Car License Plate Question | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car License Plate Question

blue sharpie, just touch up the perimeter of the letters, done...lol
I have seen some out there the blue letters are all white...and these ppl get away with it...lol, lucky them.

Probably the greater part of 2 decades

That sort of gets down to the crux - how long should a license plate be expected to last?

On most vehicles they are under constant exposure to the sun, to a variety of often harsh weather conditions, and the infamous scrub brushes at many automatic car washes.

The old steel plates used to rust, get scratched up, and or fade right out. The new plates are made differently so they don't rust, but other than premature foil peeling on a few plates, why would anyone expect them to last forever without showing the effects of age?

We pay registration fees year in year out. Free replacement in the case of normal wear and tear is the least we should expect.

We pay registration fees year in year out. Free replacement in the case of normal wear and tear is the least we should expect.
I agree.
I asked about getting replacement personalized plates. They charge full pop. Inthought I thought there should be some sort of discount. Just means I'll get something else....maybe "INREBRLZ".

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Registration does not include plate cost. When you purchase a new or used car and don't already have your own plate, you get charged an extra $40 just for the plate over and above the cost of the validation sticker. Your annual registration fees after that still cover road licensing only, and not the plate itself.

Free replacement of a defective plate within a defined warranty period is reasonable. Eligibility for "normal" wear and tear can't be objectively quantified. Wear and tear is to a large part dependent on each individual vehicle owner and how well they look after their vehicle, whether they garage the vehicle or not, what kind of roads they drive on, and even on whether they use automatic car washes as opposed to hand washing.

They don't make em like they used to. My 30 & 20 year old MC plates are in better condition than my A series car plates. Both on rear of vehicle. My front one on the cage is at least not peeling apart, just faded a bit. Swapped it to the back now.

Registration does not include plate cost. When you purchase a new or used car and don't already have your own plate, you get charged an extra $40 just for the plate over and above the cost of the validation sticker. Your annual registration fees after that still cover road licensing only, and not the plate itself.

Free replacement of a defective plate within a defined warranty period is reasonable. Eligibility for "normal" wear and tear can't be objectively quantified. Wear and tear is to a large part dependent on each individual vehicle owner and how well they look after their vehicle, whether they garage the vehicle or not, what kind of roads they drive on, and even on whether they use automatic car washes as opposed to hand washing.

:rolleyes:

You must get a rager thinking about how much smarter you (think you) are than the average user here... like I've never registered a vehicle before... Thanks for the detailed explanation lmao

blue sharpie, just touch up the perimeter of the letters, done...lol
I have seen some out there the blue letters are all white...and these ppl get away with it...lol, lucky them.

I've seen Brampton Transit city buses that have all the blue letters faded off. How does the city of Brampton get away with it??

As far as how long the plate should last ... How about order-of-magnitude as long as the vehicle it's attached to? The license plate seems to get sandblasted long before the surrounding paint on the bumper wears through.

Some of them do last that long. I've got one that's about 16 years old and the paint is fine, although there's a fatigue crack growing near one of the bolts.

:rolleyes:

You must get a rager thinking about how much smarter you (think you) are than the average user here... like I've never registered a vehicle before... Thanks for the detailed explanation lmao

Given this statement of yours, it seemed like you needed an explanation. Or did you post in a rage of your own before thinking again?

Since the mid-90s. The current 3M reflective material has been in use since the mid-2000s.

Ok, well. He has an 05 GL1800 that he's owned more or less since new (slightly used when he got it I think?), but the plate he has could have well been from one of his earlier bikes, hence his attachment to it.

Given this statement of yours, it seemed like you needed an explanation. Or did you post in a rage of your own before thinking again?

Again? Umm, okay..

The statement was pretty straight forward. We pay $108 per year, a free replacement plate is NOT too much to ask given our yearly contributions. But thanks again for applying your own special brand of context to my statements. FTR, other less tightly wound members seemed to understand without further clarification. Maybe read a little further before you reply next time.

PS. Rager had nothing to do with rage; slow down and think about it

My parents have been driving with the same plate as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately last spring mom actually got stopped and got a ticket for having a faded plate. Don't think she went to fight it but it was a pain in the *** to get a ticket, and then have to go to the MTO to get a new plate, and be charged for it. A buddy of mine met the same fate last year. So if your plates are fading, get it taken care of on the off chance you get stopped and ticketed for it.

Doesn't the MTO technically "own" the plate? It's just registered to you to use. They supply it and should replace them if their product is such low quality.

Back
Top Bottom