Anyone know if you can add OEM ABS to a non-abs cbr250/300? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone know if you can add OEM ABS to a non-abs cbr250/300?

JP0160

I know some of the 250's and 300's come with abs, but anyone know if you can add an OEM ABS system to a non-abs honda CBR 250 or 300? I know the mounting points on the wheels are the same for either model.

I'm considering removing my ABS and selling it off. I don't plan on selling my bike so I'm not worried about "devaluing" it. Considering the factory ABS upgrade is nearly $1000 when purchasing new, what do you think is a fair price for a complete used oem system? $300-400?

In theory yes, but it is not something you could do/would want to do. If memory serves it would involve the entire braking system including calipers, plus the ABS modulator, plus the ECU of the bike. Even if you could remove it all and sell it, you'd end up with an unrideable bike until you replaced everything with non-ABS equivalent parts, likely at a higher cost than what you sold yours for.

Also if memory serves, ABS was $500 more, but maybe that's changed in the last 4 years.

Ummm.. Ok. One question. Why? I totally do not get the point unless you just need the money?

And I agree, it's not realistic. It's highly unlikely that it's all just bolt on stuff that's easily separated from the bike.

In theory could also sell 1 wheel too...just ride unicycle. Arguably that might be even easier than gutting the bike's systems to pull out ABS. lol

Yes. You remove the seat, throw out the non-abs CBR stuff, and replace everything underneath with with abs stuff, then reinstall the seat.

Yes. You remove the seat, throw out the non-abs CBR stuff, and replace everything underneath with with abs stuff, then reinstall the seat.

This forum needs a 'like' feature. lol

Ahh I see, I thought it was somewhat of a bolt-on system. Thanks!

It is, but the problem is that the cost of the non-ABS parts and the labour involved makes a swap cost prohibitive. Don't forget that the wiring harness swap requires tearing the whole bike apart.

It is, but the problem is that the cost of the non-ABS parts and the labour involved makes a swap cost prohibitive. Don't forget that the wiring harness swap requires tearing the whole bike apart.

They actually ran different harnesses? Wow, I would have thought it would be a single harness with some capped plugs for non-abs bikes.

Yes, it is possible. You would need to a bunch of parts which would make this swap not worth it.
Unless you had a wrecked parts bike to scavenge from.

You would need stuff like...

1. Brake rotor with the reluctor wheel
2. ABS sensors and wiring harness
3. ABS model wiring harness that drives the pump , works the cluster etc.
4. ABS PUMP - im sure the frames are all the same so they would have this mount prebuilt.
5. ABS model brake lines - since the master cylinder lines go to the abs pump - which in turn feeds the calipers.
6. For the ninja 300 - rear caliper mount is required which houses the speed sensor / abs sensor. Im pretty sure the front abs sensor is in the caliper mount housing as well.
7. Then you would need the abs gauge cluster, unless the non-abs version has that feature.
8. You would also need the abs control module.

I am sure I am missing something else...but yes - its possible. But is it worth it to convert a non-abs to a abs? not looking at the cost.

Back
Top Bottom