Shell Gas Station Policy | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shell Gas Station Policy

Technically, for stores to offer Interac service, they need to have cameras on the POS machine to identify people in cause of fraud, they need to be able to review camera footage to see the person who made the purchase.

Technically a pump that accepts payments is an interac service, and no rider I know, including myself, removes their helmet when fueling and paying at the pump. Same thing with a bank machine in the lobby of a bank. I never remove my helmet and never have had an issue, even if the bank was open and there were tellers inside.

Not sure, I would want to "test" it out when the cop shows up that I was told to leave so I left without paying. So that is why I left, without paying. It would certainly be a he said, she said scenario, which would likely go in favor of the station attendant.

Just leave the cash on the counter and go, snap a pic of course.
Their camera's can see the cash on the counter therefore you paid and no cops will show up at your house.
Leaving without paying could be considered theft if they wanted to make a point against you.

I get the concern about security re a helmet; if some dude walked in wearing this, I bet she'd **** bricks too:

Balaclava_3_hole_black.jpg
\

Who knows how many times she's been robbed or threatened? People who work in that line of business are subjected to a lot of **** from ****** people. I remember 30-odd years ago working at gas stations as a kid and how much crap I got. Society -- and people -- have only gotten worse with time.

Having said that, the apparent blind acceptance of someone wearing a niqab is just asking for trouble:

Male or female? Robber or devout Muslim female? Who knows?

_69959607_veil_pic.jpg

All it will take is for her to be robbed by some thug wearing a niqab to get the business to change its policy...

They are the method used to enact the muslim direction that women should dress modestly and cover the face and hair when in public.

How you cant see that as being due to/related to religion is beyond me.

i got into the argument with my gf a few months ago. I was saying there should be no religious exceptions to rules like this and she was saying, why not, it doesn't hurt anyone to allow them to wear burkas. Well if a burka doesn't hurt anyone then any other headgear doesn't hurt anyone so it should all be acceptable. In this case if they have a rule about covering your face from the camera it should either apply to everyone or to no one. Just my opinion but i'm entirely non-religious and the customs and rules make no sense to me for any religion.

Exactly.

is was changed to allow it......it won't be changed back....so you wanting it changed won't happen....

Why? Once enough people are fed up with this religious pandering BS things can and will change.

Last edited:
Not sure, I would want to "test" it out when the cop shows up that I was told to leave so I left without paying. So that is why I left, without paying. It would certainly be a he said, she said scenario, which would likely go in favor of the station attendant.

Cops typically don't lay charges for the majority of gas and dashes. They show up to the person's home and tell them to go back and pay.

I got into the argument with my gf a few months ago. I was saying there should be no religious exceptions to rules like this and she was saying, why not, it doesn't hurt anyone to allow them to wear burkas. Well if a burka doesn't hurt anyone then any other headgear doesn't hurt anyone so it should all be acceptable. In this case if they have a rule about covering your face from the camera it should either apply to everyone or to no one. Just my opinion but I'm entirely non-religious and the customs and rules make no sense to me for any religion.

You know, this comment just reminded how young urban kids used to get harassed in the 90's. The theory was that loose fitting baggy clothing used to conceal weapons and contraband. Funny how it wasn't hurting anyone, but authority figures hated it. But now with "religious outfits" that can and have been used to conceal weapons and perform terrorist activities in other countries......it's ok.

Mind you the kids these days wear their pants so tight they can barely walk.

Times sure do change.

To backtrack a little bit, aren't all pumps pretty much pre-pay nowadays anyway?
*most* have it, however the bulk of a gas stations profit lies in the sales in store. There are many incentives to get people to spend their money there. I exclusively buy my lotto tickets at Petro Canada -- petro points + gas savings.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

you used to go grocery shopping and make stops at the LCBO with your FF on? Hell, I have an open face and remove it if I'm spending more than 30s in a place.
""

I definitely don't take it off in the LCBO. Need two hands for all my cans and boozes (probably need 3). Generally speaking, I leave mine on. It's a pain in the *** taking eye glasses on and off, gloves etc and carrying other goods with a helmet in my hands.

I've had boarder guards, while coming in to Canada tell me I don't need to take it off. Mind you, the Bell Bullitt has a pretty large hold and my face is visible enough if I flip up my tinted visor.

""

I definitely don't take it off in the LCBO. Need two hands for all my cans and boozes (probably need 3). Generally speaking, I leave mine on. It's a pain in the *** taking eye glasses on and off, gloves etc and carrying other goods with a helmet in my hands.

I've had boarder guards, while coming in to Canada tell me I don't need to take it off. Mind you, the Bell Bullitt has a pretty large hold and my face is visible enough if I flip up my tinted visor.
I've also shopped at the LCBO in my FF.

Never had anyone tell me to take my helmet off, though rarely do I ever actually go inside. I would think Shell has pay at the pump everywhere, simplest and easiest solution. If someone did ask me to do it, I would just remove my helmet, pay and leave. Not worth an argument or debate. Not a public place, they can have any policies they want.

+1. I almost always use Shell (unless I'm on a group ride or up north where stations are far and few), and always leave my helmet on, but then I pay at the pump. If I do go in the store, it is normally just to use the washroom.

That said, I've never been asked to remove my helmet before when I do have to go in and pay. Last two places that were ok with it that come to mind is Flynn's at the 507 (wish they had pay at pump though...would be faster), and one station in Bobcaygeon (I believe it's an Esso). If I am going into a place to shop, then I'd take it off...but if I am just going in as it is the only way to pass for gas then go, I typically won't unless I have to.

End of the day though, if that station has an issue with helmets, I'd take it off that one time, pay, then never fill up there again, as they just lost a customer. If all Shells did it...then I'd have to decide what I want to do (as I still believe their gas is better than some other brands, especially their 91).

Last edited:
you used to go grocery shopping and make stops at the LCBO with your FF on? Hell, I have an open face and remove it if I'm spending more than 30s in a place.

Aye iz hardcore, yo! They were quick stops, not push the buggy around stops. The routine was: open visor, take out sunglasses (into case), take off helmet (onto helmet lock), pop out earplugs (into container), then put on reading glasses. Major nuisance especially if I needed to hit a few places in the same trip, reversing the process when it came time to leave. Fortunately, I'm not badass enough to worry anyone to begin with, never mind while wearing gear that resembles a dirty, mismatched clown outfit.

Last edited:
I'm kinda tempted to try.

I live local, I have the boobs, could fake the head thing and gear. Someone lend me a street legal bike?

Interesting conundrum.

Back
Top Bottom