Get out there Perseids meteor shower - big one | GTAMotorcycle.com

Get out there Perseids meteor shower - big one

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Harlan-Thomas-TWP322_RR10-Perseid-081016_SW_1470885282_lg.png

PERSEID METEOR OUTBURST--TONIGHT! Earth is approaching a thicket of debris from comet Swift-Tuttle, source of the annual Perseid meteor shower. When Earth plows through the debris field on Aug. 11-12, the fireworks will begin. Forecasters expect an outburst of Perseid meteors numbering 200+ per hour. Scroll past this photo of an early Perseid, taken by Harlan Thomas on August 10th northeast of Calgary, for more information and observing tips:

http://spaceweather.com

If it's clear - take a night ride to a dark place.....200 per hour is incredible.

Forecasters seem to always say there's going to be hundreds an hour yet just about every time I've gone out over the years to watch the Perseids, the Leonids, the Geminids and so on, I don't see anything close to 3 or 4 a minute. Of course, I'll give it a go again this year -- weather doesn't look promising -- but I don't expect to be dazzled. :p

For a truly impressive show, you have to get far enough out of Toronto so the city's lights don't interfere.
About 100 km north should be enough.

I had the same experience last year - only one or two per minute. Took the pickup truck up Keele St - North of Kirby, where there are no street lights or nearby houses. Parked off road and set up camping lounge chairs in the back.

was up in killarney prov. park for this once...it was spectacular !!
thanks for the reminder mac-dee !

They say after midnight is best and obviously less light pollution..there are light pollution maps available. Im heading up north a bit from me in the pickup truck with some blankets and going to see a great show!

I'm lucky as we have two dark skies preserves near me, one is the most southerly in the province and maybe the country, not sure. However, I've mostly been disappointed by the forecasts and might only go out if we are being invaded by alien spacecraft, and that's only if there's nothing good on TV.

60 an hour - 1 per minute is a high forecast and for this particular shower is a lot .... it has a lot of fireballs.

200 per hour forecast????....should be very good depending on the moon and clouds.

If you look back I doubt you can substantiate that "100s per hour forecast" claim.

Thanks for the reminder. That was cool

Went out last night and sat on the dock, but there was too much cloud cover over my way. I heard you could see them down in Kingston though. Maybe tonight will be clearer. L

Is it playing tonight?

It's that time of year again and looks clear. Might take a late night ride to York Soaring.

the-radiant-of-the-perseids.jpg

Forget the eclipse for a moment: Perseid meteor shower set to peak tonight
We could see 100 meteors per hour in dark-sky locations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/perseid-meteor-shower-peak-1.4231217

very nice night ...might just park in the zero gravity chair in the back yard for a hour at peak after midnight.....lots dark enough for the fireballs.

170719_Perseid_Full.jpg

this was over Finland....I saw a pair of "in formation" fireballs maybe not quite that bright during the Leonids ....that was the best shower I've seen way more than 60 per hour.

Last edited:
For a truly impressive show, you have to get far enough out of Toronto so the city's lights don't interfere.
About 100 km north should be enough.

I tried that before and then I couldn't see because of the lights from Barrie and Orillia.

Back
Top Bottom