GROM ebike knock-off | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GROM ebike knock-off

Interesting video from the opp. I was not aware that passengers on an ebike must be 16.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Opens up the law for interpretation and challenged doesn't it? A bicycle can do a lot more than 32 KPH coming down a hill. E-bike lawyers will be all over this. IE person X is sailing down a hill on Airport Road at 37 KPH on his e-bike and gets passed by person Y on a bicycle doing 65 KPH. Cop has radar on the e-bike and charges him for 5 over. Were the e-bike riders rights violated? Interesting times in the HTA! Dirtbike rider with a full M and insurance is doing 5 KPH on the side a of one lane highway trying to get to a trail. He gets charged for riding an unfit vehicle on the highway. The courts will ask "who is more qualified"... or" what is more qualified? Or they should be asking these questions. Can of worms has been opened here.

Last edited:
Opens up the law for interpretation and challenged doesn't it? A bicycle can do a lot more than 32 KPH coming down a hill. E-bike lawyers will be all over this. IE person X is sailing down a hill on Airport Road at 37 KPH on his e-bike and gets passed by person Y on a bicycle doing 65 KPH. Cop has radar on the e-bike and charges him for 5 over. Were the e-bike riders rights violated? Interesting times in the HTA! Dirtbike rider with a full M and insurance is doing 5 KPH on the side a of one lane highway trying to get to a trail. He gets charged for riding an unfit vehicle on the highway. The courts will ask "who is more qualified"... or" what is more qualified? Or they should be asking these questions. Can of worms has been opened here.

valid point but no cans of worms

I think the govt is helping business out and making their taxes...flooding the market AND THEN
WHAMO, just like they did with the mopeds license, registration, insurance please.

@MLadin watch it again. He explicitly says on level ground. I was curious too as my 260 lbs would probably bring that up to 60 kmh on a downhill

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

@MLadin watch it again. He explicitly says on level ground. I was curious too as my 260 lbs would probably bring that up to 60 kmh on a downhill

I caught that as well. So 40 KPH on a bicycle?

I caught that as well. So 40 KPH on a bicycle?
Didn't he also say that you cannot get a speeding ticket on a bicycle?

valid point but no cans of worms

I think the govt is helping business out and making their taxes...flooding the market AND THEN
WHAMO, just like they did with the mopeds license, registration, insurance please.
Perhaps I guess they just don't know what to do with them, so they've made these laws to avoid banning them like some American cities. At least it gets people around to spend money and get to school / work (for the DUI or less fortunate person). Anything in Ontario is better than a ban. We're such a nanny province. Let natural selection take place. If they start dying in record numbers I'm sure the government will run away from the permissive legislation. I do feel bad for dirtbike kids who know how to ride and get pinched, Some of them with licenses and insurance. Perhaps an M3 license would solve that? Basic knowledge of motorcycle / off road license that at least shows you know what you're doing. Or lower the age of the M1 / M2 so a teenager who really knows how to ride can at least ride the side of the road. Make it so they can only get the M at age 16. Just like the old days.

Perhaps I guess they just don't know what to do with them, so they've made these laws to avoid banning them like some American cities. At least it gets people around to spend money and get to school / work (for the DUI or less fortunate person). Anything in Ontario is better than a ban. We're such a nanny province. Let natural selection take place. If they start dying in record numbers I'm sure the government will run away from the permissive legislation. I do feel bad for dirtbike kids who know how to ride and get pinched, Some of them with licenses and insurance. Perhaps an M3 license would solve that? Basic knowledge of motorcycle / off road license that at least shows you know what you're doing. Or lower the age of the M1 / M2 so a teenager who really knows how to ride can at least ride the side of the road. Make it so they can only get the M at age 16. Just like the old days.

no go my friend! new days make govt more money
remember no lic or ins needed for moped under 50cc then that changed
well this is the electric moped, soon to change

Didn't he also say that you cannot get a speeding ticket on a bicycle?

He said "speeding doesn't apply to bicycles or e-bikes but if you get caught doing 45 KPH on an your e-bike, your e-bike doesn't qualify as an e-bike anymore." Huh? So your bicycle doesn't qualify as a bicycle anymore? This article proves how little knowledge police have of bicycles: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ivers-licence/article19191769/?service=mobile In the US and UK you can get done for speeding on a bicycle.

Last edited:
Very strange...my BIL was a junior Canadian champion cyclist. I've driven by/ with his group while they were out for one of their 150+ km days (don't fret, I was in the cage) they routinely exceeded 40 kmh.

Honda.ca's website shows a new 2015 model Grom going for $3,399. The ebike Grom knock off I test rode was sticker priced at $3,100.

Same ball park, as far as I'm concerned.

You forgot to mention Honda resale...good luck with ANY brand knockoff

@BusaBob the part about 16 years old threw me off. CT was selling Razor iirc branded Vespa style scooters that would be much too small for most 16 year olds. All the 10 year olds were riding them. But they did not go anywhere near 32kmh

What safety requirements are in place for e-bikes?
To operate an e-bike on Ontario's public roads, the following vehicle safety and operator requirements are in place :

• E-bikes must not weigh more than 120 kg (includes the weight of bike and battery).
  • All operators and passengers must be at least 16 years of age.
  • All operators and passengers must wear an approved bicycle or motorcycle helmets.
  • All electrical terminals must be completely covered.
  • Two independent braking systems consistent with requirements for motorcycles and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds) that applies force to each wheel and is capable of bringing the e-bike, while being operated at a speed of 30 km/h, to a full stop within 9 metres from the point at which the brakes were applied.
  • The minimum wheel width or diameter cannot be less than 35mm/350mm.
  • No modifications to the motor to allow it to exceed a power output greater than 500W and a speed greater than 32 km/h.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles-faq.shtml

that last point is 32 km/h on level ground, motor only.

Last edited:
ebike mod
turbo button for extra speed :)

do they swap the motors for faster more powerful motors?

ebike mod
turbo button for extra speed :)

do they swap the motors for faster more powerful motors?

you are limited to a 500W motor and there is a speed governor. I'm sure things can be swapped. It's only a machine

Back
Top Bottom