How dangerous is riding in the GTA? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How dangerous is riding in the GTA?

zheka130

Guys

Just got my M1 and in the process of buying a 1990 Honda VTR250.

Was hesitant about bikes for some time, since city traffic is pretty heavy, but thought I'd give it a try. Not planning to use it for commuting or anything like that.
I do have some minor riding experience, as I borrowed on a few occasions my brother's Rebel, and rode it without insurance or license, being careful though.

So the question, how safe or unsafe do you feel on Toronto streets, assuming defensive riding ?
Do you often encounter situations where drivers do not see you and merge into you?
Some advice for a novice perhaps?

And lastly, where can you get motorcycle gear at reasonable prices?

Thanks

If you observe bad driving while you yourself are driving a car, its magnified tenfold when you are on a bike.

Ride with the mentality that all cars are trying to kill you and you'll be fine for the most part.

"I do have some minor riding experience, as I borrowed on a few occasions my brother's Rebel, and rode it without insurance or license, being careful though."

Making decisions like that will make riding in Toronto an interesting experience.

At least you are getting a licence and insured now. As for GTA being safe to ride...been doing it for close to 3 decades.

I'd rather kill myself then ride in the Toronto area.
Toronto drivers + pedestrians + bicyclists = Serious Rage and frustration.

Everyone there acts like they own the road and are oblivious to what's around them.

That's why I never drive into Toronto if I don't have to.

I'm a pretty new rider and I've only driven in the GTA. I don't think it's so bad, but I can't compare otherwise... some tips:
- pay close attention at intersections, particularly left turners from oncoming traffic
- avoid blindspots like the plague
- stick to lane blocking positions as recommended in the manual as best as possible
- master control of your bike as much and as soon as possible, so you can focus your attention on traffic, not on your bike

hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.
Also, I do plan to take the safety course pretty soon, that should help, somewhat.

You didn't mention taking a Motorcycle Training Course (M1-exit). Highly recommended.

You have to be riding with your 'A-game' ALL the time. Situational awareness.

Look for hazards such as stale green lights at intersections, opposing cars waiting to turn left in front of you, adjacent lanes slowing where a car may change in-front/in-to you, stopping at a red and traffic coming up behind fast. Consider evasive actions for these situations before they arise. If you have practiced as DoctorT mentions above, you can avoid if the threat becomes real.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Also, I do plan to take the safety course pretty soon, that should help, somewhat.

Guy

Safety course is good and it wouldn't hurt, pun intended, to take first aid as well. You could lose a limb or ride 3 decades with nary a scratch. Nobody knows.
I would be remiss if I didn't council the practice of tuck and roll in the correct circumstances. Use visualization techniques to achieve your goal, there are no dry runs.

Last edited:
How many close calls do you have when youre driving? If you have like 4 or 5 a week you are gonna be in for a bad time. I find people who say driving in the city is dangerous are terrible drivers, 0 awareness. If you arent paying attention while riding you are gonna get crunched. I can count the number of close calls I've had in 10 years on one hand, ones that werent caused by my own stupidity at least.

Stay out of the suburbs. Scarborough, markham, brampton, rexdale, mississauga, those are all **** places to ride. Either go far outside the city or stick to the core.

Last edited:
Been doing it for almost 40 years. The invention of the cell phone was the worst thing to happen to riding in the past 100 years.

I figure one avoidable close call every other ride in Toronto traffic is about right (e.g.; someone switches lanes without noticing me). Keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel. Learn to read traffic patterns and watch for distracted drivers. Keep your position and makes sure others see you there. Furthermore, be aware of the crap road conditions in a lot of places- potholes and streetcar tracks can be nasty.

Been doing it for almost 40 years. The invention of the cell phone was the worst thing to happen to riding in the past 100 years.

Hear hear, no pun intended, the cell phone was a major point of contention right here at GTAM a scant few years ago. I'm glad most people recognize the destructive force that it is, improperly used.

