which is endless)...now nobody is moving.

I don't think they want to solve the problem...so get out and ride your bikes on all the new multimillion dollar lanes they created.

I commuted from the Beach to downtown for 2 years. Put on about 10k km in and around the GTA. I've since moved to Vancouver and only now do I realize how challenging riding downtown TO was. The above poster estimated close calls every second time on the bike. That sounds right to me.

It's MUCH easier in Vancouver. Between the psychotic TO taxis and the crazy aggression on the roads in TO it's not a pleasant experience. Not that you shouldn't anywhere, but if you're not paying attention in TO you'll crash due to people cutting you off, running the red right into you when you're stopping for the yellow, turning left in front of you because they don't want to wait another light cycle. It's a nasty place to ride, but I thought it was fine when I was there. Only now do I realize how unnecessarily stressful it was

Back
Top Bottom