Bought GSXR 750.. First bike - What should I do... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bought GSXR 750.. First bike - What should I do...

Bordsy750

Hey guy's!

New member here, I recently just bought a GSXR and wont be riding it until october when I turn 25 and insurance is better. With that being said, I have time now to do some fixing on the bike. The bike is mint, 2009 GSXR 750 with 8500km's. I know the guy who sold me it, he drives high end cars and is super rich LOL. his wife hated it and wouldnt go on the back so she forced him to sell it and get a bike she can be comfortable on. ANYWAY (sorry for the rant) What should I do right now with this bike in regards to maintenance, I dont know much about bikes and I want to baby this thing from day 1. should I go get a fresh oil change and what else should I look into with the GSXR regularly so she lasts and stays in great shape. Thanks guys!

Im basically asking what things should I watch for with this type of bike, things I should maintain regularly on this bike and some things I can work on now to ensure its going to last as long as I have it.

If it only has 8,500km on it, then really you shouldn't have to do anything other than oil & filter, chain lubrication, chain adjustments (maybe), and tires (maybe).

Modern bikes are a lot like cars...not much they need until they get older/high mileage. Valve checks around 25,000km vs 250,000km are the only big difference mechanically that really come to mind.

Welcome fellow 750 owner, what colour is yours?

Part numbers can be found here: http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/#/l/suz/506b6176f8700235b8768943/2009-gsx-r750-parts

Used parts:
http://cyclereapers.com/

What kind of work does it need?

I have the maintenance/service manual for my 2008. I can e-mail it to you. Check if the recalls have been taken care of by calling any Suzuki dealer with vin.

Thanks a ton for that. It's a whitish/blue/grey with white tank. I'll save those for sure. He got the wiring harness recall done and I'll definitely get the others done too. Thanks!

**just tried to attach a picture but it's too big I guess, I'll try again later.

Last edited:
If it only has 8,500km on it, then really you shouldn't have to do anything other than oil & filter, chain lubrication, chain adjustments (maybe), and tires (maybe).

Modern bikes are a lot like cars...not much they need until they get older/high mileage. Valve checks around 25,000km vs 250,000km are the only big difference mechanically that really come to mind.

Awesome - that's wicked. I just got it and it's my first bike. So I'm just kinda seeing what I should keep my eye on and little things to maintaine more then others. I just want to baby it and have you guys give me input with what you guys do to maintain your bikes so they last and run smooth. I'm so ready to ride haha!

It's a Suzuki, needs nothing but fresh oil and gas.

Get good gear, wear it all the time, get the suspension set up for your weight, book a rider training course for next spring, enjoy it!

Can defer the valve clearance inspection until 35-40k as anything earlier and they will likely be well within spec.

I know I got notices in the mail about a master cylinder recall for the GSXR. But I threw them out because I have aftermarket on already. Might want to check into that.

@Bordsy750 pic too big while using the Tapatalk app? Usually they work np. Don't use the paperclip icon, use the gallery.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

first bike? nice ride..
i would beg, borrow or rent a dirt bike for your first few hours of learning to ride - seriously.
learn and practice braking with the front wheel until it becomes second nature. and take a motorcycle safety foundation type riding course

first bike? nice ride..
i would beg, borrow or rent a dirt bike for your first few hours of learning to ride - seriously.
learn and practice braking with the front wheel until it becomes second nature. and take a motorcycle safety foundation type riding course

He knows how to ride, it's not his first time

Am I missing something funny? You guys have all done this and have been here before. I'm new to motorcycle insurance and such. I've driven an R6 for a summer illegally but that doesn't help me in the experience department. I'm just genuinely looking for advice.

in this thread he is asking what to do with a mint bike he purchased, and what maintenance he needs to do....

my guess is if the bike is mint, then there is nothing to do right now, but go out and ride.....

do all your maintenance stuff at the end of the season, when you put up for storage for the winter...

Awesome - that's wicked. I just got it and it's my first bike. So I'm just kinda seeing what I should keep my eye on and little things to maintaine more then others. I just want to baby it and have you guys give me input with what you guys do to maintain your bikes so they last and run smooth. I'm so ready to ride haha!

"I just got it and its my first bike." from this thread...

Back
Top Bottom