07 GSXR 600 - Slipper Clutch? | GTAMotorcycle.com

07 GSXR 600 - Slipper Clutch?

acernec

I was searching online and trying to figure out if an 07 GSXR 600 comes stock with a slipper clutch. From what I found online, Suzuki calls it something else.

Is there for a way for me to tell if it has a slipper clutch easily?

Not trying to be a dick, but 5 seconds on google and a Wikipedia article indicate they introduced the slipper in 06.

One of the reasons I asked was because a mechanic said it has a wet clutch and they were the same thing. Maybe I'm not as good with Google like you are and thanks for the clarification.

Whether a clutch is wet or dry (ie. bathed in oil - most bikes, or not - some ducatis and a few others) does not mean it is or isn't a slipper clutch. Slipper clutches are intended to be "back torque limiting" allowing the driven side of the system to slip or spin free (depends on design intentions). Similar to starter clutches or "sprag" clutches for older style atv's. In your case, the only time it will come into effect is hard downshifts, and you may not notice it, which would be ideal.

There is lots of good reading about both topics available elsewhere online and this forum. It may be difficult to learn the key search topics, start with a broader scope and as you read and learn, narrow it down to the specifics you were originally interested in. In your case: "Suzuki GSXR clutch specs" might be a little too specific in goal and broad in results (no model year), initially. Start with "motorcycle wet clutch vs. dry clutch" or "slipper clutch explanation". Or if you are only interested in whether your bike had it or not, you can search that directly.

Last edited:
Whether a clutch is wet or dry (ie. bathed in oil - most bikes, or not - some ducatis and a few others) does not mean it is or isn't a slipper clutch. Slipper clutches are intended to be "back torque limiting" allowing the driven side of the system to slip or spin free (depends on design intentions). Similar to starter clutches or "sprag" clutches for older style atv's. In your case, the only time it will come into effect is hard downshifts, and you may not notice it, which would be ideal.

There is lots of good reading about both topics available elsewhere online and this forum. It may be difficult to learn the key search topics, start with a broader scope and as you read and learn, narrow it down to the specifics you were originally interested in. In your case: "Suzuki GSXR clutch specs" might be a little too specific in goal and broad in results (no model year), initially. Start with "motorcycle wet clutch vs. dry clutch" or "slipper clutch explanation". Or if you are only interested in whether your bike had it or not, you can search that directly.

You must be teaching in college.
The answer is very simple, it is a slipper which is the way it came from factory, this means if you come in to a corner with 2 or 3 downshifts your back tire will not skid, which could save you couple of fairings or more, ask me how i know.

One of the reasons I asked was because a mechanic said it has a wet clutch and they were the same thing. Maybe I'm not as good with Google like you are and thanks for the clarification.

i would start looking for another mechanic. a wet clutch and a slipper clutch are not the same thing.

i would start looking for another mechanic. a wet clutch and a slipper clutch are not the same thing.

+1

That's some pretty basic stuff; wonder if he knows the difference between a wrench and a ratchet lol

How about a wrench & a spanner?

ok you should know, from the factory the clutches are set so as to not slip. You need to adjust the 3 screws to activate the slipper action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54X23gZVl78

do not go 2 1/4 as the video suggests. 1/2-1 full turn is a good point for a track bike. depends on what you like to feel.

Last edited:
You must be teaching in college.
The answer is very simple, it is a slipper which is the way it came from factory, this means if you come in to a corner with 2 or 3 downshifts your back tire will not skid, which could save you couple of fairings or more, ask me how i know.

Tell that to my 08 GSXR750 that fish tailed like crazy when I went from 2nd to 1st accidentally at 110km/h (I never did it again).

Back
Top Bottom