Car License Plate Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car License Plate Question

RockThis52

My license plate on my car is fading away, some of the front letters and numbers have completely fallen off, and the rear is starting the same trend. So bad that when I went to the dump once the automated computer mistook the P for an F.

I have old plates from a car I sold in 2012 that are in perfect condition.

Also my current plates are registered for December 2018.

Is it as easy as going to a service Ontario and registering the new plate to the new car, giving them the damaged plate, and they give me a sticker for December 2018? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If they are peeling simply take the plates and ownership into service ontario and they will replace them for free. My fleet of cars have had several of the series of plates starting with a B do the same. They were defective and are being replaced at no charge. They will issue a new sticker with the same expiry date as your current one.

If they are peeling simply take the plates and ownership into service ontario and they will replace them for free. My fleet of cars have had several of the series of plates starting with a B do the same. They were defective and are being replaced at no charge. They will issue a new sticker with the same expiry date as your current one.
On the service Ontario site it says:

If your plate has been*damaged*you need to visit a*ServiceOntario centre*to get a replacement.

Cost: $40

You must bring the following items:

identification
proof of valid insurance
the vehicle permit (plate and vehicle portion)
the damaged plates

That being said, it is a B series plate so maybe it will be free of charge as you say.

You are dealing with government employees. If it is "free" to replace a defective license plate (and thus issue you new plates and print a new ownership) then that's the thing to do. If you have "another" license plate, they probably can swap it over but since it isn't the recognized "free" deal, expect to have to pay for it ... even though you would be doing the system a service by letting them re-use something they would otherwise have to replace at a cost.

... IF ... THEN ...

I find it bs imo that we have to pay for plates that are obviously defective. If it's rusted, damaged etc that's one thing, but when they are peeling, like I have seen many do, they should be replaced at no charge. That's why my personalized plates have a clear cover on them (Although technically illegal iirc)

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

You are dealing with government employees. If it is "free" to replace a defective license plate (and thus issue you new plates and print a new ownership) then that's the thing to do. If you have "another" license plate, they probably can swap it over but since it isn't the recognized "free" deal, expect to have to pay for it ... even though you would be doing the system a service by letting them re-use something they would otherwise have to replace at a cost.

... IF ... THEN ...
I understand your point, but the replacement I would be dealing with would not even be free at that point considering it's over 5 years old as someone stated above.

I guess the best thing to do is go in and ask tomorrow. Hopefully it's smooth for me and my wallet.

I find it bs imo that we have to pay for plates that are obviously defective. If it's rusted, damaged etc that's one thing, but when they are peeling, like I have seen many do, they should be replaced at no charge. That's why my personalized plates have a clear cover on them (Although technically illegal iirc)

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk
I think they are illegal even though you're protecting government property.

I have a fleet of cars and have brought in almost a dozen B series plates that were peeling and every one has been replaced free of charge regardless of age.

I know someone who went through the trouble of re-painting his motorcycle plate... apparently no rules against that

actually there is, its considered an altered plate. They have a rule for everything

This seems a bit murky to me. He went to the trouble of obtaining the correct paint for his year of plates. Is that altered? Aside from the fact that it would be impossible for them to tell

Also (of course some of you are aware of this) TIL that the old cliche of license plates being manufactured by inmates holds true in Ontario

Back
Top Bottom