Quitting for 5 years, anyone do this before? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quitting for 5 years, anyone do this before?

Sounds like a keeper!

Not sure if you have one, but maybe ditch the computer instead, and get a part time job to fill in the now abundant leisure hours?

Never! lol The computer is my lively hood in addition to entertainment system. I'll be using the extra time to brush up on the ridiculous amount of JavaScript frameworks that have popped up while I've been working with Microsoft specific technologies. It'll improve my chances of staying relevant in software development; things move almost too quickly now.

Thanks btw everyone. Feel a lot less ****** now.

My point is, for the street your only option is to pay insurance for the full year. For track, you can determine how many track days you want to do. Using your $300 example, you could do 1 for $300, 2 for $600, etc depending on what your cash flow allowed. If the bike is paid for, and you choose to do none, then it costs you a total of $0 for that year (well maybe $100 since you'd likely want to change oil and potentially other fluids at least once a year). Granted, he did say he needs some work done on the bike, so there would likely be other costs to make it track-worthy.

Unless you are still paying off the bike or need the money, you'd end up better off keeping it for now, vs selling and then having to buy another bike...unless you figure you'll want a different track bike in 5 years time.

makes no sense IMO to keep the bike in this scenario, you can sell the bike, and pump that $$ into the student load, cutting down the amount of interest you will pay, vs keeping it to ride once a year (maybe) and have it loose value over 5 years.

Quite honestly you made a good choice if at the end of the day if $200/m is your free money after bills.

Right now I ride an old VFR. Sure I could afford an 2016 BMW R NINE T, but I'd have to give up the college course (Lambton CPET) which I rather not do.

Nothing wrong with taking time of the bike, it may end up a lot less than 5 years.

We moved from Kenya to Canada in 2003, My dad always had a bike and grew up with them. His bike came first, even after marriage he always had a Honda parked at home. When we moved, along with a new country, starting from scratch etc... He sacrificed owning a bike to make ends meet. Its been 13 years, and only now is he willing to get a bike again, although his dream't of owning one since moving, every single day. His starting from scratch, with an M1, even though he rode for 40yrs+ in East Africa. This time, I got my M2 and plan to join him :cool:

Story short, sometimes you have to sacrifice now and do what it takes to get where you want to be, big toys for big boys like bikes, take the backseat. Perception of time is different for everyone, if you think 5 years, it will be agony. Take it one day at a time, and like you said, use the time to learn and grow in other aspects of life.

Often the best info is not in the text but rather reading in between the lines. All I can see is empty space but I imagine it would say "my girlfriend is better at head games than I am so I'll pretend to be the responsible one and quit riding". Hydration, ya, that could get out of hand.

油井緋色;2439691 said:
I'm actually looking into perhaps teaching (a friend of mine will recommend me).

But parking lots have pinecones.... lol

油井緋色;2439584 said:
Long story short, girl friend is paying for rent so I can pay my student loans off fast. After bills, I have $200/m leisure money.

My friend is buying my bike on Sunday right after my last track day. I'm starting to feel pretty ****ing emo.

=(
Translation..... Shes got you by the nut pouch. Trap dude. Run, don't walk. IMO

I once quit riding for almost 2 years in the 80's. The girl I lived with at the time was nicknamed 'Mini Farrah Fawcett" and she hated motorcycles. I put my GS850L in storage in my parents garage. I stand by my decision. But I would never make that sacrifice again. I'm older and Wiser.

....and no, she didn't pay my rent. I take care of myself.
I had a mini Julia Roberts back in the day, she could suck a golf ball through a 50' garden hose...she hated bikes too. I had to let her go.

油井緋色;2439668 said:
Why?

I never provided my monthly expenses breakdown btw, but it includes investments, taking the girl out, her birthday presents, and an engagement ring.

It sounds like she's a real "princess", of course your choice :/

Sounds like all that adds up to more than an occasional track day.

>down to earth, low key, has zero interest in useless brand name ****,

If she is so "down to earth .. useless interest in brand name ", she'd be encouraging you to use the "engagement ring" funds to pay off your loans.

