Highway 533 out of Matawa | GTAMotorcycle.com

Highway 533 out of Matawa

The Last Boyscout

Site Supporter
Doing a small trip the first week of Sept. Once I hit Pembroke was going to shoot across 17. I fell upon some info about highway 533 out of Matawa that winds though the Laurentians to 63 then to Northbay. Was wondering if anyone has been through it lately. how rough it was getting?

Last edited:
There are a number of very good rides off Hwy. 17 north of Ottawa.
Going east from Deep River and Chalk River there are cottage and farm roads that will take you to the Ottawa River.
Going west from Chalk River, there are roads and trails that go all the way to Algonquin Park.
Some are paved but most are gravel and dirt.

Sorry, but I haven't done the route you are describing.
It sounds interesting though.
I believe that 533 was the highway they built back in the 1930s for the tourists wishing to visit the Dionne Quints.

Last edited:
its been a good 5 or more years since i've been on 533. if they haven't repaved it since.. look out. it'll batter the suspension of a street bike if you aren't cautious. it would be best to do on a dual sport. further reason to take slow care are the many tight corners where you can expect to see logging trucks using 3/4 of the hwy just to make the super tight corners. Regretted riding my sportbike on it. it can be done but its a slow very bumpy ride.

edit: few nice trout lakes along 533 where you might find a spot to camp (free). catch pickerel in mattawa off the dock. catching trout in the hwy 533 lakes is more difficult.

or get on hwy 63 towards quebec, just before the quebec border where you cross over the ottawa river you can also catch pickerel right off the bridge (just below the dam). you can also camp free. there are also some even nicer camping spots along the ottawa river, downstream from the bridge /dam (different spots for a few kms - you can see them from 63). the town of timiscaming quebec is 3 minutes from the bridge / dam. hwy 63 is a nice ride from n.bay (about an hour from dam/bridge). are you in the bush on hwy 63? seen deer, moose, a holy grail lynx, and the holy grail of holy grails - an eastern cougar - all off hwy 63, YEAH BABY I can't stop smiling thinkin about it.

I've seen two lynx in my life, the previously mentioned one, and another outside elliot lake. some old timers told me a trapper could spend half their life in the bush and never see a live lynx.

Last edited:
As I do more and more research it's looking to be a descent run. Roads may not be in perfect shape and may be a little rough in spots but shouldn't be too bad. More than likey will add HwY101 though Quebec to the run then south back to North Bay.

Last edited:
I was on 533 a couple of times last year road was decent a few gravel section and lots of pot holes but a good ride if you like the wilderness

Rode it today and it's been repaved in the rough corner sections. Much better than years past. Beware of loose gravel from the shoulder making its way onto some of the tighter turns.

Back
Top Bottom