West Virginia/Virginia riding roads? | GTAMotorcycle.com

West Virginia/Virginia riding roads?

95teggy

I'm thinking of doing a WV/VA run and I'm trying to compile a list of good roads to check out. Do you guys have any suggestions?

The priority for us would be clean twisty roads (we will be on SS), followed by scenic roads and stops with breathtaking views.

I've searched old threads on GTAM but they're mostly 4-5 years old and Google Street View is almost a decade old for a lot of the country roads. Not sure how the pavement has changed in that time period.

From reading the old threads I've got:

VA16 (back of the dragon)
250 (Highland Turnpike section)
Spruce Knob mountain for the view (taking Smoke Hole Rd to get there, not sure if Smoke Hole Rd is clean though...)
Seneca Rocks for the scenery
Blue Ridge Parkway

Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited:
I'd take a close look at the weather report before heading south.

I recall getting cooked even in Nov in the WV area....it was just brutal. The heat from the rocky hillsides made some areas like a furnace.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/25/h...es/index.html?iid=ob_article_footer_expansion

I found back of the Dragon had gravel in the corners which definitely detracted.

There were some hilariously fun secondary roads but be damned if I could tell you.

There are few pics of my GPS that might give you some ideas

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...irginia-weekend-Oct-25th-suggestions-for-base

I'm thinking of doing a WV/VA run and I'm trying to compile a list of good roads to check out. Do you guys have any suggestions?

The priority for us would be clean twisty roads (we will be on SS), followed by scenic roads and stops with breathtaking views.

I've searched old threads on GTAM but they're mostly 4-5 years old and Google Street View is almost a decade old for a lot of the country roads. Not sure how the pavement has changed in that time period.

Spruce Knob mountain for the view (taking Smoke Hole Rd to get there, not sure if Smoke Hole Rd is clean though...)
Blue Ridge Parkway

I was on 250 just a couple of weeks ago and the pavement was great - this road rates as one of my top all time favourites for just plain fun on a motorcycle. The switchbacks have wide banked shoulders, the sightlines are excellent.

Back of the Dragon used to be a hidden gem - you have to keep an eye out for gravel in the corners and deer - but it is so scenic with the kudzu growing off the cliffs.

Don't worry about the heat - we were in the middle of the heatwave the last week in July and I tour in full gear and was fine as long as we were moving.

West Virginia is notorious for gravel - but just keep an eye out - its going to come with pretty well anywhere you are in the mountains.

It also depends on how much time you are spending in the area. If you are short on time - I would skip that part of the Blue Ridge or do a quick jump on - jump off if you want to take in some scenery. From Skyline Drive to the North Carolina border every scenic lookout is pretty well the same - don't get me wrong, beautiful - but similar. I've ridden the BR end to end and looking at the photographs for the most part I couldn't tell you what stretch I took them on.

You won't hit every great road in one trip - or 2 - or 3, so don't stress out too much. It just leaves something for next time.

Here's a route that I've done through WV and VA.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1nITcMp0wcS1gYeKPxlWu6SZLEdY

Believe it or not 219 south of Elkins is a great road. 61 from Narrows VA to Tazewell is very scenic as it runs along a river. After that you hit the Back Of The Dragon for tons of twists and 80 back up to Lebanon VA is almost as good.

By the way, this was part of the route I used to get to Deals Gap.

Last edited:

Blue Ridge Parkway

In case I am misunderstanding you... you can't actually take Smoke Hole road to Spruce Knob, because they are not connected directly. You can head up to the top of Spruce Knob off the #33, while Smoke Hole Rd is off the #28 (via Briery Gap Road). Like this: https://goo.gl/maps/UUAT2EffFUu The south end of Smoke Hole Rd is a mildly bumpy road but you are treated to some amazing canyon walls and a river beside you, which makes it very worthwhile. The north half of Smoke Hole Rd is excellent. Spruce Knob is a narrow road, but beautiful. You could literally coast down the mountain with your bikes off and see how well you maximize entry speeds and braking:)

The #33 and #250 are excellent roads. I also really liked the 219 as Gary pointed out and even the 220 is good if you need to travel parallel to the 219, but cover ground quicker to connect some other roads together.