I'd rather kill myself then ride in the Toronto area.
Toronto drivers + pedestrians + bicyclists = Serious Rage and frustration.

Everyone there acts like they own the road and are oblivious to what's around them.

That's why I never drive into Toronto if I don't have to.

Grew up downtown and I love going down to rip around the old hood kensington market, its gymkana style on the street car tracks lane split and filtermania usually push poor peeps on bycycles and major advantage knowing every single sidestreet and laneway in case quick getaway is needed. I dont give no one a chance or sniff cut in whatever.... for me being super agressive keeps me safe and besides why not join the party and ride like you own the road .

I'm a pretty new rider and I've only driven in the GTA. I don't think it's so bad, but I can't compare otherwise... some tips:
- pay close attention at intersections, particularly left turners from oncoming traffic
- avoid blindspots like the plague
- stick to lane blocking positions as recommended in the manual as best as possible
- master control of your bike as much and as soon as possible, so you can focus your attention on traffic, not on your bike

hope that helps

+1

It also it is helpful to install a loud horn. If you're observant, you'll spot people doing stupid things like left turns, pulling out from driveways, shifting to your lane, etc, just as they are about to start. Be prepared to take evasive maneuvers, but a quick blast of a loud horn usually stops them in their tracks.

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/stebe...cycle-air-horn-12-volt-139-db-black-or-chrome

Not very. Parts of the 905 region are a lot worse. It doesn't start to taper off until you pass Kingston. Many "accidents" are single vehicle. But there are definitely dangerous sections of road. Worst place I've seen was going from Lakeshore east to British Columbia; lots of cars trying to turn from the straight through lane and squeeze in.

Riding in a city will always be more dangerous than outside of it, due to the higher population density (meaning more cars on the road and more places to turn into and out of), plus reduced sight lines, and increase traffic. That said, if you ride conservatively and defensively, and keep an eye out for all those who don't even watch for themselves, it shouldn't be much more dangerous than driving a car. Still, the only time I can relax a little is when I get north of Port Perry, and you can actually enjoy the ride a bit more (although you need to watch more for animals, of course).

As for cheaper gear, if you don't mind used then check out Regear in Oshawa. Probably a better deal than most places. If you know exactly what you want, CanadaMotorcycle (online) is good too.

I find riding downtown extremely safe. The horror show in your mirrors is way less intimidating than when riding in the burbs.

Yes, you may get hurt but you likely won't perish on the spot if you get t-boned at an intersection since the speeds are a lot lower and stopping distances way shorter. Of course you need absolute control over your steed and more importantly, yourself. Otherwise, it won't be safe riding anywhere.

There are certain advantages in the mental game

Off the top of my head...
- pretension front brake, clutch and rear brake
- ride in a lower gear than normal *** ahem hypermilers***
- have as many fingers as possible on the bars to steer
- slow down as needed when traversing or approaching an adjacent blind zone
- leave a nice bubble in front of you so you can shotgun out of this defensive hole if need be and so you can brake less aggressively for those who ride all year round
- coach the cars/trucks behind you by being predictable and smooth with your inputs. use your lead cushion effectively. same way you might coach cars when you driving a very expensive car that you don't want people to rear end.

How quick are you? Train with sports that improve hand / eye / leg coordination or play video games lol.

I also recommend falling many times off a bicycle to learn how to break fall. DH or riding on ice is a good way as you'll naturally crash. Sadly not many are willing to perfect their craft in this manner.

I thinking riding in the city is not all that difficult if you keep your wits about you and continually stay aware of the situation around you. Siuational Awareness is key to a successful riding career as well as life.

As for gear...kijiji is your friend.

I ride downtown just about every day. The average driver is mostly aware and courteous. Biggest source of danger is those overzealous cab drivers. Not a week goes by where I don't get into a mild verbal altercation with an aggressive cabbie.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to look several cars ahead of you and not take any intersection for granted.

It's really not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom