Shell Gas Station Policy | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shell Gas Station Policy

There's a Shell I go to near my place that I go to regularly, and I feel like I've walked in a couple of times with my helmet on without any issues. So I guess it just depends on the employee?

Not sure, I would want to "test" it out when the cop shows up that I was told to leave so I left without paying. So that is why I left, without paying. It would certainly be a he said, she said scenario, which would likely go in favor of the station attendant.

Wouldn't it be easy enough to check the store cameras to verify you were indeed refused service (more like refused to be allowed to pay)?

There's a Shell I go to near my place that I go to regularly, and I feel like I've walked in a couple of times with my helmet on without any issues. So I guess it just depends on the employee?

Business owners do get to know their customers.

next time wear a hijab under your helmet. No disrespect intended.

Last edited:
I am well aware of the difference between a Burka and a Hijab. I used the term "head wear' in a generic sense. But it is obvious you missed the entire point, The Hijab and Burka are both protected under religious freedom sections of the Charter, a Helmet is not. Hence they can ask that you remove your helmet, whereas they can not ask a person to remove a Burka or Hijab. Just as a person, (which I don't agree with may wear a Burka when being photographed for the drivers licence, you can not wear a helmet).

Which is why the OP making mention of the woman not being asked to remove her Burka, is not applicable, one is protected under law the other isn't. A shop owner can refuse to provide you service if your wearing a helmet, they can not refuse someone wearing a Burka, (without a media crap storm and even a visit from a human rights investigator)..lol

In the end as I said to the OP, it their choice to remove the helmet or give his business to a station without the policy. In the end it takes all of perhaps 2 minutes to remove and put the helmet back on, for me not a huge stumbling block.

With all due respect hedo,, it wasn't simply "headwear" as you put it, that would've been referred to as a hijab.

The burka is a face covering, and whether it's a gangsta in a dark hoodie or a hooligan hiding behind a FF, anyone covering their face must be scrutinized and treated the same.

I'd tell them to F@#K OFF!!!! F@$KING hypocrites.....

The Hijab and Burka are both protected under religious freedom sections of the Charter

This is B%LL$H!T and needs to be changed....

it was changed, to allow them to wear them........

What part of "this needs to be changed" so they arent protected was hard to understand? They can shove their religious BS up their arse.

Sure if the camera had audio, (most security cameras don't), The clerk could simply say I told him/her to remove their helmet, they refused and left without paying. Hard to prove what you actually said without audio. We are getting way off topic, the OP didn't say at any point the clerk refused to accept his payment. Just my personal opinion, I obtained a service or product, I am legally required to pay for the service or product. I can't envision any scenario where a clerk would say, "If you don't remove your helmet I am refusing to accept your payment"..lol

Perhaps, if it is a corporate policy then the best option for the corporation is to simply refuse to turn on a pump, (for in store payments), until the rider has removed their helmet, (if paying outside the attendant already knows this).

Wouldn't it be easy enough to check the store cameras to verify you were indeed refused service (more like refused to be allowed to pay)?

Never had anyone tell me to take my helmet off, though rarely do I ever actually go inside. I would think Shell has pay at the pump everywhere, simplest and easiest solution. If someone did ask me to do it, I would just remove my helmet, pay and leave. Not worth an argument or debate. Not a public place, they can have any policies they want.

In some countries (NZ/Aust) they have stickers on doors at the banks/gas stations with a "No Helmet" sign

but like many, Ive been doing this for years here. Shell, Esso, Interdependent etc. Often those if its a rest stop/gas fill up I'll take it off anyway.. if asked , I would take it off too.

Would be funny if you took it off and had a burka underneath...

To backtrack a little bit, aren't all pumps pretty much pre-pay nowadays anyway?

Due to recurring incidents of credit card fraud at gas stations a number of years ago, I now always pay cash for gas. I've never been asked to remove my helmet, but I always make a point of digging out my money at the pump and having it plainly visible in my hand when I approach the cashier. They don't care about the helmet if you're obviously trying to pay.

Never had an issue walking into a gas station to pay with the helmet on. Typically pay outside but sometimes the pump card readers don't work so haven't actually thought of it. Also plenty of times I go to Tim's on the way to work but keep the helmet on when there's no lineup as it's a bit faster, and the employees know me that I'm there every morning at 5:15am...

However when I forgot the helmet on and just walked into a bank...security was a bit more visible until I took it off. Oops.

In the end, their store and property, so they can ask you to remove the helmet. I have no issue with removing the helmet if needed.

Why is a burka protected under law, but a helmet isn't? Can we not all agree motorcycling is a religion too?

I've never been asked to remove my helmet. I use a local Shell station regularly too. If they asked politely I would probably do it. But really, what are they gonna do if you don't... NOT take your money? lol

I have never been asked to remove my helmet in a gas station, grocery store, mall, bank, hardware store, or anywhere. I've also never been asked to get off my bike while fuelling. That said, I occasionally remove the helmet depending on how quick of a trip I am doing but usually at the bank and gas station it is a very quick visit and I don't remove it. I rarely fuel while on the bike. I do get funny looks sometimes.

Last edited:
The burka and hijab are not necessarily deemed "religious" garments.
They are the method used to enact the muslim direction that women should dress modestly and cover the face and hair when in public.
If they all decided to wear buckets with eye holes its not like a bucket would now be a religious item.
I say if you don't like a businesses policies or practices then spend your money elsewhere.

Why is a burka protected under law, but a helmet isn't? Can we not all agree motorcycling is a religion too?

I got into the argument with my gf a few months ago. I was saying there should be no religious exceptions to rules like this and she was saying, why not, it doesn't hurt anyone to allow them to wear burkas. Well if a burka doesn't hurt anyone then any other headgear doesn't hurt anyone so it should all be acceptable. In this case if they have a rule about covering your face from the camera it should either apply to everyone or to no one. Just my opinion but I'm entirely non-religious and the customs and rules make no sense to me for any religion.

I am well aware of the difference between a Burka and a Hijab. I used the term "head wear' in a generic sense. But it is obvious you missed the entire point, The Hijab and Burka are both protected under religious freedom sections of the Charter, a Helmet is not. Hence they can ask that you remove your helmet, whereas they can not ask a person to remove a Burka or Hijab. Just as a person, (which I don't agree with may wear a Burka when being photographed for the drivers licence, you can not wear a helmet).

Which is why the OP making mention of the woman not being asked to remove her Burka, is not applicable, one is protected under law the other isn't. A shop owner can refuse to provide you service if your wearing a helmet, they can not refuse someone wearing a Burka, (without a media crap storm and even a visit from a human rights investigator)..lol

In the end as I said to the OP, it their choice to remove the helmet or give his business to a station without the policy. In the end it takes all of perhaps 2 minutes to remove and put the helmet back on, for me not a huge stumbling block.
As proven, law does not always equal right...so maybe a change in law is what's needed.

Back
Top Bottom