VA#311 between Catawba and White Sulphur Springs is a surprisingly great road with excellent pavement and great corners. It was suggested to me by a local and it did not disappoint. https://goo.gl/maps/S2Fke4a8xLP2

One stretch of road I have always wanted to try, but never have the time is the #72 out of Red Creek: https://goo.gl/maps/5MCZ9BWuV8x If you have the time - check it out and let us know how it is.

Since you are planning on going all the way down to the Back of the Dragon, you might be interested to go a little further south, and ride the Jeb Stuart Highway - US58 and then hit up The Snake (US421) and Denton Valley Road to head back north again. Like this: https://goo.gl/maps/n7ABukq63nQ2

You will find stores to buy stickers, souvenirs and fuel in Thomson Valley (at the north end of the VA16) and also in Shady Valley (middle of US421). You will find some really nice views at Hungry Mother Lake on the VA16, at South Holston Lake on US421 and the BRP or Skyline Drive.

There's always more, but just not enough time:)
Safe trip!

Last edited:
If you like the Blue Ridge Parkway kind of stuff, then Skyline Drive. http://www.visitskylinedrive.org/Home.aspx
Great road but lots of tourist traffic similar to the main blueridge parkway road.

The 4-5 times I've been through Virginia, I've always found that the pavement conditions were far better than in Ontario. I'd just get down there and pick random squiggly lines on a map.

The most find trips were the random backroads by picking ones close to where ever I was. There's so many in that area you cant go wrong!!

I wrote out a detailed ride report but gtam decided I should reload the page and I lost everything. blah. Anyway just a quick summary:

Thank you for your suggestions. We did PA, VA/WV, OH in three days so we didn't have much time to check out a lot of the suggested roads.

The Good Roads:

50 specifically this section https://goo.gl/maps/7APGne2oRUU2
Probably my favourite road, heading east to west, it was an uphill climb (switchbacks), it's the most cleanest and smoothest pavement I've ever ridden on, prime for dragging knees.

250 was excellent, the extremely steep gradient made for lots of fun. Lots of off camber corners here.

33 heading towards Spruce Knob was great. The tight section at the bottom of Spruce Knob was amazing and is another favourite of mine. Very smooth, clean and you are able to see a few corners ahead.

We quickly passed by Seneca Rocks, it looks much better in person than in pictures.

VA16 was a lot of fun, all types of cornering here, from back to back hairpins to off camber tail of the dragon type corners to scenic sweepers.

Believe it or not 219 south of Elkins is a great road.

You are right, this was a lot of fun, it's a bit similar to 250 without the steepness.

Most challenging road: This would have to be the Triple Nickel in Ohio. Very hilly, no sight lines, no tree lines, narrow road, no shoulder, absolutely no forgiveness here. You have to be at 100% concentration or you'll get caught out, had a few oh **** moments here. Tons of fun though.

Worst roads: QEW, 401

A question for you guys, how do you go back and do Ontario roads now? Muskoka/Kawarthas seem so boring now, I used to get excited to do a River Rd or 518 run...now it's like..why even bother..

You won't hit every great road in one trip - or 2 - or 3, so don't stress out too much. It just leaves something for next time.

There's always more, but just not enough time:)

I think this is important to remember when planning a WV trip, there are just too many good roads and too little time.

Last edited:
A question for you guys, how do you go back and do Ontario roads now? Muskoka/Kawarthas seem so boring now, I used to get excited to do a River Rd or 518 run...now it's like..why even bother..