No reason you couldn't buy ring(s) (if you really want to), after you're making some $$.

Bikes are a luxury that you can defer. You are right to get rid of your student loan as quickly as possible. You could ride street on a 300 for minimal cost, but the decision is yours. There are many other hobbies out there for you to learn.

Bikes will always be there for you. You know yourself the best, and if you risk a hta 172 then best stay in a car.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you have a bike and debt outstanding. I would have used the bike money to pay down the money owed.

It sounds like she's a real "princess", of course your choice :/

Sounds like all that adds up to more than an occasional track day.

>down to earth, low key, has zero interest in useless brand name ****,

If she is so "down to earth .. useless interest in brand name ", she'd be encouraging you to use the "engagement ring" funds to pay off your loans.

No reason you couldn't buy ring(s) (if you really want to), after you're making some $$.

Okay, here's the drill down version:

$50 a month budgeted for dates (which includes paying for myself, this is approximately 2 dates). We mostly do Swiss Chalet. She'll take me out to more expensive things.

$50 a month on her gifts (which I rollover to the next month) to get her things like noise cancelling headphones because I am a rage gamer at times and don't want to disturb her when she's watching shows

And the engagement ring...she said she'd be happy with anything and to not get anything over $1,000. So I'm putting $30 a month (loans should be done in approx 3 years) which will amount to around $1100 in 3 years.

All of the above has been my choice and not hers. I've dated enough ****** girls to know she is vastly different from the majority of gold digging whores out there that just want a sugar daddy.

I'm surprised you have a bike and debt outstanding. I would have used the bike money to pay down the money owed.

I was young a very stupid when this started 5 years ago lol

Bikes will always be there for you. You know yourself the best, and if you risk a hta 172 then best stay in a car.

My gf always drives. When she doesn't, I will ramp in her 2007 Yaris and make the tires squeal.

Translation..... Shes got you by the nut pouch. Trap dude. Run, don't walk. IMO

Seriously? He's living mortgage/rent free so he can pay off his student loan, and all he has to do is show her some TLC. He's making the gesture of giving up the track bike to show he's not taking advantage of the situation, and to pay off his debt faster. If she see's he's suffering serious bike withdrawal she'll make a gesture back, say encourage him to try dirt, etc.

It's called supporting each other the best you can with what you've got. That's what you do when you're in a good relationship. The last thing the OP should do is run away from a relationship like that.

Seriously? He's living mortgage/rent free so he can pay off his student loan, and all he has to do is show her some TLC. He's making the gesture of giving up the track bike to show he's not taking advantage of the situation, and to pay off his debt faster. If she see's he's suffering serious bike withdrawal she'll make a gesture back, say encourage him to try dirt, etc.

It's called supporting each other the best you can with what you've got. That's what you do when you're in a good relationship. The last thing the OP should do is run away from a relationship like that.
No M'am.... Any dude with cojones and a bit of experience would get out of Dodge.

x2. Lots of people toss financial responsibility in the toilet in the interest of "Dood, gotta have fun man, wooo!", but honestly, it sounds like our OP has his priorities straight here to me.

I got out of riding for 20 years. Marriage, kids, career. I came back to it last fall and am enjoying it again. I managed.

I got out of flying about 7 or 8 years ago (although I maintain my licence) simply because the financials were stupid - I was spending $1000/month flying around for basically my own entertainment. I decided to buy a big travel trailer and travel the continent with my family instead - a much wiser way to spend that money. We had a ball, we traveled many tens of thousands of K with that trailer (coast to coast) and made a lot of memories. Do I miss flying? Absolutely, and I hope to be able to return to it in a few years when other financial obligations go away, but dude...sometimes you have to make the right decisions, not the ones that seem like more fun at this particular moment in time.

油井緋色;2439668 said:
.....and has spent 28 years of her life single and independent...

Lets say she moved out at 16 years old to be independent... makes her 44 years old. You're what, under 25 by appearances...
Can you say, SUGAR MOMMY?!?! Nice...

Back
Top Bottom