What kind of gas you guys use? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What kind of gas you guys use?

JollyGreenGiant

Apologize first if question had been asked before, it's just that nothing came up when I use search.

What I heard from friendly riders all around and after some research, use what is recommended on the bike's manual. Most people also say stick with 91 octane and above.

I have been using 91 octane gasoline in my bike since the day I had it, however, I generally try to go to Shell gas stations for their 91 octane (V-Power +) type, as it has no ETHANOL.

My question is:

- does it hurt the bike with 89 or 90 octane in general (as in performance degrading, doesn't run clean, etc...)

- does it really matter that much whether the gasoline contains ethanol? as some people has pointed out that even with 91 octane at most gas stations, it still contains ethanol (Petro, Pioneer, Husky, Esso, Canadian Tire) all EXCEPT Shell.

- I have seen 94 octane at some stations before but forgot which one, now is 94 octane runs even cleaner than 91 and contains no ethanol? Should I just stick with 91 as 94 is a waste of money?

- to all riders who frequently fill up their tanks, what's your opinions on this subject?

Petroleum naptha Whatever my owner's manual says. You have an owner's manual, don't you? b.t.w. This question has been asked many times before. Try a good search.

Ethanol won't hurt for daily use, no ethanol is better for storage. There is no ethanol in can tire, ultramar or esso premium gas. Petro 94 has ethanol and is a waste of money.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Intestinal gas.

Manual states regular so for me 87 or 89. However for storage I use the 91/92 due to extended period.

depends on the bike you bought and its age,
Ducati with 2000-2006 plastic bladder tanks= bad idea
Any Norton or Penton with fiberglass tank=bad idea
Any 1995-2006 retrofit tank like the BMW or KLR extended range = bad idea

winter storage of any bike or snowblower summer storage= bad idea

just looking in the manual doesnt always help, it took a few years for people to know how bad ethanol was in certain situations.

Peach schnapps or if I'm feeling a bit like a baller Goldschlager...I like blowing gold flakes out my exhaust pipe. And no, that's not a euphemism for something.

Just remember 87 pump octane is 91 RON. Read the manual and use what it states. Anything more is a waste of $$$.

Manual states regular so for me 87 or 89. However for storage I use the 91/92 due to extended period.
This

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I'll only ever run 91 or above in my bikes. Unless of course that isn't available.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

In short:

- Use whatever grade your manual recommends. Using a higher octane than needed does nothing for the bike.
- All modern bikes to my knowledge handle up to about 10% ethanol fine. That said, no ethanol is better than some ethanol. Also I would only use ethanol free gas when storing for winter (so Shell 91).
- As far as I know, any gas grade above 91 gets there via using more ethanol. Even most 91 uses it, with the exception of Shell, and I believe some Ultramar and Canadian Tire locations.

thanks so much for all the replies gentlemen, my bike did state 91+ octane and the damn Shell station is a bit out of my way from home, but hell with it, the things I do for this bike.

Last edited:
thanks so much for all the replies gentlemen, my bike did state 91+ octane and the damn Shell station is a bit out of my way from home, but hell with it, the things I do for this bike.
Yeah if it states 91 you should run that as a minimum. Sport bikes requiring a higher octane don't respond well to low octane fuel. It'll run like garbage

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom