Shell Gas Station Policy | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shell Gas Station Policy

giddyup

I stopped at a Shell gas station today...Thickson and Taunton in Whitby.
After fueling my bike I went in to pay and was told by middle eastern woman that I MUST remove my helmet before coming in.
I asked why and was told it is a security risk.
My face needs to be identifiable for security cameras. Even though they have my bike and license plate on video.
I did not remove my helmet, paid and left.
While I was getting back on my bike I witness a Muslim woman with a birka get gas and go to pay without removing the birka.
I contacted Shell head office and was told this is a policy.
Interested to hear your thoughts on this?

Was told the same thing ages ago about helmet removal. I have a modular helmet now, so I can just lift the front open to show my face without actually having to take off my helmet, so they don't really hassle or say anything to me at this point. Gas station robberies are really common, so I'm not surprised they would want something like this enforced. I think it's policy everywhere, doubt you can stroll into a mall wearing your full-face either and definitely can't walk into a bank.

Never had anyone tell me to take my helmet off, though rarely do I ever actually go inside. I would think Shell has pay at the pump everywhere, simplest and easiest solution. If someone did ask me to do it, I would just remove my helmet, pay and leave. Not worth an argument or debate. Not a public place, they can have any policies they want.

It is policy at most gas stations, hell, at most businesses, that you need to have your face visible if you want service. Whether they choose to enforce it or not is up to them. Think of it like the "No shirt, no shoes, no service" policy. If you dont like it, go somewhere else.

Was told the same thing ages ago about helmet removal. I have a modular helmet now, so I can just lift the front open to show my face without actually having to take off my helmet, so they don't really hassle or say anything to me at this point. Gas station robberies are really common, so I'm not surprised they would want something like this enforced. I think it's policy everywhere, doubt you can stroll into a mall wearing your full-face either and definitely can't walk into a bank.

Gas station policy varies from place to place in the GTA. I think Shell and Petro Canada enforce it, Esso doesn't in my neighbourhood. Can't blame them, considering the amount of theft that led to this point. Never had a problem shopping at the LCBO/Groceries with my FF helmet. Used ATMs inside open banks before too. Took it off to deal with the tellers out of courtesy. Eventually moved to a modular helmet and I love it. Much more civilized.

are you paying cash?

Never had anyone tell me to take my helmet off, though rarely do I ever actually go inside. I would think Shell has pay at the pump everywhere, simplest and easiest solution. If someone did ask me to do it, I would just remove my helmet, pay and leave. Not worth an argument or debate. Not a public place, they can have any policies they want.

Agreed on both points.

Gas station policy varies from place to place in the GTA. I think Shell and Petro Canada enforce it, Esso doesn't in my neighbourhood. Can't blame them, considering the amount of theft that led to this point. Never had a problem shopping at the LCBO/Groceries with my FF helmet. Used ATMs inside open banks before too. Took it off to deal with the tellers out of courtesy. Eventually moved to a modular helmet and I love it. Much more civilized.
you used to go grocery shopping and make stops at the LCBO with your FF on? Hell, I have an open face and remove it if I'm spending more than 30s in a place.

Simple solution as Wingboy said pay outside, if you don't/can't do that then buy your gas at a "helmet friendly" station. I once was told by an attendant he wouldn't urn on pump until I got off the bike. I get it they likely thought I was going to gas and dash, so I got off bike, not a huge issue.

It is a privately run, (likely franchisee), they can institute any policy they wish, (as long as it doesn't contravene any laws etc), which is why the lady in the Burka wasn't asked to remove her head wear, as that would have violated the charter of rights and freedoms, on religious grounds. No such protection for helmets.

Never had an issue with my modular flipped up at Petro. OP, I'm assuming visor was up? I don't have an issue with the policy, as it makes sense, however, for it to be a policy it MUST be posted. I have never seen that posted.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

With all due respect hedo,, it wasn't simply "headwear" as you put it, that would've been referred to as a hijab.

The burka is a face covering, and whether it's a gangsta in a dark hoodie or a hooligan hiding behind a FF, anyone covering their face must be scrutinized and treated the same.

Simple solution as Wingboy said pay outside, if you don't/can't do that then buy your gas at a "helmet friendly" station. I once was told by an attendant he wouldn't urn on pump until I got off the bike. I get it they likely thought I was going to gas and dash, so I got off bike, not a huge issue.

It is a privately run, (likely franchisee), they can institute any policy they wish, (as long as it doesn't contravene any laws etc), which is why the lady in the Burka wasn't asked to remove her head wear, as that would have violated the charter of rights and freedoms, on religious grounds. No such protection for helmets.

They want you off the bike in case of a fire or some sort of mishap, so that you can get away quickly from the harm

I don't like it either, because the angle of the bike makes it so I don't get a completely full tank of gas, but I am sure that little bit is not going to make that much of a difference, or once your at the top and you want that little bit more, get back on bike, get it straight up, finish filling, and go pay and or complete your transaction at the pump

Last edited:
Most likely a Safety concern, should you spill gas and it were to ignite on a hot part of the bike.

-----I once was told by an attendant he wouldn't urn on pump until I got off the bike. I get it they likely thought I was going to gas and dash, so I got off bike, not a huge issue.

I don't like that policy, I probably wouldn't remove my helmet either. BUT I do understand why the have the rule. Technically, for stores to offer Interac service, they need to have cameras on the POS machine to identify people in cause of fraud, they need to be able to review camera footage to see the person who made the purchase.

I'm not a criminal so I don't like the rules, but it makes total sense why it is place.

"Oh really, well I guess you don't want me to pay for that gas then?"
"No you have to pay"
"I see; well, helmet stays on thanks"

so to start with no one can make you do anything, if it is private property (like a gas station is) they can enforce their rules by asking you to leave if you don't obey then, well within their right but, if you already pumped gas and now you are trying to pay, what are they going to do, refuse to allow you to pay? then you would have to leave without paying even though you are trying to pay.

So yea there is no reason to go through the hassle and you are better off paying but at the end the only thing they can do is ask you to leave without paying and then since they are refusing to serve you and the gas is in your tank, you can legally leave without paying.

I am sure a cop car still is going to show at your house but they can't charge you at which point you would have to pay by riding to the station with paying while you are still wearing your helmet. lol

Not sure, I would want to "test" it out when the cop shows up that I was told to leave so I left without paying. So that is why I left, without paying. It would certainly be a he said, she said scenario, which would likely go in favor of the station attendant.

so to start with no one can make you do anything, if it is private property (like a gas station is) they can enforce their rules by asking you to leave if you don't obey then, well within their right but, if you already pumped gas and now you are trying to pay, what are they going to do, refuse to allow you to pay? then you would have to leave without paying even though you are trying to pay.

So yea there is no reason to go through the hassle and you are better off paying but at the end the only thing they can do is ask you to leave without paying and then since they are refusing to serve you and the gas is in your tank, you can legally leave without paying.

I am sure a cop car still is going to show at your house but they can't charge you at which point you would have to pay by riding to the station with paying while you are still wearing your helmet. lol

Back
Top Bottom