Labour Day Weekend Saturday - Frontenac Region | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Labour Day Weekend Saturday - Frontenac Region

I may be interested if you leave from Mississauga. Also the best website to create GPX files in mapmyrun.com. It allows unlimited waypoints and very easy to add/delete waypoints also.

Thanks - I'm using Tyre to create the gpx files and it's also free and does unlimited waypoints and just uses the google maps interface to plot the routes, so very easy. I'll keep you posted about whether I'm leaving from Mississauga or if I will head out on Friday instead.

Breyton: 511 is awesome and I also really like any 500 series hwy especially the 508. Come check out the area south of hwy7 or we'll at least post up about how good it is compared to other popular roads.

Just out of curiosity. If you camp where will you stay? I am not much of a camper (in a tent anyways) but if anyone wants to split a motel I may go up with you on Friday.

I've done some roads south of Hwy 7 in a car. Most of them were too rough for me.

First step taken ... all my track stuff including the race bike is out of the van. It had to come out to do a sprocket change for Calabogie anyhow. And new tires. (VRRA at Bogie is the weekend after this planned trip)

What it means is that there is a possibility that I can split the trip in the van with someone else in the Miss/Bram/Gtown/Caledon area, so if anyone besides myself is feeling too olde to put up with the first and last three or four hours of the trip (the boring highway part), speak up. The van uses 11 - 12 L/100 km so splitting the gas pretty much makes this a freebie. If we stay overnight, I'm sleeping in the van, but there's no issue bringing camping gear ... this way you don't have to pack it on your bike.

Also ... (Based on me riding a sport bike with Dunlop Q3 tires) ... Route change request. I think the reason will be apparent. (edit - Suggestion - Just keep going on Crow Lake over to 36 and skip the little loop up to highway 7 and back. The leg going up to 7 appears to be at least partially gravel - I'm surprised Google Maps drove down that! - and the leg south from 7 is mostly just a regular provincial highway)

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.6...0x4cd28ddb308c8379:0x6f7c302e2458e30a!1m0!3e0

Last edited:
Yeah let's get rid of that Armstrong Rd and I can avoid Burridge too. jc100 pointed out Armstrong Rd before and I looked it at in satellite view, but I didn't see the street view so I didn't know it looked like that. That's easy to work around and thanks for the heads up. I'll make the route change.

gaihosa: If I stay over on Friday night, I would probably stay as close to Kaladar/Kingston as reasonable so there isn't to far to go in the morning to meet up. While I don't mind long days on the bike, that's a long boring slab to do it twice, but I'm on a pretty comfy bike, so I don't have as much to complain as others do.

On another note ... +1 for including Opinicon Road in the second leg. I've done that in a car, and it was great.

And for the situation described in the previous post ... Since the second leg backtracks along the same paved road that the gravel one leads onto, just take Crow Lake to 36 and stay on that into Westport. I haven't looked into the other roads in the second leg yet and I have an early flight for a business trip tomorrow so I'm done for the day.

Just changed the routes and the first leg now stays on Crow Lake as you mentioned. Also noticed that Frontenac Rd and Ducharme Rd are also gravel, so just edited them out as well.
For the second leg, Opinicon Rd is one I'm looking forward to and I also removed the 2nd running of Arden rd and replaced it with Mountain Rd between Parham and Tamworth because it's much smoother.
Cheers!

Last edited:
So it seems I have the go ahead to ride up on Friday and spend the night, weather permitting. I will plan to pitch a tent at Desert Lake Campground (https://goo.gl/maps/vJbNxs2G1YM2), but I'm open to splitting a cheap motel in the area if anyone else wants to.

I will take an indirect route to get there, so I'm leaving Mississauga around 7am. https://goo.gl/maps/cC7x7BxEEKz

Excellent. I have to work Friday, but I've strategically arranged to finish east of Toronto, which means I'll take the van with bike in it and I can meet you there. Did you make a reservation at the campground (do you need to?) When do you expect to get there?

Great. I did make a reservation. It's a tent site so you should be able to park your van right on the site if you want to. If no hiccups, I hope to be there around 6ish.

I did Bollingbrooke and Mountain Rd again yesterday along with the 509 and the 506 north of Highway 7 and some gravel roads to get to Wheelers Pancake House (recommended by the way but a little out of your way). Both those roads are in great condition and didn't see a spot of gravel on Mountain Rd at all.

Damn... I really need to get better/more confident on my cornering so I can come on these rides.... Track school next year :)

No worries, come out for the Friday ride and I can almost guarantee you will be a much better rider after the day is done. I always wait for everyone to catch up anyways. Until you take courses of some sort, the easiest way to get better is experience and practice, with people who won't pressure you into riding above your abilities.

Dammit...work gets in the way again :( And I was so looking forward to this ride! If anything changes I'll make it out but doesn't look like it now. Enjoy and looking forward to the pics...and a final map so I can do the ride as well at a diff time.

Back
Top Bottom