Any garage recommendations? Brake pads change | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any garage recommendations? Brake pads change

Tjf

Hey guys,

I've put around 10,000 kms on my 2012 NInja 250r and I need a brake pad change (probably front and rear). Does anyone have any recommendations on a shop I could go to?

I got quoted 280$ by Snow city cycle marine in Scarborough (however they can't do it until end of august), and around the same by another garage.

Anyone have any recommendations where I can get this done for somewhat cheap (will pay 200 or so if need be), and preferably done that day night or the next day?

Thank you all, happy and safe riding!

EDIT: MY APOLOGIES!! I live near York University.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I've put around 10,000 kms on my 2012 NInja 250r and I need a brake pad change (probably front and rear). Does anyone have any recommendations on a shop I could go to?

I got quoted 280$ by Snow city cycle marine in Scarborough (however they can't do it until end of august), and around the same by another garage.

Anyone have any recommendations where I can get this done for somewhat cheap (will pay 200 or so if need be), and preferably done that day night or the next day?

Thank you all, happy and safe riding!

Check with the guys at 109 Cycle (itf you're in the east end), they can likely do it cheaper and quicker. http://109cycle.com/

If you don't mind riding out to Brampton , frekeyguy here on GTAM (motomechto on facebook) does great work for a reasonable price. Most likely you can drop off the bike at a convienent time for both and pick up same day.

Changing brake pads is a fairly easy, not-too-messy way to get your feet wet with maintenance, with a minimal of tools required. You can even do it in a parking lot!
Watch a couple videos and see if you agree. Pads are cheap. The labour charges will kill ya!

My apologies on forgetting my location!!!! I live near York University.

I will check out the DIY vids for brake pad changes...if it isnt too hard then I will definitely do it myself. Until then, some cheap recommendations would be great

If you don't mind riding out to Brampton , frekeyguy here on GTAM (motomechto on facebook) does great work for a reasonable price. Most likely you can drop off the bike at a convienent time for both and pick up same day.
+1 for Frekeyguy. No dealer can match his rates or even close, and few mechanics care more than he does.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Do it yourself. It's a few bolts, literally.

YouTube is your friend.

+1 for DIY. Very easy to do in most cases. Save yourself some $$$

Parts shouldn't cost more than $100 front and rear for the pads (if you need rotors that's a different story). Then about an hours worth of time. Get some brake fluid and bleed the brakes while you're at it.

With only 10,000k on your 250 you shouldn't be needing to replace pads, especially the rears.

Even when new, pads don't have much material on them.

Who told you they needed replacing?

I got quoted 280$ by Snow city cycle marine in Scarborough

Good God, how do these shops look themselves in the mirror quoting $300 for a 20 minute job, with $20 worth of parts?

Go to KapsocoMoto in Pickering in pickup a set of pads there. They're good pads for a 250 and will set you back all of $15.99 for the set. They'll ship them to your door for a few dollars if pickering is too far for you.

Secondly, if you have even a few basic hand tools, replace them yourself. Heck, you could probably buy all the tools you'll need at Dollarama for under $10 if need be.

Even with zero knowledge it shouldn't take you more than a few hours (likely around 1, honestly) and there are countless websites and YouTube videos that will walk you through it step by step. You'll be amazed at how simple it is.

In the end you'll wonder how a shop has the balls to charge someone $300 for the job.

With only 10,000k on your 250 you shouldn't be needing to replace pads, especially the rears.

Ultimately, I agree with this. 10K isn't that much unless you use your brakes in a sporty fashion regularly. If you want to change them anyways simply as part of a "just because" type thing, honestly....consider the above and do it yourself.

10k is very soon. Probably a shop told him that

If you are near YorkU, then http://corsameccanica.com/ is not too far away.

Dufferin and Steeles. (Gerry Fitzgerald and Steeles, in the plaza on the northwest corner, across from Starbucks).

Nice people. I trust them to do good work and treat me honestly. However, you can expect them to charge you full price for parts and labour.

I ended up doing the job myself. Took around an hour or so! Was not hard at all.

No one told me I needed new brake pads, and my rears still had arnd 5000km more on them I'd say, but my fronts were pretty much gone!! I don't really engine break much, so I'll be starting that...and using my rears more as well.

I just wanted to make sure the brake pads weren't worn out or going to be worn out anytime soon since I'm probably selling it this fall or spring to a new rider...thanks for all your help!

Congrats, it's super easy to save money doing little general maintenance items like this yourself. Oil changes are another cash cow for motorcycle shops that you can save money doing yourself. ;)

As for engine braking vs normal braking, don't go crazy - remember, brake pads are cheaper than tires and clutches. ;)

Back
Top Bottom