Rev match, clutch wear question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rev match, clutch wear question

stevenleung0000

I am just wondering, does rev matching reduce a lot of clutch wear?
I have been practicing rev matching for a while now, and still can't do it right every time.
If I slowly let out the clutch every time I downshift, is it going to wear out the clutch very fast? (I am not saying I will ride the clutch for a long time, just release it slow enough to make the bike not jerky).
Do motorcycle manufactures expect the rider to rev match when operating one? Or the clutch is actually perfectly fine too be used without rev matching?
Thx!

yes, not matching revs causes wear to some degree. not the end of the world wear. keep practicing and don't give up on it, it will eventually jell for you.

and yes, manufacturers expect you to match the revs, but they also realize it doesn't always happen. using two fingers on the brake instead of four will help -this allows you to brake and blip at the same time.

EDIT:guys who drive manual cars in a sporting manner will even brake with the ball of their foot and use their heel to blip the throttle at the same time. takes practice.

Last edited:
You will definitely learn how to do it, it's way easier than it is on a car. Once you do, you won't be able to not rev match

My Ducati Scrambler manual says to rev match (throttle blip) on downshifts even though it has a slipper clutch. I agree with others, it is easier than a car because the tricky actions are in your hands not feet.

I don't understand why you guys blip throttle. You can match the speed of the engine with the wheels of 2 ways. Speed the motor to match the wheels or slow down the wheels to match the engine

The point is to get engine RPM matched to the lower gear ratio before you release the clutch. When you down shift and blip, the revs go up so that when you drop a gear the revs match what speed the lower gear needs to be at. Disengaging the clutch as you blip gives it a buffer.

I don't understand why you guys blip throttle. You can match the speed of the engine with the wheels of 2 ways. Speed the motor to match the wheels or slow down the wheels to match the engine
How do you speed up the motor without blipping the throttle?

Dump the clutch.

Because we know how to work a manual transmission? How are you going to get the wheels slow enough while downshifting with the clutch pulled in?

My bad, let me rephrase that. I normally just hit the brakes; drop a gear then dump the clutch. Always in the correct rpm this way

So, you're in a decreasing radius turn, revs are dropping and you are leaned over pretty far.

You aren't going to rev match???

Dumping the clutch is bad form, and it will upset the bike pretty badly when leaned over.

So, you're in a decreasing radius turn, revs are dropping and you are leaned over pretty far.

You aren't going to rev match???

Dumping the clutch is bad form, and it will upset the bike pretty badly when leaned over.
Who would do anything while leaned over? You won't rev match while leaned over, right?

Yes? The advice "Dont do X in corners" is to prevent beginners from wiping out when they lock up their wheels. If you need to shift, you shift. If you need to brake, you brake.

Slipping the clutch on downshift until you get a hand at it will have little impact on a wet clutch. Wet clutches take lots of abuse even surviving the idiots that ride at 10 mph and slip the clutch with motor bouncing off the rev limiter and burnouts.

Who would do anything while leaned over? You won't rev match while leaned over, right?
Sure would. Many times its necessary.

We should ride sometime. Not going to fault you for anything. I've been riding for 16 years. Teaching m1x for 10. I still learn. Its all about being smooth, shifting or braking mid corner.

I'll probably be doing ShaneKingsley's ride on Sept. 3rd.

Sure would. Many times its necessary.

We should ride sometime. Not going to fault you for anything. I've been riding for 16 years. Teaching m1x for 10. I still learn. Its all about being smooth, shifting or braking mid corner.

I'll probably be doing ShaneKingsley's ride on Sept. 3rd.
Hopefully see you there.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Revmatching (ie blipping) on downshifts is cheap insurance against the rear wheel breaking traction, which well all know on a motorcyle can go bad quickly.

I'm not saying the loss of rear wheel traction is going to happen every time if you don't match on downshifts, but it certainly increases the chance...and a particularly agressive downshift (or on a slippery surface) as might be common for beginner rider to do certainly increases the odds, so accordingly learning how to revmatch is a good skill to have IMHO.

I like to show off great rev matches with my loud exhaust
I look down upon those that don't with their fancy $x,xxx exhausts.

I'm a bad person.

Back
Top Bottom