Age discrimination and severance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Age discrimination and severance

I don't think we are designed to retire, any more than we should stop exercising. Work makes us happy. When the original age 65 retirement age was set up, that was about people's lifespan. Retirement is something you're supposed to want to do, but unless you are really miserable in your job is probably a bad idea.

So far as something that old people should do to make way for younger people, why so? What's so special about younger people?

So far as something that old people should do to make way for younger people, why so? What's so special about younger people?

They deserve it, don't you know?

In a way, despite being sarcastic about it, to some extent I do understand the situation and agree that there comes a time that people should move along to make room for the generation behind them, especially when they're more than financially able to do so...but there are people who are quite well off but simply don't want to retire because they're of the "live to work" mindset and don't know when to move on. They just don't know anything other than the routine of work - no hobbies, no social life, no goals...just live to work, instead of work to live. THOSE are the people who need to GFTO.

Now, if people are working beyond 65 because they're not financially able to retire (lack of planning), that's different...there's no reason to push these sorts out the door unless they are failing to actually perform their duties.

Personally, I'm hoping to be able to retire around age 60, and being of the "work to live" mindset I have a big list of hobbies, goals, and adventures already lined up in my head to occupy my retirement years.

Sometimes, people have to realise that there is another generation behind them.

Picture5.JPG

Do you really have to work to keep yourself busy? One of my neighbours chinese lady probably mid 40s spends like 6hrs a day on her yard. It might be 35 degrees out there but she's at it.

Do you really have to work to keep yourself busy? One of my neighbours chinese lady probably mid 40s spends like 6hrs a day on her yard. It might be 35 degrees out there but she's at it.

You haven't worked with some of the people I've worked with obviously. These people's lives revolve around their job. They work as many hours as they are offered...we had one guy who was working 18 hour days, sleeping in his car in the parking lot, and coming back to do it all over again. I know people who work 14-15 hours every day, 6 days a week, and are dying to get back to worth after the 1 day off that they didn't even really want.

Sad if you do. I'm now back at work after a self imposed year+ off. There's no shortage of stuff to do. Maybe living in a filing cabinet in a concrete jungle eight miles from the nearest tree would provide extra challenges but you (not you specifically) could always loiter at the variety store.

I'm going to keep tabs on this thread until such time somebody coughs up the sly reference.

I'm going to keep tabs on this thread until such time somebody coughs up the sly reference.

There's a 34% chance that'll never happen.

Logan's Run

Some irony in that many are having their first child in their late 30s will see many of us in a similar position of working into our 60s to see children launched and to have a comfortable retirement. Not to worry Justin has a plan.

Big mortgages to afford a basic home combined with poor performance of pension investments and the disappearance of the defined benefit pension (outside of the public sector ) does not bode well for early retirement for many.

Last edited:
66% man just arrived to save Inreb's day!

It's a start. After I get my chicken sustenance I'll run it thru the googler and synthesize the first 10,000 hits.

What's with the Chinese? I knew a Chinese lady whose dream was to be able to tidy up the house the way she really wanted, like clean around the kitchen sink with a Q-tip. A motorcycle engine I could understand.

You know probably 90% of the forum membership won't get your oh so sly reference, right? ;)

It's not like life runs out and ends at 30 in the real world any more.

Logan's Run
In that case...I'm a green. I swear.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom