Quitting for 5 years, anyone do this before? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quitting for 5 years, anyone do this before?

Switch to dirt! Cheaper to buy, much cheaper to run. A Ganny season pass is about half the cost of 1 track day fee, plus you can go when ever you want. If you just ride track, then you've already got the trailer & vehicle to haul your dirt bike.

Try a day at Trail Tours to see if this will give you your fix!

I missed this post, will look into it.

Usually means that a big expense of an engagement ring is in your near future.

She told me it's okay to pay less OSAP so I could ride, my pride and responsibility can't do that.

Yesterday she asked me how much a really good track bike costs...then said she'll start saving so she can help me get one in 5 years.

I started saving for the engagement ring a while ago =)

Even a cheap ugly old running bike is better than none.

^ This.

油井緋色;2439612 said:
I'm more inline with you than others in this thread I think. I'm addicted to the adrenaline and rush of trying to get faster...and will probably be grumpy as **** if I don't get my fix lol

But I don't think what riceburner said is in-line with your "go-fast" attitude... to me, if the choice was between no bike or commuter/beater/non-glamorous/el-cheapo bike; riding casually on the beater bike would be the choice.

Switch to dirt! Cheaper to buy, much cheaper to run. A Ganny season pass is about half the cost of 1 track day fee, plus you can go when ever you want. If you just ride track, then you've already got the trailer & vehicle to haul your dirt bike.

Try a day at Trail Tours to see if this will give you your fix!

THIS is what I will eventually graduate to, too. I can foresee my finances being crippled once my wife gets preg0rz, and the motorcycle will probably be the first thing we decide to get rid of. After that I'll be on the hunt for something with long(er) travel suspension, and a small trailer.

Guessing you are selling the bike to use that money to pay stuff down? If you only do track that means no insurance, and if the bike was paid for in full, expenses would be minimal (and dependent on how many track days you do per year), would it not?

track fees - $140 - $240 / day

transportation / gas - $50 - $150 depending on weather you own a truck / trailer or have to rent

food / drinks - $20 - $40

so lets average that out at $300ish a day

you haven't included tires yet, more frequent maintenance and repairs, crashes, time off work if you go mid week......and the list goes on

tell me again about those minimal expenses ...........

ninja 250 for the street. it should have cheap insurance

^ What he said.

I'm paying $650 for the year on my Ninja 300. Turning 25 next month, hopefully it drops to below $500 for the year.. Would be cheaper than 2 track days to keep on the road. :p Would be worth keeping even if I rode once a week.

I once quit riding for almost 2 years in the 80's. The girl I lived with at the time was nicknamed 'Mini Farrah Fawcett" and she hated motorcycles. I put my GS850L in storage in my parents garage. I stand by my decision. But I would never make that sacrifice again. I'm older and Wiser.

....and no, she didn't pay my rent. I take care of myself.

Last edited:
^ What he said.

I'm paying $650 for the year on my Ninja 300. Turning 25 next month, hopefully it drops to below $500 for the year.. Would be cheaper than 2 track days to keep on the road. :p Would be worth keeping even if I rode once a week.

You rode with me before. I will just end up ramping with the 300 lol

Dirt bike for sure! I stopped riding on the street for two years and picked up a dirt bike. Get a cheap 2 stroke because it's easy to work on and parts are cheap. You'll learn a ton of skills that can be applied down the line and if a rush is what your after it provides it and a great workout. Most tracks it costs about $30 for a day of riding and even racing is relatively affordable.

I have another street bike now along with the mx bikes as I did miss being able to just go to the garage and ride but considering you only did track that shouldn't be much of an issue.

ninja 250 for the street. it should have cheap insurance

^ What he said.

OP doesn't ride street today, so any street bike situation is gonna cost. A green plated dirt bike requires liability insurance only. Ganny season pass was $150 if you bought before the start of the season. SCORRA is even less. Picking up a cheap woods bike and doing your own maintenance is the cheapest way to stay on 2 wheels, & big fun too.

200 a month...gf paying rent...wtf is going on there?? Where the **** do I find a woman who will provide for ME while I barely have enough left over to buy my weed for the month let alone take her out??

I'd be ashamed to live like that. Ninja 250, cheap insurance and no payments FTW!!!

Do you really have to quit or can you downsize?? I've been looking at bikes like the 959 Panigale or S1000r and while I'd be ok putting down 7-8 grand and making payments I'm still at a stage in life where I'd rather have more money to myself while still being completely satisfied with a lesser bike for the next few years coming from a 250. I decided the more sensible thing for now is to buy a used 600 in cash (09-12 ZX6r or Daytona 675 only) and get my fancy bike after 30 when I'll be a bit more settled with a greater disposable income.

Last edited:
200 a month...gf paying rent...wtf is going on there?? Where the **** do I find a woman who will provide for ME while I barely have enough left over to buy my weed for the month let alone take her out??

I'd be ashamed to live like that. Ninja 250, cheap insurance and no payments FTW!!!

Do you really have to quit or can you downsize?? I've been looking at bikes like the 959 Panigale or S1000r and while I'd be ok putting down 7-8 grand and making payments I'm still at a stage in life where I'd rather have more money to myself while still being completely satisfied with a lesser bike for the next few years coming from a 250. I decided the more sensible thing for now is to buy a used 600 in cash (09-12 ZX6r or Daytona 675 only) and get my fancy bike after 30 when I'll be a bit more settled with a greater disposable income.

Why?

I never provided my monthly expenses breakdown btw, but it includes investments, taking the girl out, her birthday presents, and an engagement ring.

EDIT: This is going to get off topic but she's also more educated than me (Masters vs Bachelors), makes 30% more than me, but is down to earth, low key, has zero interest in useless brand name ****, and has spent 28 years of her life single and independent. I had a choice between moving in with her and making her life easier by paying for groceries, doing dishes, maintaining her car, etc. and building our future or staying with my parents and saving money. I chose the first and now have to give up the bike (temporarily) as the result. I could move back home...but I'm not investing time into anything there anymore.

EDIT EDIT:

The main issue is have no interest in street riding. It's just gonna lead to an HTA172 ticket. With $200 a month I have a choice of upgrading computer parts, buying video games, or what not which would last me hundreds of hours...or a trackday every once in a while. If I had around $400-$800 disposable a month that would be much easier and I can hit that amount much sooner if I just dump everything I can into getting student loans out of the way.

Last edited:
track fees - $140 - $240 / day

transportation / gas - $50 - $150 depending on weather you own a truck / trailer or have to rent

food / drinks - $20 - $40

so lets average that out at $300ish a day

you haven't included tires yet, more frequent maintenance and repairs, crashes, time off work if you go mid week......and the list goes on

tell me again about those minimal expenses ...........

My point is, for the street your only option is to pay insurance for the full year. For track, you can determine how many track days you want to do. Using your $300 example, you could do 1 for $300, 2 for $600, etc depending on what your cash flow allowed. If the bike is paid for, and you choose to do none, then it costs you a total of $0 for that year (well maybe $100 since you'd likely want to change oil and potentially other fluids at least once a year). Granted, he did say he needs some work done on the bike, so there would likely be other costs to make it track-worthy.

Unless you are still paying off the bike or need the money, you'd end up better off keeping it for now, vs selling and then having to buy another bike...unless you figure you'll want a different track bike in 5 years time.

My point is, for the street your only option is to pay insurance for the full year. For track, you can determine how many track days you want to do. Using your $300 example, you could do 1 for $300, 2 for $600, etc depending on what your cash flow allowed. If the bike is paid for, and you choose to do none, then it costs you a total of $0 for that year (well maybe $100 since you'd likely want to change oil and potentially other fluids at least once a year). Granted, he did say he needs some work done on the bike, so there would likely be other costs to make it track-worthy. Unless you are still paying off the bike or need the money, you'd end up better off keeping it for now, vs selling and then having to buy another bike...unless you figure you'll want a different track bike in 5 years time.

You bring up a good point. I was planning to dump everything I get from the bike straight to the loans to expediate the process but in 5 years I'd have to rebuy many things again...

GEt her a piece of coal as an engagement ring and tell her your love lasts an eternity which is what it will take for the coal to turn into a diamond. There, just saved you a few grand.

Call me old fashioned, but I agree!

Or at least I wouldn't publicize it on a public forum.

油井緋色;2439657 said:
You rode with me before. I will just end up ramping with the 300 lol

Wouldn't be any different if you were on the GSXR if you weren't on the track.

Maybe, get a Grom and get into Gymkhana? ;)

Last edited:
Wouldn't be any different if you were on the GSXR if you weren't on the track.

Maybe, get a Grom and get into Gymkhana? ;)

I'm actually looking into perhaps teaching (a friend of mine will recommend me).

I'll have to see though because I'm starting to take my career a lot more seriously so it may be worthwhile to work on some pet projects on weekends during the next 5 years.

Sounds like a keeper!

Not sure if you have one, but maybe ditch the computer instead, and get a part time job to fill in the now abundant leisure hours?

Back
Top Bottom