Labour Day Weekend Saturday - Frontenac Region | GTAMotorcycle.com

Labour Day Weekend Saturday - Frontenac Region

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I have never been on these roads near Kingston and want to check them out. If you have ridden with me before - you know what to expect.

Date: Saturday, September 3rd (and see below for a Friday ride I'm doing to Elephant Lake Rd and Calabogie too).

Meeting Spot: 8am - in Kaladar at the Shell station.

Pace: Fun in corners and responsible/respectful everywhere else.

Lunch: Pack a lunch/snacks and we'll find nice spots to eat by lakes or rivers. No plans to stop at a sit down restaurant.

Route: Since I have never been on these roads, I can not vouch for the road quality of any of them, but others have chimed in and said they are good . I'm on street tires, so no intentional gravel here. Google Maps only allows a certain number of points, so the route is in 2 parts - totaling about 7 hours, plus time getting to and from the area. There should be gas every 160km or so. If you want the GPX file of the route, send me your email address.
Part 1: https://goo.gl/maps/4CmQYcaGJTQ2 - about 2.5hrs - starting in Kaladar
Part 2: https://goo.gl/maps/m4SCvtPgm352 - about 4.5hrs - finishing in Kaladar

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On Friday, I also am going to do an all day ride via Elephant Lake Rd and Calabogie and pitch a tent at Desert Lake Campground, where I hope to be at Desert Lake by 6pm. I'm leaving Mississauga around 6:30am on Friday morning if anyone is interested in that instead, or as well. Friday route: https://goo.gl/maps/cC7x7BxEEKz
We'll do a lunch/swim at South Baptiste Lake Rd, so bring your shorts if you are down for a dip.

Meeting spot for Friday ride: 8am @ Tim Horton's in Port Perry

If you are interested, PM or post up.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I might be up for this. I've been in that area before, a long time ago.

Suggestion ... Between Tichborne and Sharbot Lake, hang a right on Crow Lake road and take that over to 36, skipping a piece of highway 7 and a couple parts of highways 38 and 36 that are just ordinary provincial highways.

I'm moving on September 1, but I'll really try to make this one. I've never explored much over that way.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

12 hrs is a little on the long side. I also have a new power Commander with a new map. I don't know the fuel expectancy on that. However, I will keep an eye on this thread

It is a little long. I was also thinking about heading up there Friday night so it makes the Saturday ride that much shorter. I would be up for that if there was interest - maybe even take a longer scenic route to wherever spending the night. I'm up for whatever as long as I get to check out the area:)

Last edited:
If I do this, I'll likely put my bike in my van and get the boring (401) part done in comfort. It means doing a loop starting and finishing from a spot where the van can be parked for the day (usually not hard to find).

If I do this, I'll likely put my bike in my van and get the boring (401) part done in comfort. It means doing a loop starting and finishing from a spot where the van can be parked for the day (usually not hard to find).
No problem - the Shell station in Kaladar seems pretty big and the route is easy to make into a loop starting and finishing from there.
The more I think about it, I like the idea of pitching a tent close to Kaladar the night before.

It looks like the Jones Falls Dam is an interesting place to stop for lunch.

Is cbr250 welcome to ride along? I might join you guys. if i do go, I have to wake up really early since I'm from Hamilton.

Interested but will know closer to the date what the weekend will look like.

When will you decide if you are doing a sleep over ? I am interested but the most i done in a day is 500 km.. So I am a light weight compared to you guys :) the 1000 km a day strikes fear

When will you decide if you are doing a sleep over ? I am interested but the most i done in a day is 500 km.. So I am a light weight compared to you guys :) the 1000 km a day strikes fear
I only ever did 400km in a day. Until I did 500. Then one day I did 800. Now 1000 is somewhat regular. Just do it! Shane's rides are great fun.

^^Thanks:)

What kind of a bike are you on? We do ride a quick pace in the twisty roads, but if you or anyone is slower, we will wait at the end of every road for the group to catch up. If at any point you feel the ride is too much in terms of distance, pace or whatever, then there's no pressure and feel free to split from the group.

I also think you should be fine. We start early, but also take more short breaks and still cover a lot of distance, so even though they are long days, we take a break every 1.5-2 hours. The day usually goes by pretty fast, also because the curvy roads require you to constantly shift your body weight/position, so it's not nearly the same as riding straight roads.

I figure I will know about sleeping over a few days before the ride, based on work, weather etc...

I only ever did 400km in a day. Until I did 500. Then one day I did 800. Now 1000 is somewhat regular. Just do it! Shane's rides are great fun.

The best rides have me knackered after 250 km, though ...

Shane, i'd be game for another 1000 km ride. Cbr929 is off the road for now. My old vtr1000f os back on. Only problem with that old beast is the 48mm throttle bodies that drink fuel. That and a 14 L tank means i have 160k before the fuel light turns on, and at a spirited pace, maybe 25k after that.

200 k is dreaming in my case.

Hey Matt,
I think you should be fine on the VTR. I just checked the route and there is a gas station every 160 km or less it seems.

Last edited:
I've rode that area many times but we always stayed north of 7. Locals love 511 north of Perth.

Back
Top Bottom