Now you understand the gales of laughter when "good roads in S Ontario? threads pop up"

I recall wasting many hours with a group to get 15 minutes each way on some "legendary road" in Ontario.:rolleyes: ...maybe as long as Wykoff Run, no where as much fun and waaaaay too long to get to. Join the go south fan club. :D

I really like riding in Ontario. The scenery is incredible and in 90 minutes I can be in some really nice riding areas. I really like the Canadian Shield. Our pavement might not be as smooth and our corners might not be as tight or plentiful as down south, but we have some incredible roads and scenery up here. For me, riding and life is about balance not hate:)

Thanks for the roads update too and glad you had a blast. Did you get a chance to ride the 72 north of Red Creek? I'm not sure if I have been on that stretch of the 50 so will have to check it out!

Thanks for the roads update too and glad you had a blast. Did you get a chance to ride the 72 north of Red Creek? I'm not sure if I have been on that stretch of the 50 so will have to check it out!

72 looked great on the map but unfortunately we were strapped for time so we couldn't check it out. And that section of 50 is incredible, we stumbled upon it by accident after going the wrong way.

It's funny, we only encountered a few sportbikes on the entire ride. Most were Harleys, cruisers, adventure, naked type bikes.

Last edited:
I wrote out a detailed ride report but gtam decided I should reload the page and I lost everything. blah. Anyway just a quick summary:

Thank you for your suggestions. We did PA, VA/WV, OH in three days so we didn't have much time to check out a lot of the suggested roads.

The Good Roads:

50 specifically this section https://goo.gl/maps/7APGne2oRUU2
Probably my favourite road, heading east to west, it was an uphill climb (switchbacks), it's the most cleanest and smoothest pavement I've ever ridden on, prime for dragging knees.

250 was excellent, the extremely steep gradient made for lots of fun. Lots of off camber corners here.

33 heading towards Spruce Knob was great. The tight section at the bottom of Spruce Knob was amazing and is another favourite of mine. Very smooth, clean and you are able to see a few corners ahead.

We quickly passed by Seneca Rocks, it looks much better in person than in pictures.

VA16 was a lot of fun, all types of cornering here, from back to back hairpins to off camber tail of the dragon type corners to scenic sweepers.

You are right, this was a lot of fun, it's a bit similar to 250 without the steepness.

Most challenging road: This would have to be the Triple Nickel in Ohio. Very hilly, no sight lines, no tree lines, narrow road, no shoulder, absolutely no forgiveness here. You have to be at 100% concentration or you'll get caught out, had a few oh **** moments here. Tons of fun though.

I think this is important to remember when planning a WV trip, there are just too many good roads and too little time.

nice, planing to head down to WV at the end of September, thanks for the report

A tip for riding the 555 in Ohio is look up to the telephone wires when the corners are blind. They follow the road so it gives you a pretty good indication of which way you'll be turning once you get over the crest of a hill.

I don't ride much locally anymore and just use the bike for sport touring in the US and occasionally up to Muskoka or down to Niagara. If you're questioning yourself "why even bother" then don't bother. Ride where and when you enjoy it, that's what I do.

Shenandoah Valley is very nice, there is a state park you can ride through. A bit pricey at $15 USD, but that is good for a week. I think it took me about 2 hours to ride through, very nice scenic riding, lots of twists and places to pull off and admire the view as well as plenty of shade from the trees.

It is the curvy route on the right.

Shenandoah Valley is very nice, there is a state park you can ride through. A bit pricey at $15 USD, but that is good for a week. I think it took me about 2 hours to ride through, very nice scenic riding, lots of twists and places to pull off and admire the view as well as plenty of shade from the trees.

It is the curvy route on the right.

That's another name for Skyline Drive. It's really just an extension of the BRP from I64 on the south end up to Front Royal VA at the north end. It's a great stretch of road but I would avoid it on the weekends due to heavy slow traffic. Well woth the $15 park entrance fee on a weekday though.

Skyline Dr/Shenandoah - They also have nice campgrounds which have really nice hikes and trails to explore. Highly recommended.

In West Virginia 16 & 19 are in a "V" that meet near Fayettville & the New River Gorge bridge. We rode down one and up the other . Both are great with barely a straight section. As a bonus lots of run down double wides to view along the way.

Back
Top Bottom