well that explains the bumping | GTAMotorcycle.com

well that explains the bumping

Skyway6

Was out cruising around on Friday. Having a great time. A few hours into the ride as i was going slow in traffic i felt a bump bump bump enough that i felt it in the handle bars.
Put it down to just ruts in the road as when i went faster it went away. Even so, when i stopped shortly after had a look over the bike and did not see anything.

on Saturday morning i see what the bumping was caused by. A big piece of metal (bolt?) stuck in the tire. Not sure how deep it is stuck in but did not pull it out. Going to be putting on
a new tire.

avJtV6uh.jpg

Damn, looks like the tire is fairly new to begin with as well. What a pain in the ass/wallet

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Better a string patch - likely need two strings ..lasted 10k km on a Pilot 3 on my strom - about the same position.

Personal preference, but if it were me I might patch it now, but I'd be looking to replace it in the very near future. I've run patched tires on my car before that have held up fine over time (1-2 years), but on a bike where you only have 2 wheels and things go very bad if one blows...I wouldn't want to risk it longer term.

That said, I 'think' I've heard before if the puncture is in the centre of the tire on a bike it is 'safer' to patch than if it were more off to the side, but I could be wrong on that one.

Get your patch kit ready, then unscrew it, it might be short and no hole in the inner casing.

For my peace of mind when ever a tire gets any kind of compromise to its structure i vote to just replace it. While sure the cost for a new tire is more compared to a patch.
I look at it as cheaper in the long run compared to a tire failing and causing a wreck. The damage to the bike and worse possible damage to me is a cost i do not want to pay.

Was a bit of a downer finding the bolt on Saturday morning as i planned on a long day ride. My first ride to Princeston BC. ~275km one way trip thru some nice twisty mountain hwy.
Still did the trip but was in the car.

here is route for the interested. check out the twists on the hwy 3 portion.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/49.2...7,-120.5771301,13.75z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Last edited:
For my peace of mind when ever a tire gets any kind of compromise to its structure i vote to just replace it. While sure the cost for a new tire is more compared to a patch.
I look at it as cheaper in the long run compared to a tire failing and causing a wreck. The damage to the bike and worse possible damage to me is a cost i do not want to pay.

Was a bit of a downer finding the bolt on Saturday morning as i planned on a long day ride. My first ride to Princeston BC. ~275km one way trip thru some nice twisty mountain hwy.
Still did the trip but was in the car.

here is route for the interested. check out the twists on the hwy 3 portion.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/49.2...7,-120.5771301,13.75z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

crowsnest hwy 3. did that incredible route - on a RG500. big smiles. hwy sign with a black crow on it. tight tight switchbacks, don't let em catch unaware.

have a new tire on standby and patch this one and see how it holds. An inside patch would be best, but a string one might last the life of the tire. Have always had success with the string patches.

I would patch it, that bike has a very low redline. As you must know.

I just had a cage tire plugged and my buddy / mechanic was using a different patch than usual. It looked like long pencil eraser and there was a special insert tool. The plug mushrooms on the inside after being squeezed in by the tool that looks like a short nut runner. So far so good.

I look at it as cheaper in the long run compared to a tire failing and causing a wreck.

ummm how many instances are you aware of that rear mcycle tire going flat causes a wreck??? There are risks riding ...that's not one of them.

They just get squirmy and you pull off. They are very strongly built tires as you quickly find out trying to patch them.

yes MacDoc that may be true that probably nothing bad would happen. Except if it happens to go flat on a mountain pass in the middle of no where and no cell phone coverage. I would rather pay for a new tire.
Does not take long to get into an area like that from Vancouver.
So today i headed to the dealer. I checked pressure before heading out and tire was down to 12psi. Pumped it back up to spec and checked 30min later. only dropped .5psi so took chance to ride the ~6km to dealer.
Really happy with the new tire. Got a Bridgestone Battlax T30 installed.

When the old tire was off i asked how deep was the screw. Was sticking into the tire carcass a good quarter inch. I am guessing i picked it up while going over some train tracks as i noticed the bumping shortly after.

yes MacDoc that may be true that probably nothing bad would happen. Except if it happens to go flat on a mountain pass in the middle of no where and no cell phone coverage. I would rather pay for a new tire.

That was my take as well but after reading the accounts of people who travel the out of the way places and my own experience of putting thousands of KM on it including our 6k km East coast tour some of which was certainly remote.....I'm confident of the technology. I'd say you have no extra risk as long as you make sure it's a solid patch. If there is no air loss - you have the same risk of puncture...
For sure it's tech you should take with you.
My friend who is currently in Alaska patched his a couple years back and rode it to end of life as have many others. ( he was in Alaska at the time and rode it home ).
One guy had 7 strings in his front tire...I wonder just WHERE he was riding.??!!!

Certainly should be on the packing list.

Back
Top Bottom